Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyHigh42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
ECLIPSE_1.jpg

http://www2.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=ECLIPSE_iPhone4S

What do you guys think of it, does anyone have it?

safarime

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
they never have items in stock

I tried ordering cases from this company twice and twice they did not have what i wanted in stock. So yeah if they cannot keep up with customer demand then I for one will never be able to comment on their product's usefulness. I did however order a case from mar ware and one from spek, both very good cases

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I ordered a black Trim case for my white 4S about 2 weeks ago, it was out of stock.
Got it on Thursday this week. Love it.
The cool thing is all the extra stuff they throw in....and the case was 17.99.
I'm very pleased with SwitchEasy, and will prob order the capsule rebel as a 2nd case in the near future.

moptart

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I love my white switcheasy trim case, it looks great with the black 4s.

The quality is great, so I will try the eclipse in a another color. ilounge gave the eclipse a favorable "first look" .

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I love my white switcheasy trim case, it looks great with the black 4s.

The quality is great, so I will try the eclipse in a another color. ilounge gave the eclipse a favorable "first look" .

How is the trim? I heard it's uncomfortable to grip and discolors.
Does it offer protection? iLounge gave a good review, but I haven't seen too many good reviews.

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Haven't tried the Eclipse but I ordered the SwitchEasy Trim. It turned out being much thinner & less bulky than I thought it would be (from YouTube videos). I love it! I'll order more from SwitchEasy.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I've got the eclipse. I put it on tonight, pretty solid case. Very form fitting, very snug. Comes with two screen protectors, 2 dock connectors, and a stand.

I'll take some pics later. I've got the White/Grey on my white iP4S

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I've got the eclipse. I put it on tonight, pretty solid case. Very form fitting, very snug. Comes with two screen protectors, 2 dock connectors, and a stand.

I'll take some pics later. I've got the White/Grey on my white iP4S

Does it provide decent drop protection?
I'm leaning toward the candyshell, but everybody seems to have that case.

qqvins

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Looking forward to seeing some examples of the camera cutout with flash.
Not sure to get this or the candyshell too, if this camera cutout doesnt affect the flash then I'm gettign this.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I have one and I think it's my favorite iPhone 4 case to date. (And I've had quite a few! - Incase Snapcase, Speck Satin SeeThru, Switcheasy Vulcan, Switcheasy Trim)

It has a great fit, feels great in the hand, provides a nice level of lay on the table design, and both the polymer and polycarbonate provide a nice stylish finish. Because of the polycarbonate's sandblasted finish, scratches and fingerprint smudging (which I really find annoying) aren't an issue at all. Overall this is just a really well designed case, especially at it's price point. Don't get me wrong, though, it isn't perfect. It has two minor issues, but these issues are outweighed by just how nice of a case it is.

The front lip has just a bit more give if you run your finger or thumb across it on the two sides where it is all polymer with no polycarbonate support. It'd be nice if the polymer was just a bit more firmer, especially on the lip below the home button. Putting the 30 pin dock connector cover does help quite a bit with this minor issue though. The second issue is that the headphone jack covers are too small. It's impossible to remove them with your fingers (this is not an understatement). You'll need a knife or paperclip to get them out. Other than those two issues this case is awesome.

FlyHigh42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Either This or Incipio NGP

I'm either going to go with this or the Incipio NGP.
Does anyone know how the surface protector that comes with this is?

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I'm either going to go with this or the Incipio NGP.
Does anyone know how the surface protector that comes with this is?

I'm making this choice too.
NGP vs Otterbox (reflex or commuter) vs Eclipse.

Eclipse looks the nicest to me and it seems like it offers decent drop protection.

reebs

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Larry Greenberg has a review up on YouTube. Looks like a good case!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm making this choice too.
NGP vs Otterbox (reflex or commuter) vs Eclipse.

Eclipse looks the nicest to me and it seems like it offers decent drop protection.

I might be able to chime in on the NGP vs. the Commuter. I've got both and they're both very nice cases.

The Commuter is my favorite case (dating back to my 3GS). Great drop protection, works perfectly with a screen protector, and has the nice built-in port protectors. Also, no flash issues. As it has been beat to death on the forum, they've updated the silicone with a firmer style that can be finicky at first when it comes to getting the plastic shell to sit correctly, but I've found that with use, the silicone becomes more pliable and works perfectly. I actually prefer the updated silicone now (I didn't at first) because the firmness of it keeps the part along the sides (that's not supported by the plastic shell) from being too flimsy. My only real gripe with them now is that the updated silicone no longer has small plugs that actually go into the ports...they're literally just covers that sit on top of them. I'd like to see them bring the plug-style port covers back. It does add a bit of bulk to the phone, but nothing like the Defender, and because of the plastic shell over the silicone design, it slips in and out of a pocket easily.

The NGP is also very nice and deserves all the praise it gets. It's got a great in-the-hand feel. I would liken it to being right in the middle between a silicone case and a TPU case. Firm enough that it doesn't flex much, but soft enough that it's not going to scratch the phone. You also don't have to worry about it catching lint or having flash issues. When I first put it on the phone, the corner near the mute switch wanted to VERY slightly lift the screen protector, but after massaging it just a bit, it stopped doing that and hasn't done it again when the case is removed and put back on the phone. I would surmise that it also offers great drop protection, as the corners are nice and thick, but not so thick that it makes the phone huge. I've got the smoked version, and I love how it's transparent enough that you still see the Apple logo on the back and can see the steel band on the sides and top of the phone. I like to keep my ports covered, so I use a 30-pin and headphone silicone plug to keep them protected. This case works great with them. My only real gripes about it would be the piece that runs between the 30-pin port and the screen, just below the home button. It does feel just a slight bit flimsy and I don't know if this will worsen over time. I haven't seen many reports of it, though, so it may just be me being OCD...lol. And the headphone opening on the case could stand to be just a bit larger. As far as size goes, again, it adds a little bit of bulk to the phone, but not enough to worry about. I also don't have any problems getting it in and out of a pants pocket.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, really.

Last edited:

jdsun1

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
I tried ordering cases from this company twice and twice they did not have what i wanted in stock. So yeah if they cannot keep up with customer demand then I for one will never be able to comment on their product's usefulness. I did however order a case from mar ware and one from spek, both very good cases

SGP is far worse for keeping up with demand because their products are made in Korea. With that being said I have owned a real switcheasy case that I bought from China before and loved it. Very good quality - I suspect these are as well.

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
@KentuckyHouse

Thanks for the really extensive writeup about the cases.
I truly appreciate it.

I think I'll be picking up an NGP from amazon, and a white eclipse case.
It seems to be getting great feedback from youtube "reviewers" as well as iLounge.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
This looks like another interesting option out there. I'm looking for a case which is on the thin side, looks simple and doesn't stand out, slides easily in/out of my pocket (I admit I wear tight-ish pants), provides scratch protection, provides some drop protection. So this begs the question, how is this one with sliding in/out of your pocket? The description says there's no problem with that, but obviously I'm skeptical...

Any input is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.