Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 5, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
kloreo
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro - Unable to connect to the internet

I have a new Macbook pro, which I bought in July of 2011. I am running Snow Leopard on it.

Yesterday, my Macbook Pro stopped connecting to the internet. I restarted the wireless router, stopped Airport and restated it, deleted the the preferred network entry from Network Settings and have reentered the WEP password. I can connect to the wireless network, but it does not allow me to go to the internet. Oh yeah, I have rebooted my Macbook Pro too, and I am still unable to get to the internet.

When I do diagnostics, it says that I have a self-assigned IP address that will not be able to connect to the internet.

I did a backup three days earlier, so I tried booting from my backup drive. I was able to connect to the internet from the back up drive. I do not want to restore from my backup since I will lose three days of data.

Any ideas about what is wrong?
Any ideas of how I can restore my network setting only.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by kloreo; Nov 5, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
kloreo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:01 AM   #2
kloreo
macrumors newbie

For the last three months, I have been able to connect to the internet on the School wireless system here, which happens to be a WEP 128bit protected system. I had no problems for three months. Then, one day, my Macbook Pro no longer allows me to go to the internet. When I called Apple support, I was told that my Macbook Pro has done just that, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I asked if we could troubleshoot. We tried for about 30 minutes, and was unable to fix the problem and get connected to the internet.

This is just pathetic. I think a PC with Windows 7 or 8 is in my future. Mac is as poorly designed as Windows, just more expensive.
kloreo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Inconsequential
macrumors 68000

I've only had this problem with cheap routers and/or multiple AP on the same or similar channels.

Problem is most public bodies use the cheapest AP they can find... However I've never ever EVER had an issue with my Airport Extreme and WRT54GL, i.e. decent routers.

And FYI, restarting into Windows did not help the problem.

PS: This is the Mac Pro forum, not the MacBook Pro forum...
Inconsequential is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro