Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:22 AM   #1
767Driver
macrumors newbie

Reactivating my iPhone 3Gs? Help!

Newbie question. I apologize for not doing a diligent search first but I am getting quite frustrated with this situation!
About 6 months ago I purchased an unlocked 3Gs from eBay to use with my tmobile account. The phone worked beautifully from the start and I have been enjoying it thoroughly. Well not being very computer/ technology savvy, I attempted to update the phone to the latest software IOS 5.0 via iTunes. Everything appeared to be working normally during the process. However, when it seemed to be complete and in the restart or reactivating phase of the update, that's when the problem started. The PC showed a " no sim card message detected, please unplug and insert sim card..." my tmobile sim card never left the phone at this point! The iPhone displayed an " unable to activate the phone at this time because the servers are unavailable, please try again later..."
My son has tried numerous downloads etc to try and get my phone back up and running but nothing seems to be helping. I really don't want to have to buy another iPhone but do I have any viable choices or alternatives? Is the phone toast at this point? ANY help would be much appreciated!
767Driver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:46 AM   #2
enoC
macrumors 6502

http://jailbreak-me.info/index.php

In other words: You will not get it working, unless you use a simcard from the original carrier. Probably AT&T..

Last edited by enoC; Nov 6, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
enoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Your phone is probably locked to AT&T. By updating you removed the jailbreak and unlock. I don't think there is any way to go back. Sorry.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

That's why you never update or restore to official firmware any iphone that's JB and software unlocked.
It will always lock back to AT&T. The unlock is not forever.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
767Driver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Your phone is probably locked to AT&T. By updating you removed the jailbreak and unlock. I don't think there is any way to go back. Sorry.
The phone was apparently an AT&T phone initially. If I purchase an AT&T sim card or use one from someone else's phone can I reverse the process?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

You can only use the phone on the AT&T network. It is locked for good. If you insist on TMobile you need a different phone.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Driver View Post
The phone was apparently an AT&T phone initially. If I purchase an AT&T sim card or use one from someone else's phone can I reverse the process?
No, that will only let you get into the home screen and use it as an ipod touch. It still wont accept any foreign sims but AT&T's.
You can do a tethered JB on 5.0 and install the ipad bb to unlock but that's a complicated process that Im not sure if you're up for it.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:06 AM   #8
767Driver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
No, that will only let you get into the home screen and use it as an ipod touch. It still wont accept any foreign sims but AT&T's.
You can do a tethered JB on 5.0 and install the ipad bb to unlock but that's a complicated process that Im not sure if you're up for it.
Anybody want to buy an iPhone 3GS, it's in great shape!?
767Driver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

This why I'm very careful about buying anything form eBay. Unlocked phones or any other consumer electronics especially.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:56 AM   #10
767Driver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
This why I'm very careful about buying anything form eBay. Unlocked phones or any other consumer electronics especially.
Well I certainly can't blame eBay or the seller. The phone was as advertised and worked great! It was my own stupidity
/ ignorance that caused this whole situation. Live and learn I guess!
767Driver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well I certainly can't blame eBay or the seller. The phone was as advertised and worked great! It was my own stupidity
Finally a post that the user takes responsibility and doesn't blame iTunes automaticly updated my iPhone or I accidentally installed the new firmware
Very refreshing, and you're right it's not eBays or the previous sellers fault.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You can still get about 200 for a 3GS if it's in good condition
Old Nov 6, 2011, 02:01 PM   #13
767Driver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
You can still get about 200 for a 3GS if it's in good condition
It is in great shape! No scratches on the screen protected screen and VERY minimal almost negligible light scratch or two on the back!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:06 PM   #14
767Driver
macrumors newbie

I'm back in business!! My 11 year old son figured it all out!! I am quite surprised by his level of knowledge etc. I was already to buy the next phone! Kids and technology these days are truly amazing to a non tech guy like myself!! Thanks for the ideas nonetheless gents!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Sambas
macrumors newbie

Help

Quote:
I'm back in business!! My 11 year old son figured it all out!! I am quite surprised by his level of knowledge etc. I was already to buy the next phone! Kids and technology these days are truly amazing to a non tech guy like myself!! Thanks for the ideas nonetheless gents!
Do you remember how your 11 year old genius cracked this one? I am in a similar situation, and I'm stuck, and I thought I was a bit tech. Please help.
Sambas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone