Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaxonet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Dear All

Need some help with FAN wire Mac Mini 2011 2.3 Ghz

In the process of adding a new 1 TB harddrive i F..... UP, when i pulled the connector of, but not more then i could attach the wires once more at the base of the motherboard.

But i have this feeling that something isn't right about the wiring from the Fan to the Connector.

I followed this Guide http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/36000/How+to+connect+the+fan

because it was the same that happend i had the 4 wires pulled out of the connector. Great

Afterwords i booted up without the buttom plate, and the Fan was spinning. From the readings in Hardware monitor and istat it was running at 1800 RPM, so i was joyfully happe and 1 TB more data was in place...

But in order to test the fan i opened up two terminals and executed the following command
Open Terminal.app
Enter: yes > /dev/null

This made the the CPU run 100 % and the temperature increased, i closed down the terminal at 80 degree Celsius because the Fan speed didn't go up, i would expect that.

In order to test if i could raise the speed i used smcfancontrol, and set it for 4000 RPM, this made the fan speed up and i could easily hear the difference.

So i would like to ask if someone could do me this favor and open up there Mac Mini and tell me if something is wrong with my wiring

i have taken these pictures that u can use to make a comment

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

Just tell me the order of the wires from the starting point, use the numbers from the first picture
so number one goes to the 1st or 2nd and so on from the memory side picture two

Thz alot for your time and help

zaxonet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It seems that i was to nerves about the temperature

i am now converting a movie for the apple tv and the fan automatically went up, but not before the i hit around 90 on one of the sensors.

so i leave the case SOLVED for now

tomorrow when i have the time i will take a picture so that anyone else that runs into this problem can look at the wire schema

Thz All

voltex

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
It seems that i was to nerves about the temperature

i am now converting a movie for the apple tv and the fan automatically went up, but not before the i hit around 90 on one of the sensors.

so i leave the case SOLVED for now

tomorrow when i have the time i will take a picture so that anyone else that runs into this problem can look at the wire schema

Thz All

I would appreciate if you'd post the picture as I made the same mistake and have to reattach the wires in the correct order!

Thanks in advance

Keda

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I made a similar mistake when I was changing the HD in my 2010 Mini. I pried the clip from the bottom, and pulled it off the logic board (idiot move). Today, I took the Mac down to a repair shop, and they soldered the wires back into place.

The fan is running at 100%. The fan sensor (speed & temp) is not showing up on any of my apps. When I reset the PMU, the fan slows for a moment, then picks back up. I am also trying to figure out if the wire order is correct.

Tatt00Junk1e

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Dear All

Need some help with FAN wire Mac Mini 2011 2.3 Ghz

In the process of adding a new 1 TB harddrive i F..... UP, when i pulled the connector of, but not more then i could attach the wires once more at the base of the motherboard.

But i have this feeling that something isn't right about the wiring from the Fan to the Connector.

I followed this Guide http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/36000/How+to+connect+the+fan

because it was the same that happend i had the 4 wires pulled out of the connector. Great

Afterwords i booted up without the buttom plate, and the Fan was spinning. From the readings in Hardware monitor and istat it was running at 1800 RPM, so i was joyfully happe and 1 TB more data was in place...

But in order to test the fan i opened up two terminals and executed the following command
Open Terminal.app
Enter: yes > /dev/null

This made the the CPU run 100 % and the temperature increased, i closed down the terminal at 80 degree Celsius because the Fan speed didn't go up, i would expect that.

In order to test if i could raise the speed i used smcfancontrol, and set it for 4000 RPM, this made the fan speed up and i could easily hear the difference.

So i would like to ask if someone could do me this favor and open up there Mac Mini and tell me if something is wrong with my wiring

i have taken these pictures that u can use to make a comment

Just tell me the order of the wires from the starting point, use the numbers from the first picture
so number one goes to the 1st or 2nd and so on from the memory side picture two

Thz alot for your time and help

I did the same mistake with my brand new mac mini *******
How is your mini working was the placement of the cables right?

Do i understand right... cable nr:1 on the upper picture nearest the memory and then cable nr:2 on the upper picture after cable nr:1 on the lower picture.

or im just dumb here..... ;)

kchase731

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
I made a similar mistake when I was changing the HD in my 2010 Mini. I pried the clip from the bottom, and pulled it off the logic board (idiot move). Today, I took the Mac down to a repair shop, and they soldered the wires back into place.

The fan is running at 100%. The fan sensor (speed & temp) is not showing up on any of my apps. When I reset the PMU, the fan slows for a moment, then picks back up. I am also trying to figure out if the wire order is correct.

this same thing happened to me on my 2011. it was a bad soldier on the hearder from the factory, apple will not fix it so i had it soldiered right to the board and now i have a fan at 100%.

were you able to fix this?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I did something similar last night on my 2011 Mini during an SSD upgrade. I pulled the damn IR connector and power indicator light connector off the logic board :mad: was using a nylon pry tool and instead of coming unplugged, the receptacle snapped right off. I suppose I can deal with that loss, but I'm worried about any warranty implications later.

sunshinee81

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
I did the SSD upgrade watching a youtube video where it showed him easily disconnecting the fan. I stopped trying to unhook the fan when I noticed one of the wires were sliding out of the connector. I left the fan attached and proceed to do everything else and was able to do the hard drive upgrade without disconnecting the fan.

I would recommend leaving the fan connected and save the grief of trying to unhook. I was scared as well that I had screwed up my fan. This is my first apple computer ever and I love it!! the thing screams with SSD and 8 GiGs of ram at 1600mhz!

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I had problems with that fan as well: The cable came off easily, but when I pressed it back on when reassembling, it turns out that it wasn't seated properly (even though I remember clicking it in place).

I never noticed the fan wasn't running until after I put it all back together and happened to touch the case during the OS reinstall to the new drive. It was burning hot.

When I turned it over and took the base off, I saw the fan wasn't running at all. Hope I didn't overcook the CPU but it's been fine since. I'm surprised it allowed itself to start like that, but I imagine any warnings wouldn't appear until the OS was installed (and I removed the boot drive, so I had to go for a reinstall).

So I'd always recommend checking if the fan still runs, after messing with the cable.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
First post!

This connector had me sweating bullets, when upgrading to SSD also put 8GB of RAM.

If I had to do it again I would cut a thin strip of duct tape and place it on the connector and straightened out wires to help transfer some of the force to the connector and not all on the wires.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.