Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_antenna.jpg

Influential ratings and reviews magazine Consumer Reports, which famously refused to recommend both the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 models due to antenna issues, has now determined to its satisfaction that the iPhone 4S does not suffer from the same issue. The determination means that Consumer Reports is now willing to list the iPhone 4S as a "recommended" device.
Apple's newest smart phone performed very well in our tests, and while it closely resembles the iPhone 4 in appearance, it doesn't suffer the reception problem we found in its predecessor in special tests in our labs.

In special reception tests of the iPhone 4S that duplicated those we did on the iPhone 4, the newer phone did not display the same reception flaw, which involves a loss of signal strength when you touch a spot on the phone's lower left side while you're in an area with a weak signal.
Early reports from users had indeed suggested that the iPhone 4S did not possess the antenna issue that some users had complained about in the iPhone 4, but Consumer Reports clearly undertook its own testing of the device for its assessment. Consumer Reports also indicates that the 8 GB iPhone 4, introduced alongside the iPhone 4S as a lower-cost device, does continue to suffer from the antenna problem.

While Consumer Reports is now able to recommend the iPhone 4S, it does not list the device at the top of its smartphone rankings, placing it below several Android phones with larger displays and support for faster cellular networks. That was not the case last year, when the magazine ranked the iPhone 4 first among smartphones despite the antenna problem that led it to withhold a "recommended" rating.

Article Link: 'Consumer Reports' Satisfied that iPhone 4S Fixes Antenna Issues

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Consumer report has an issue with the antenna, Apple finally fixes it, Consumer report doesn't have an issue anymore.

In other news, the sky is blue.

JudgeKenny

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
CR can go **** themselves. CLEARLY, quite a few million people didn't need their recommendation.

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Boost!

I'm sure this will be a real boost to the sales of the 4s in the same way their last report was a real drag on sales of the 4! Is CP really that "Influential" any more?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
so people were pissed at CR when they couldn't recommend the iPhone 4 because of antenna issues and now people are pissed because they can?

If CR really doesn't matter (I'm not suggesting it does or doesn't) this really should be a very short thread. Somehow I doubt it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
so people were pissed at CR when they couldn't recommend the iPhone 4 because of antenna issues and now people are pissed because they can?

If CR really doesn't matter (I'm not suggesting it does or doesn't) this really should be a very short thread. Somehow I doubt it.

You have to consider what you're dealing with here.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
CR can go **** themselves. CLEARLY, quite a few million people didn't need their recommendation.
For a lot of people the iPhone's least used function is the phone.

People knew about the antenna issue before CR said anything about it, it did not matter, it was still a brand new iPhone.
I'm sure this will be a real boost to the sales of the 4s in the same way their last report was a real drag on sales of the 4! Is CP really that "Influential" any more?
CP is still influential for buyers who research before they buy, but many people do not research in any form (watching Apple's Key Note before ordering one of their new products is not research)

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
”I always go to Consumer Reports first for all my new tech buying decisions.”

— My Grandpa

Renzatic

Suspended
What antenna issues?

It exists. I'd drop calls even in a full 5 bar area before I got my Otterbox. Since getting it, I haven't lost a single phonecall.

The only thing worse than those mouthbreathing weirdos who go around screaming "OLOL iPhone sux cuz it got bad antenna" are those mouthbreathing weirdos who scream "All Apple products are 100% perfect. Only deluded fools believe otherwise".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think it's more "Apple figured out how to make it work".

I find it ridiculous that you're being downvoted - and even more so that people still think that there was nothing wrong with the antenna when Jobs himself said there was. All phones have issues with reception - but that doesn't mean the iPhone didn't OR that it didn't suffer more.

Amazing how some (seemingly) intelligent people can't read between the lines or understand PR spin/when they are being manipulated. Truly.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Consumer Reports do have labs. They do employ engineers and other qualified people to set up tests and review products. They have a long history of being non-biased in their reviews.

But with that said, and maybe I'm just taking it personally (I am a huge iPhone fan) but they really seem to have a hard-on when it comes to knocking the iPhone.

Last year, it's the highest rated phone but they can't recommend it because of the antenna. Then how can it be the highest-rated phone? I know they gave some convuluted answer to that but c'mon.

And now this year, that problem is resolved but they place it behind a phone with a crappy 3D-no glasses display? And other phones seemingly because they have 4" screens and the iPhone doesn't?

Not sure what's going on at CR.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I find it ridiculous that you're being downvoted - and even more so that people still think that there was nothing wrong with the antenna when Jobs himself said there was. All phones have issues with reception - but that doesn't mean the iPhone didn't OR that it didn't suffer more.

Amazing how some (seemingly) intelligent people can't read between the lines or understand PR spin/when they are being manipulated. Truly.

But it's Apple. Whatever they do is ok. People are satisfied. Even if they really aren't. Mind over matter.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Amazing how some (seemingly) intelligent people think they can read minds about why people downvote. How they can't understand that there can be more subtlety to a position than "Antenna bad." And how they seem surprised that there are actually irrational posters in this forum.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007

Given the incredible sales volume of both the 4 and 4S, I'd say CR really doesn't matter.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Thank goodness that Consumer Reports is now satisfied with the iPhone 4s. Maybe now the iPhone will become popular and start selling.

/snicker

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
”I always go to Consumer Reports first for all my new tech buying decisions.”

— My Grandpa

As opposed to say, CNET, to watch little Tiffany or Brittany fumble through a product review?

----------

Cant say calls are any better on my 4S than my 4. The only change that's affecting me daily is the battery life...please fix Apple:(

Fixed with the beta. You'll get it shortly....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.