Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Introduces Worldwide VoIP Calling App

AT&T has launched a new app to allow its customers to make inexpensive international calls over Wi-Fi. With the AT&T Call International app, customers can get the "lowest international calling rates" that AT&T offers.

Calls to the UK, for example, cost $0.04/minute for calls to wireline numbers and $0.27/minute for calls to mobile phones. Calls to China are $0.04/minute. The price list for all countries is available here.

Pricing is competitive with other VoIP calling apps like Vonage -- though having a major name like AT&T stand behind the app may make some users more comfortable than making calls with a lesser known name.

Within the United States, calls are placed like a normal cellular call -- no Wi-Fi required, and a nice feature compared to making calls on other VoIP apps -- but outside the U.S. all calls are placed only via Wi-Fi.

The AT&T Call International app is free to download -- call charges are applied to a credit card, not the user's AT&T phone bill, with no monthly fee or minimum charges.

Article Link: AT&T Introduces Worldwide VoIP Calling App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:17 PM   #2
coder12
macrumors 6502a

This best for those who have the unlimited data plan.
Waaaaaiiit a second.

In all seriousness, Google Voice has already been doing this for me for a long time.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
cajun67
macrumors member

Why would I want to pay for data usage a second time? VOIP calls should be free.

And while we're on the subject, Apple should break out the VOIP portion of FaceTime so that Mac and iOS users can make free VOIP calls to each other.

AND Apple needs to allow us to make FaceTime calls over the cellular data network. AT&T has done away with their unlimited data plan, so there's no reason to hold back now.
cajun67 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
benji888
macrumors 65816

ONE question: don't some countries block voip calls??

specifically, what about Airtel-India?
benji888 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
ericrwalker
Banned

Seems like a decent deal, but AT&T is already limiting most of us to 2GB of data. I will stick with google voice to make international calls (which calls a local number).
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Will do good
macrumors 6502

Why use ATT? They are so late to the party.
Will do good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:38 PM   #7
benji888
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will do good View Post
it may actually work whereas Skype either doesn't work at all or hit or miss at best.
benji888 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Take a look at the icon for the app...

I like how there are TWO separate gloss effects applied, one on top of the other, and not the same shape on the bottom arc.

I wonder how much AT&T pays their team of app developers/visual designers...? Idiots!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Icaras
macrumors 601

delete
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
lsbuffs
macrumors member

May just be me, but keep getting 'invalid credit card number' when trying to create account on this app.

Edit: I was able to complete set up using another VISA. Not sure why it wouldn't take the first one.

Last edited by lsbuffs; Nov 8, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: got it to work
lsbuffs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:44 PM   #11
gpat
macrumors 6502a

AT&T acts evil = complain
AT&T does something good for once = complain

Come on.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:45 PM   #12
HoopTrundler
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
Why would I want to pay for data usage a second time? VOIP calls should be free.

And while we're on the subject, Apple should break out the VOIP portion of FaceTime so that Mac and iOS users can make free VOIP calls to each other.

AND Apple needs to allow us to make FaceTime calls over the cellular data network. AT&T has done away with their unlimited data plan, so there's no reason to hold back now.
I think Apple is holding off on allowing FaceTime over 3G because it would be laggy.
HoopTrundler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:46 PM   #13
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow AT&T...Really? Who's actually going to use this?!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:47 PM   #14
ladeer
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12
This best for those who have the unlimited data plan.
Waaaaaiiit a second.

In all seriousness, Google Voice has already been doing this for me for a long time.
Please read the article. You are NOT using data when you are in US, but using your airtime (dial to a number like SkyPe Mobile service).
This is HUGE!! It means I can call international numbers at much lower rate without worrying about having wifi. I am very surprised AT&T would do this!
ladeer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:48 PM   #15
ladeer
macrumors 6502

You don't use data
ladeer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:50 PM   #16
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

^^ You're not using data whether in the US or not. It works over WiFi outside the US (and over voice cell in the US).

Does the fact that it costs three times as much to call a mobile in the UK as it does a mobile in India and almost seven times as much as a mobile in China have something to do with tariffs?

I don't make international calls, but it looks like AT&T has a nice offering. Now if they really liked me they'd just give me an option to route all the calls I make from my phone to VOIP and pay the lower rate without needing the app (and work with Apple to integrate the WiFi calling so that the phone just made WiFi calls when appropriate, again without needing an app), but still, this is a nice step.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
^^ You're not using data whether in the US or not. It works over WiFi outside the US (and over voice cell in the US).

Does the fact that it costs three times as much to call a mobile in the UK as it does a mobile in India and almost seven times as much as a mobile in China have something to do with tariffs?

I don't make international calls, but it looks like AT&T has a nice offering. Now if they really liked me they'd just give me an option to route all the calls I make from my phone to VOIP and pay the lower rate without needing the app (and work with Apple to integrate the WiFi calling so that the phone just made WiFi calls when appropriate, again without needing an app), but still, this is a nice step.
Phone is an Apple app, but your point is well taken. I think the incentive to get a significant portion of voice plan charges, overrides Apple's interest in simplicity and seamlessness and frictionless, in this case.

Rocketman
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:58 PM   #18
benji888
macrumors 65816

Quote:
and, as has already been pointed out...if you READ how this app works, calls from the US are made using your wireless minutes NOT wifi. This is a big advantage!

And I just got done chatting w/AT&T, Airtel does not block voip calls (I had so much trouble before w/skype and such), and also, your phone number will show on receiver's phone...I think the fact that Skype (and other tries) had no phone number attached to them, and this was the big problem for me.
benji888 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:59 PM   #19
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Phone is an Apple app, but your point is well taken. I think the incentive to get a significant portion of voice plan charges, overrides Apple's interest in simplicity and seamlessness and frictionless, in this case.
Actually, if I understand it right, for making the call inside the US, this really doesn't need a phone-side app or a modification to the Phone.app at all -- AT&T could do that entirely from their end. They just put the call through on VOIP and charge you accordingly whenever possible.

For the WiFi part of the service... If I'm excused for sounding like an anti-Apple fanboy (I've never owned an Android), I think that there are some phones outside the iPhone that have VOIP integrated into their phone calling system already? Yes, absolutely, it's something Apple would have to design. You could imagine that they could create the system inside the Phone app and then allow the service providers to use it if they want (and usually this is the part where I snark that it will be available in every major market except the US). Then, you could download Google Voice or Skype or what have you if you want, and/or you could flip a switch to let your phone use VOIP as necessary.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:06 PM   #20
hassiman
macrumors member

Question Am I incorrect in thinking that FaceTime allows international video calls for free?

Am I incorrect in thinking that FaceTime allows international video calls for free? FaceTime would be VOiP or VO&ViP calls.
hassiman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:13 PM   #21
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
AT&T offers me cheaper rates to call Honduras than Skype does (AT&T $0.15/min vs Skype $0.38/min)

That's a 50% savings... even after taxes factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post

Me... bye Skype
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:21 PM   #22
ericrwalker
Banned

Great rate, even google voice is $0.19/min. They have good call quality too. Let us know how the quality is on this new app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
AT&T offers me cheaper rates to call Honduras than Skype does (AT&T $0.15/min vs Skype $0.38/min)
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:22 PM   #23
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

only wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
I think this app only works over WIFI, so one wouldn't really use much of their cellular data plan with it.

Cheaper and easier to just setup skype, but they will get some customers for this.

IF they would move to billing to your phone number directly, these rates, using this app THAT would go a long way to pushing adoption.
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:26 PM   #24
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post

People who want to call abroad through wifi?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
I think this app only works over WIFI, so one wouldn't really use much of their cellular data plan with it.
It's only wifi if your calling to outside the US. National calling can be through 3G.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Surreal
macrumors 6502a

In all seriousness AT&T, just allow unlocking of the iPhone.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion