Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I'm looking for a note taking app that is clean and simple. The best description would be that it should be as close to a notebook as possible. I've been using the notebook view in Word 2008 for taking notes in class but it's too buggy and restricted, probably because it's more like a skin for word than a standalone app. What I need is an app that lets me write but also draw if I need to and that lets me organize my notes in different chapters or sections and then into different notebooks.

The reason why I want an app instead of a real notebook is because I take a lot of notes and don't want to carry them all. Also, my handwriting is not that legible so sharing a pdf of my computer written notes makes a lot more sense.

I've searched a lot but couldn't find exactly what I want. Can you help? Thanks!

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Evernote

Online syncing between devices and it's free! Can arrange things in notebooks within groups. Audio & video notes. Very good software really!

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Evernote

Online syncing between devices and it's free! Can arrange things in notebooks within groups. Audio & video notes. Very good software really!

yeah i guess evernote too.
i used it once, but i just couldn't get used to it, so i used the notebook for Office 2011 which i find is much better.
[it has sections, audio, and can let u draw stuff too]

alternatively, you can use bootcamp to install windows then buy office 2010 or something and get OneNote on your computer
And to be honest, OneNote is like the best note taking software i have seen.

^obviously those are not free and the steps are extensive, so from that EverNote is a beast!

There is also an app called PearNote but as i recall, it isn't free :(

So my conclusion after all that, is what i said in the beginning: EVERNOTE!

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for the tips! I have tried evernote but I don't really like the interface. I would like something that looked a lot simpler so I can concentrate on my notes. I don't see much difference between evernote and just a normal word processor.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
i'm more of a sketcher so noteshelf and bamboo paper are my go-to apps for note taking.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Circus Ponies Notebook was mentioned as a more expensive but robust note-taking alternative.

The Productive Macs bundle has this app included for $40 along with a slew of other amazing productivity related software: Fantastical, BusyCal, LaunchBar, Default Folder X and a few more.

Those of you interested in this type of software should definitely check it out as it's one of the best bundles going.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.