Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I just picked up a dual 533 MHz PowerMac G4, I have always wanted one since they came out. I picked up this MINT computer for 25 dollars. Amazing since this cost 3k just 10 years ago. Any who, it has 256MB ram, and soon to be 1GB. It has Tiger now, but can I upgrade to Leopard with out any issues? I have read mixed reviews and I just want to hear it from people instead of just reading it.

On another note, some of the thoughts for this Computer are just amazing. Like powering off and on the computer from the monitor. The great looking monitor with a cord hole in the back stand. Easy opening case with handles for greater ease of moving. Two USB ports on the keyboard so your mouse can be on the left or right. Plus 2 USBs on the back of the monitor. Of course I have had faster macs, hell my iPhone 4s out specs this thing. But this is a very well designed computer, and I would have hated to be any other computer manufacturer when this hit the public.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You need 867mhz or better for Leopard. There's a hack to overcome this limitation, but imho it's not worth it. Stick with Tiger - it'll be a lot more responsive on that machine.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
If you've got a Mac that supports Leopard, you can connect it to your old Mac in Firewire Target Mode and use it to install Leopard straight to the hard disk of the old Mac.

That's how I got Leopard on a single 466MHz G4 from the same year as yours. I'd say if it's going to be your primary computer, Leopard is well worth it on any dual G4.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
How does leopard run on a G4 under 800 MHz?
On my 466MHz Power Mac, the interface is noticeably slower than Tiger, and Geekbench tells me that there's 25% less processing power available.

On my 1GHz eMac, it works fine, though it also has a better graphics card than the Power Mac as well. Your dual 533MHz should be closer to the eMac in terms of performance, Low End Mac has some decent articles about this type of thing, I think they said that their dual 533 seemed to perform better than a single 867 MHz (or was it 800MHz?)

Kind of depends what you want to use it for though, I put Leopard on my old one because it was my only computer for a bit and I much prefer Leopard and its' software to Tiger and it's older versions/look.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
It is basically going to be a web browsing computer. But when I go to sell it, I personally see it more appealing with the sexier Leopard installed.

Anyone have any luck transplanting a faster processor from another PowerMac G4 into a older model?

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I added some PC133 168PIN Ram today, 2 512MB sticks. The computer will not recognize the ram. I reset the PRAM. Any ideas?

Here is the RAM.

963d72fd.jpg

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
With no name RAM - it's like win on lottery ;)

If you'll buy well known brand memory, 99% works. Kingston, Hynix, Crucial/Micron, Patriot, Samsung, Geil, Corsair - I've tested personally dozens of them, and these that didn't want to work were dead.

Last edited:

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I switched the RAM around in many configurations. I even Installed the two new sticks on the outside and my old 128MB stick in the middle. The computer boots fine, but it only recognized the 128.

hansolo669

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
I switched the RAM around in many configurations. I even Installed the two new sticks on the outside and my old 128MB stick in the middle. The computer boots fine, but it only recognized the 128.

im betting on your ram being dead... either that or all PPC machines have a clock that tells them to not recongnize new hardware in 2011 :p (kidding!)
in any event rams pretty cheep, why not get a gig or so? also check out low end mac for some usefull tips(no affliation i just think it can be a good resource)

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
The person I bought the ram from is trryyyiinnggg to tell me that my machine will not accept 512. He is trying to get out of giving me my money back for dead ram. I am sure he will douche out of it and I will get stuck with bad ram and out 15 bucks. Learned my lesson from buying used ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.