Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New iphone owner....what's the current best reader? Most of the online reviews are six to 12 months old...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have Red Laser and QRReader. They both seem to work fine when I use them.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
I like Qrafter. Besides being able to read QR codes with the camera, you can read codes that are sent to you via SMS, MMS, and email. You can create a QR from a contact and create a contact from a QR sent to you.

MacInMotion

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
NeoReader

I'm surprised by all the support for RedLaser. While it does read QR codes, I find it annoying to use plus it has a scary privacy policy/terms of service.

I like NeoReader much better. It just works. ;) Open the app, point the camera at the code, and up pops the translation. No fiddling with aligning stuff, no cruft.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
I'm surprised by all the support for RedLaser. While it does read QR codes, I find it annoying to use plus it has a scary privacy policy/terms of service.

I like NeoReader much better. It just works. ;) Open the app, point the camera at the code, and up pops the translation. No fiddling with aligning stuff, no cruft.

Please expand on the bolded statement.

eneirdacalista

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I like Scan. It has never failed to detect any QR codes I've scanned before. My colleagues tried scanning a QR code over lunch and only mine managed to get to the link

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
Besides the scanning portion, do you need anything else? i.e. 60 minutes had a story where people would go to Best Buy and scan the codes and search for a better price. So, what do I need?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Besides the scanning portion, do you need anything else? i.e. 60 minutes had a story where people would go to Best Buy and scan the codes and search for a better price. So, what do I need?

I imagine what you saw on 60 Minutes was just a price comparison app. The QR scanning part is just a quick and easy way to get the product's model number, or SKU. The Amazon app is one where you can scan a bar code or QR code from within the app, and the item will pop up. I think there are a number of shopping apps that check prices across the web, just like there are all over the internet.

Regards,
Tom

myQRad.com

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Red Laser

Red Laser seems to be the most popular and effective tool. I rarely here people complain about it and it works great fro me. If your looking for one tool that does it all, this would be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.