Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 17, 2005, 03:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

New game development environment coming to the Mac

Category: Games
Link: New game development environment coming to the Mac

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2
poundsmack
macrumors 6502

this is sooo cool! I think there sound be an oficial Mac Rumors game. as in the members of macrumors.com team up and we create a really cool game. make it a big community project. what do u think?
poundsmack is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a

i get the feeling it would involve hacking through row of thread trolls to get to a Powerbook G5
x86isslow is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundsmack
this is sooo cool! I think there sound be an oficial Mac Rumors game.
I think an unofficial one would be more likely. And it would have an odd variety of art styles as each member tries to draw a picture of themselves
Nermal is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 05:49 PM   #5
poundsmack
macrumors 6502

well what if we organized a dev team and decided on a story line and a specific art style and what not? would there be any interest in it?
Old May 17, 2005, 05:52 PM   #6
aristotle1990
macrumors newbie

right...

this is so stupid. all of these "uber-easy" game development suites are never easy. even the ones that don't require programming aren't easy. to put together a game rivaling halo requires dedication and intelligence.
aristotle1990 is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 05:57 PM   #7
montex
macrumors regular

WTF? With the new xBox 360 and PS3, why would anyone want to buy games for their mac? Consoles are about to get serious, so why not save your pennies for a PS3, hook it up to your big tv screen and get yer game on that way? Using a PC or Mac for gameing is looking more and more like a wasted effort.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:05 PM   #8
poundsmack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle1990
this is so stupid. all of these "uber-easy" game development suites are never easy. even the ones that don't require programming aren't easy. to put together a game rivaling halo requires dedication and intelligence.
by no means would any game made with this compare to Halo. its not that type of development environment/engine. its more of a metal slug type.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:06 PM   #9
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Anything that doesn't require programming is unlikely to produce any games that are particularly interesting, beyond being a showcase for graphic and sound artists (which are the boring bits anyway).

It doesn't seem clear that this development programme is actually particularly extensible i.e. while no programming is required, is it actually possible to do some and how much? The ability to actually get involved with the nuts and bolts of game implementation would make it a much more worthwhile venture and potentially offer much greater scope for making some worthwhile games.

That said it might help nurture young (and not so young!) developers to work on the Mac platform, providing them with some rewarding experience to spur them on to bigger and better things.
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by montex
WTF? With the new xBox 360 and PS3, why would anyone want to buy games for their mac? Consoles are about to get serious, so why not save your pennies for a PS3, hook it up to your big tv screen and get yer game on that way? Using a PC or Mac for gameing is looking more and more like a wasted effort.
Yeah yeah, the next gen consoles are impressive right now, but then they'll stagnate for the next five years while computers surpass them, again. The never-ending cycle. Besides, there are way too many game types that never get made for consoles. Lots of us don't want to just play console games forever!

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old May 17, 2005, 08:35 PM   #11
Rocket Rion
macrumors regular

Civilization, Command and Conquer, and Unreal are all examples of games that work way better on a PC. The mouse is just better for these games.
Rocket Rion is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 07:16 AM   #12
mac15
macrumors 68040

Great, watch the crappy scrollers roll in
mac15 is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Not everyone likes consoles...
Old May 18, 2005, 01:45 PM   #14
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostThere
Anything that doesn't require programming is unlikely to produce any games that are particularly interesting, beyond being a showcase for graphic and sound artists (which are the boring bits anyway).
I don't know, I've seen some very impressive 3D games done in Flash!

The biggest problem with many games development tools is that the technology is evolving so fast, by the time the tool is developed and released, and the subsequent games are developed and released, they're already out of date. Even if the tool developers keep updating, there still will be a 'lag' behind current technology.

That's probably a large part of the reason this tool is for sprite games, as the technology isn't really changing, not to mention it's a lot less work both for the tool and game developers!
Old May 18, 2005, 04:43 PM   #15
montex
macrumors regular

Consoles are better because:

1. Bigger screens. Which is better, a 17" computer screen or 42" TV?
2. Playing friends and family in the same room is much more fun than with strangers online.
3. Game pads are sturdier than mice and can take a real pounding. Some have vibration feedback.
4. Your kids can play with the console. I'd never let a kid (or anyone else) touch my Mac!
5. You can rent video games. On you Mac or PC you have to buy them.

But I know that some of you dudes like to be sequestered away from the rest of the world so you can beep beep boop all by yourselves. Kinda sad, really, and not helping to dispell the nerd myth. To each his own.
montex is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 04:52 PM   #16
montex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
Yeah yeah, the next gen consoles are impressive right now, but then they'll stagnate for the next five years while computers surpass them, again. The never-ending cycle. Besides, there are way too many game types that never get made for consoles. Lots of us don't want to just play console games forever!

--Eric
Who keeps a conlsole for 5 years? Three years, maybe four tops. If you keep a game console for more than 5 years you are not being a good American Consumer and will be reported the Visa/Mastercard police!
montex is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 08:32 PM   #17
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Consoles are better because:

1. Bigger screens. Which is better, a 17" computer screen or 42" TV?
2. Playing friends and family in the same room is much more fun than with strangers online.
3. Game pads are sturdier than mice and can take a real pounding. Some have vibration feedback.
4. Your kids can play with the console. I'd never let a kid (or anyone else) touch my Mac!
5. You can rent video games. On you Mac or PC you have to buy them.

But I know that some of you dudes like to be sequestered away from the rest of the world so you can beep beep boop all by yourselves. Kinda sad, really, and not helping to dispell the nerd myth. To each his own.
Boy, you're really not helping to dispell the "console gamers are shallow and rather dim" myth.

1. You're probably sitting closer to your computer monitor (which is probably larger than 17", that's low-end these days), so it fills up just as much of your field of view, and it's much higher quality, with much higher resolution. I'll take the monitor any day. Maybe when HDTV is commonplace it'll be different.

2. Funny, I never have problems playing computer games with friends in the same room. Plus you can do the "strangers online" thing with consoles if you want...actually that's one of the big things with consoles these days. Seems even console people would rather play online...maybe their friends and family are too boring? Who knows....

3. Game pads are sturdier? OK, so get a game pad for your computer. Some of them even have the vibration feedback you find so amazing. (I even have one myself, wow!)

4. I wouldn't let anyone else touch my keyboard or mouse (or the Mac itself), but that doesn't stop me from playing Mac games with other people. There's an amazing interface called "USB" these days...you can plug all sorts of controllers and joysticks and stuff into it...amazing!

5. Yeah, you pretty much have to rent console games because 90% of them are only good for a few days at most. Fortunately computer games often have more depth, so you would rather buy them.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 09:02 PM   #18
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Who keeps a conlsole for 5 years? Three years, maybe four tops. If you keep a game console for more than 5 years you are not being a good American Consumer and will be reported the Visa/Mastercard police!
Um, anyone who buys a console? It's not like you have a choice. NES: 1986, SNES: 1991, N64: 1996, GameCube: 2001, Revolution: 2006. Or maybe, Playstation1: 1995, Playstation2: 2000, Playstation3: 2006. If you buy a console when it's released, you are stuck with that tech for FIVE YEARS. As I said. In the meantime, computers keep evolving. Surely this is not hard to understand.... By now, current generation consoles are lagging behind computers quite a bit. For example, Doom3 had to be cut down in order to run on the Xbox; it's not the same as the PC/Mac version and you can tell. By 2010, computer games will be making Xbox360/PS3/Revolution games look dated. Around 2011ish, new consoles will be released that beat computers at gaming, etc. etc. (Assuming the trend continues of course, but it's been pretty consistent for the last couple of decades....)

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 09:14 PM   #19
snkTab
macrumors 6502a

How about a game of guess the avatar that would be implemented just like music quiz on the iPod.

Last edited by snkTab; May 18, 2005 at 11:43 PM.
snkTab is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 03:40 AM   #20
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Slightly OT, but I thought Flash games were programmed using ActionScript and such like?

From what I have read about this system, it doesn't seem to allow this sort of flexibility, it is all about ticking boxes to enable certain behaviour rather than allowing someone to add their own features (this is a $50 programme after all, not however many hundreds Flash goes for nowadays).
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 12:11 PM   #21
neonart
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac15
Great, watch the crappy scrollers roll in
I understand what you mean. There will probably be a huge amount of crappy games from this, but also a small amount of great ones.

This was the same back in the day when most games where side scrollers. If you take the hundreds of games from the 80's and 90's there was ALOT of crap, but there also was Super Mario Bros., Shinobi, R-Type, Castlevania, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, Rastan, WonderBoy, Prince of Persia, and so many other GREAT side scrollers.

If this new tool gives at least a few creative, fun games, I'm all for it.

Let the games begin!
Old May 19, 2005, 12:15 PM   #22
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Even with an Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, I still end up playing a lot of MacMAME games, because they're just fun and easy to pick up and play.

I'd love it if this resulted in lots of quirky games, like Dark Castle, or Foobar vs the DEA!
Old May 19, 2005, 03:20 PM   #23
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonart
I understand what you mean. There will probably be a huge amount of crappy games from this, but also a small amount of great ones.
I'm having flashbacks to Shoot-em-up Construction Kit...I don't think any worthwhile games came out of that. However, that doesn't mean SEUCK was worthless; on the contrary, fiddling around with a game creator trying to get something playable can be fun by itself, and then you realize that making a decent game isn't easy even if you have a "mega-easy no-programming" dev environment, so maybe you start appreciating good games more....

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion