Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Mindy60
macrumors regular

Question Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

My keyboard doesn't shut off when I press the on/off button and it doesn't say anything about it in the booklet that comes with it. I can still type after pressing the on/off button. But I find that if I hold down the button for a few seconds until the green light turns off, then the virtual keyboard pops up and the keyboard is off and the green light goes away.

Is this as designed? Or should I be concerned it isn't working properly? If this is as designed, I don't understand the benefit of holding down the button. I WOULD understand holding the button down to turn it on, but that is not the case.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

I tend to agree with you, it's an odd design, and it's really poorly documented. But no, there's nothing specifically wrong with yours. Dumb as it seems, holding down the "on" switch as you have IS how you turn it off. It also seems to go into a sleep mode if left untouched long enough--but "long enough" seems to be hours. I just turn mine off when not using it,and switch off Bluetooth on the iPad to save battery life.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Mindy60
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
I tend to agree with you, it's an odd design, and it's really poorly documented. But no, there's nothing specifically wrong with yours. Dumb as it seems, holding down the "on" switch as you have IS how you turn it off. It also seems to go into a sleep mode if left untouched long enough--but "long enough" seems to be hours. I just turn mine off when not using it,and switch off Bluetooth on the iPad to save battery life.
Thanks. Nice tip about turning off bluetooth. Hadn't thought about the need to do that.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

LOL--every time I've ever thought I was developing a battery problem on one of the iThings, I've realized I left BT on again. So I've made it a habit finally to keep it off unless I'm actively using it. Other than screen brightness, it's one of the worst battery hogs I've personally found on my devices.

But I tend to use the keyboard only for certain writing sessions. If you find yourself using it off and on all day, turning BT off might be more of a nuisance than it's worth. I'm also jailbroken, with a tweak that makes accessing that function very quick and easy. If I had to go through three layers of menus to turn it off or on, I probably wouldn't be as likely to be so rigid about it.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
LOL--every time I've ever thought I was developing a battery problem on one of the iThings, I've realized I left BT on again. So I've made it a habit finally to keep it off unless I'm actively using it. Other than screen brightness, it's one of the worst battery hogs I've personally found on my devices.

But I tend to use the keyboard only for certain writing sessions. If you find yourself using it off and on all day, turning BT off might be more of a nuisance than it's worth. I'm also jailbroken, with a tweak that makes accessing that function very quick and easy. If I had to go through three layers of menus to turn it off or on, I probably wouldn't be as likely to be so rigid about it.
Gotta love SBSettings!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories