Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unrlmth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on my MacBook Pro 3,1 with a Crucial M225 256GB SSD. I already have a bootcamp partition on the SSD and everything is set up. However when I try and start up the computer with the SSD installed, it will hang at the grey screen. If I take out the SSD the windows installer will start fine, but since the disk isn't connected I obviously can't install it. The SSD has the latest firmware as of ~3 months ago.

The DVD boots fine in my friends 8,1 MPB.

Any ideas on how to get it to boot with the drive installed?

Thanks.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on my MacBook Pro 3,1 with a Crucial M225 256GB SSD. I already have a bootcamp partition on the SSD and everything is set up. However when I try and start up the computer with the SSD installed, it will hang at the grey screen. If I take out the SSD the windows installer will start fine, but since the disk isn't connected I obviously can't install it. The SSD has the latest firmware as of ~3 months ago.

The DVD boots fine in my friends 8,1 MPB.

Maybe misunderstanding here.....you have created an empty Bootcamp partition with BC Assistant, but the Windows Installer won't boot to install it?

Where are you putting the SSD?

If you are putting it in an Optibay or similar and using an external DVD drive, that will be the problem. Windows install disks (and other bootable Windows disks like Paragon Recovery disks) won't boot from external DVD drives on Macs. I have tried this on two different models of MBP and failed. There are threads on ASC about it.

If you are not using an Optibay, not sure what the problem is...I have installed 32bit Win7 on a 3,1 without problem. Not heard that SSD makes a difference.

unrlmth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
SSD is in the main drive bay and the cd drive is in the stock location. I,ve installed windows on my similar era iMac a few times and never had any of these issues. I also posted on hardforum and there was someone else who had a similar issue with a c300 SSD.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
SSD is in the main drive bay and the cd drive is in the stock location. I,ve installed windows on my similar era iMac a few times and never had any of these issues. I also posted on hardforum and there was someone else who had a similar issue with a c300 SSD.

Well a wild suggestion....based on how I have just changed the HDDs in my MBP and Mac Pro to SSDs. I have a Win 7 BC partition. May cost you a bit:

Put an HDD (not SSD) in the main bay, with your OSX on it (use CCC Superduper etc if necessary).
Create Bootcamp partition, install Windows 7.
Install Paragon Hard Drive Manager Suite 2011 in Windows 7
Make a Paragon Recovery CD from within Windows.
Run CHKDSK in Windows to make sure file system is clean...essential.
Put the SSD in an external USB enclosure, formatted GUID and HFS+.
Boot from Paragon Recovery disk.
Use the Copy/Migration tool to "clone" the WHOLE drive (Mac and Windows) to the SSD. Ignore times to complete shown. My 500 Gb migration took about four hours.
Take SSD out of enclosure and put in MBP.

As I said I have just done this successfully on both my MBP and Mac Pro, switching both machines to SSD. Windows was already activated on the new SSD on both machines.

The HDD and SSD do not need to be the same size. The copy/migration process will scale the Mac and Windows partition sizes proportionately, up or down if the size is different. (there is an option to change the proportion but I didn't use).

Costs some money but you have a good way of backing up your whole HD for the future.

BTW my MBP SSD is a Crucial M4 512Gb

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.