Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
paulobrad
macrumors regular

Format hard drive and clean re-install of Lion problems

I'm currently running OSX Lion on my MacBook Pro, for a number of reasons including it generally just starting to run slow I'd like to format my hard disk and re-install Lion.

From reading a number of guides on the web I should be able to do this by just backing up my precious data, doing Command-R at boot and choosing to re-install Lion, right? However, after choosing this last night and it downloading the install files I've been unsuccessful.

When ever I now try and boot with Command-R it instantly says "There was a problem installing "Mac OS X" Try Reinstalling" but I have no idea where to get to any option to try reinstalling - I only have access to things like disk utility.

I've attached the log below as a jpeg - as I can't copy and paste for obvious reasons. The key error seems to be "Bookmark failed to issue extension for item..."

My basic need is to re-format and re-install Lion. Can anyone help either resolve the above issue or give me another approach? For example, if I used the Snow Leopard install disk to do this could I then just re-download and install Lion on top of that? Would I be charged for it again?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	310980  

Last edited by paulobrad; Nov 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
paulobrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Sc00tr
macrumors regular

No you will not get charged again to download Lion from the app store, just use the same account.

Just make a USB boot stick from the Lion download and use that to install.
http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to...or-flash-drive

If you still have the Lion Install app then you can just use that and not have to redownload. I am assuming u have a bootable OS. I always keep a boot USB drive around. If not you can always instal snow lep and download Lion from teh App store. This would probable take less time than trying to debug the -R option.
Sc00tr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion