Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:46 AM   #1
elgargui
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
can I install OS 10.6.8 to the new MACBOOK PRO LATE 2011

can I install OS 10.6.8 to the new MACBOOK PRO LATE 2011
elgargui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Generally no, the lowest version of OSX you can install is the version that was installed when you first purchased your mac.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Generally no, the lowest version of OSX you can install is the version that was installed when you first purchased your mac.
Not necessarily the case here, though, as the base logic board is same as early 2011, sharing the same EFI updates. So it may well work, but you'll need the snowleopard disk specifically meant for the early 2011, as they never merged it's version into the general line.
iMacDragon is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
snaky69
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacDragon View Post
Not necessarily the case here, though, as the base logic board is same as early 2011, sharing the same EFI updates. So it may well work, but you'll need the snowleopard disk specifically meant for the early 2011, as they never merged it's version into the general line.
One would have to try with a cloned drive with the latest Snow Leopard on it to know for sure, it'd be a quick and painless way to do it.

As a general rule of thumb though, the earliest version of OS X you can stick on a Mac is the one the computer came with.
__________________
Early 2008 MBP 2.4Ghz Penryn, 4GB RAM, WD Scorpio Black
2012 MBP 2.6Ghz Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 840EVO and 750GB Opti-bay
iPhone 3G, 16GB, Black
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
One would have to try with a cloned drive with the latest Snow Leopard on it to know for sure, it'd be a quick and painless way to do it.

As a general rule of thumb though, the earliest version of OS X you can stick on a Mac is the one the computer came with.
Yeah, usually applies. And may well not work for the high end 2011 due to having slightly different graphics chip, the lower end one is more likely.


But yes, would have to be snow leopard from an early mbp 2011 though, not any other machine.
iMacDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:29 AM   #6
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
iMacDragon is correct and I can confirm 10.6.8 working on the late 2011, but only the lower end graphics. Not to say it won't work, but you will have to wait til someone tests it.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:31 AM   #7
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
iMacDragon is correct and I can confirm 10.6.8 working on the late 2011, but only the lower end graphics. Not to say it won't work, but you will have to wait til someone tests it.
Thought that might be the case.

The higher end one may still work, it depends how fussy the graphics driver is. Both chips are in the same family, and would be driver by the same driver, just depends how fussily they've been setup.
iMacDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Ramasjang
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I got a set of early 2011 DVD's which I used to install 10.6.6 on my late 2011 low end 15".
I did not install the EFI 2.3 update before, I think the new EFI update might limit this, since it 10.6.8 and up.
Ramasjang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
elgargui
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramasjang View Post
I got a set of early 2011 DVD's which I used to install 10.6.6 on my late 2011 low end 15".
I did not install the EFI 2.3 update before, I think the new EFI update might limit this, since it 10.6.8 and up.

thanks a lot ,I will try on it
elgargui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:13 AM   #10
elgargui
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Unhappy

I try install from the 10.6.6 from the early macbook pro 2011 install disc , but failed......
elgargui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Nychot
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ok here is the latest! First some background. A cpl of months ago i bought an early 2011 base 13" mbp. It came from the apple store online as a refurb and had lion on it. I took it to the genius bar and 25 minutes later had sl on it. No problem. I just picked up another base 13 mbp in an open box deal at bestbuy -- a steal at $800. It had lion. I took it to the genius bar, came back an hour later and they couldnt do it. Seems it was a late early 2011 -- shipped by apple in late july 2011 -- and the firmware had been updated ONLY for lion. It really pissed me off cause i have one major pgm that i use that is incompatible with lion. Ms word 2004. I will now have to upgrade On the other hand while i havent spent extensive time with the new lion based mbp yet i do like it. So far lion is VERY fast. Some things are a bit hard to discover or get used to -- mail has some changes and safari does too. But overall i like it. But i will keep my other macs on snow leopard.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:28 AM   #12
MagicBoy
macrumors 65816
 
MagicBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
The 10.6.8 drive from my aluminium MacBook worked without a hitch in my late 2011 15" when transplanted in.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1272607

I don't have the restore discs to test, however installation using a Retail copy and Firewire Target disk mode on the new Mac connected to a compatible older Mac should get a clean copy installed that can be updated to 10.6.8.
__________________
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro with retina display 2.3GHz; Mac mini (2009) 2GHz ;
iPhone 4 32GB ; iPad 16GB Wi-Fi

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:48 AM   #13
.nox
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Why do you wanna do that ?
__________________
MBP 13" 2.26ghz - 8GB - 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue - Snow Leopard 10.6.8
.nox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:55 AM   #14
MagicBoy
macrumors 65816
 
MagicBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
Why do you wanna do that ?
Who are you posing the question to?
__________________
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro with retina display 2.3GHz; Mac mini (2009) 2GHz ;
iPhone 4 32GB ; iPad 16GB Wi-Fi

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:38 PM   #15
CountBrass
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I moved my SSD with SL installed from my 1st gen Mac Pro to my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.

I then used the copy of Lion I'd downloaded for my late-2010 MBA and created a bootable USB and upgraded the MBP.

All works perfectly.

So yes I think SL from any source will work fine.
CountBrass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:21 AM   #16
elgargui
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
Ok here is the latest! First some background. A cpl of months ago i bought an early 2011 base 13" mbp. It came from the apple store online as a refurb and had lion on it. I took it to the genius bar and 25 minutes later had sl on it. No problem. I just picked up another base 13 mbp in an open box deal at bestbuy -- a steal at $800. It had lion. I took it to the genius bar, came back an hour later and they couldnt do it. Seems it was a late early 2011 -- shipped by apple in late july 2011 -- and the firmware had been updated ONLY for lion. It really pissed me off cause i have one major pgm that i use that is incompatible with lion. Ms word 2004. I will now have to upgrade On the other hand while i havent spent extensive time with the new lion based mbp yet i do like it. So far lion is VERY fast. Some things are a bit hard to discover or get used to -- mail has some changes and safari does too. But overall i like it. But i will keep my other macs on snow leopard.
thanks a lot for your post ,and i tried take my mbp to genius bar and didn't worked on 10.6.8, so I think use the SSD installed from early machine maybe can work for

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountBrass View Post
I moved my SSD with SL installed from my 1st gen Mac Pro to my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.

I then used the copy of Lion I'd downloaded for my late-2010 MBA and created a bootable USB and upgraded the MBP.

All works perfectly.

So yes I think SL from any source will work fine.


I will try on it ! thanks a lot !
elgargui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
For those that got 10.6.8 to work on the 2011 MacBook Pro models, does sleep work OK for you?

I find that occasionally the computer (when closed/sleeping) will enter deep sleep/hibernate (even though the battery has quite a high charge >50%).

The power button will then not wake the laptop: I have to physcially plug in the power cable. Then press power button. The system then resumes from hibernate.

Question: what is causing the system to intermittently enter hibernate of its own accord? And why won't it resume without plugging in the power?

I've tried disabling safesleep (change from mode 3 to mode 0), but then it still happens, but to bring the system back up, I still need to plug in the power, press the power button, but then it boots rather than comes out of hibernation (I guess because no sleep image was saved). What I want to do is PREVENT the dropping into hibernate at all (or if it does, not require the power cable!).

I didn't use the system with Lion for more than an hour, so not sure if this could be hardware or OS issue...or perhaps a persistent Firmware setting remaining form the Lion install?
Spectrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
It really pissed me off cause i have one major pgm that i use that is incompatible with lion. Ms word 2004.
Dunno that I'd classify a 9 yo version of Word "major"
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
Ms word 2004..
Word 2004? When I *tried* using that thing on Snow Leopard it was virtually impossible. Very slow. Just upgrade to Pages or Word 2010.
__________________
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro with Studio Display, Late 2008 13'' Black MacBook, 1st generation iPad, iPhone 4S.
Braniff747SP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro - Late 2011 mmSatBoy MacBook Pro 2 Aug 29, 2013 01:17 AM
Resolved: Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (8, 2) Samsung Pro SSD Issues SuperMcGee MacBook Pro 3 Apr 1, 2013 02:33 PM
Help! Early 2011 MacBook Pro or Late 2011 MacBook Pro? PinoyAko MacBook Pro 21 Feb 11, 2013 08:03 PM
Using Macbook Pro Retina as extended monitor for Macbook Pro (late 2011) DC23 MacBook Pro 2 Sep 12, 2012 10:05 PM
Macbook Pro 15' (Retina 2012) vs Macbook Pro 15' (Late 2011) Mac-Tech MacBook Pro 30 Jun 20, 2012 10:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC