Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 7, 2011, 08:36 AM   #1
kratoss
macrumors newbie

Arrow $49 Roku box: good for iTunes?

Was ready to pull the trigger on an Apple TV, but then saw that Roku just released a $49 device:

Amazon.com: Roku LT Streaming Player

I know that Roku has an iTunes channel for streaming iTunes content, but it is "unofficial." Has anyone here had experience with it? Is it user-friendly?
kratoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Wickedgardengtp
macrumors member

Remember, you get what you pay for.............
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
craigsharp
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to craigsharp
My experiences from Roku have been less than pleasant... About 3 months ago I decided to drop $80 on the roku XD and at first was thrilled with all the "cool" channels I could put on it. For the most part it worked as advertised... Until a few days later it decided to reboot on me every few minutes and when it was working the menu system became very annoying in the fact that it was not fluid at all... I had bought the device from Best Buy so they had no problem returning it... After that lack luster experience I wasnt sure if a STB like the Roku or ATV was the right choice, then I realized that with all my other apple gear and extensive iTunes library that it was a no brainer for the ATV2... A couple weeks later I had my wife pick up our ATV2 and have been extremely happy with it... especially now that we have our iPhone's everything just works... That's why I drank the Kool-Aid 8 years ago, Apple's stuff just works and works well...
craigsharp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:28 AM   #4
heimbachae
macrumors regular

there's such a thing as a $49 roku? i thought the least costly one was $60?? my fiance's parents want one of them for christmas.... hopefully theirs will work :/ if not it's always another point for the ATV
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:29 PM   #5
dwag3
macrumors newbie

The absolute cheapest model without bluetooth, memory card slot, or 1080p is $50. It's the purple one.
dwag3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater