Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoSciotta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Hello everyone,
I'm facing a situation when every time I receive an invitation that came from a different time zone neither iCal, iPhone’s Calendar nor iPad’s Calendar recognizes it correctly.

Below there are a couple of examples, but before, a few information about my environment: Mac OS X Lion with Outlook for Mac (non-exchange user), I’m using iCloud, and my iPhone and iPad are running iOS5. And BTW, I’m not intending to sync anything with Outlook… I know it does not support iCloud syncing, I just trying to live without that.

First example.
I got an invitation to a meeting on Monday 5pm-6pm CET, but I’m in GMT-2. It should appear to me as an event to occur on Monday2pm-3pm (GMT-2). In fact only Outlook shows the right time, however when I dragged and dropped that appointment from Outlook’s calendar to iCal it was copied but is did not consider the time zone, that means in the iCal, the appointment was set to occur from 5pm-6pm (GMT-2), instead of 2pm-3pm (GMT-2).

Second example.
I created an appointment in Outlook by myself, jsut to check if that would be something related to the senders’ computer (Outlook/Windows user), then I set that meeting to occur on Friday 5pm-6pm (UTC+1) and I sent an invitation to a friend of mine (Outlook/Mac User). In my Outlook the appointment was created correctly, that means, on Friday 2pm-3pm (GMT-2), however, when I copied that meeting to iCal it did not consider the time zone, appearing to be Friday 5pm-6pm (GMT-2), and when my friend opened the invitation in his iPhone, which is also set as GMT-2, that also appeared to him as a meeting on Friday 5pm-6pm (GMT-2).

I also checked all possible time zones configurations, in the iPhone, iPad, iCloud and in my MacBook (iCal and Outlook)…all time zones are enabled and configured as GMT-2.

As an last shoot, I decided to download a third-party software, which is integrated with iCal and iCloud, in order to check if that could be an Apple’s issue. I downloaded and installed the BusyCal (from BusyMac). And guess what?! When I dragged & dropped the same meetings I described above from Outlook to BusyCal, it worked perfectly!! And BusyCal sent the proper information to iCal and my iPhone/iPad over iCloud. Which means: #1 there would be no issue with my configurations, and #2 BusyCal does really takes into consideration time zones, which is something that Apple’s calendars looks like do not.
It will not solve the issue I'm having with my mobile devices, but at least is a workaround… BTW, an expensive workaround, because BusyCal costs $49, by now I’m using the 30 days trial version.

So friends, is there anyone who could help to find a real solution? :) , or at least, a free workaround...

Thank you in advance and I apologize for this “article”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.