Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeform

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Hi,

I have huge problems sending PDF-files to a Windows-based mail receiving system for a Cable TV/broadband-company I sell for.

Is it possible to configure Apple Mail to attach the files as real attachements, and not just inline files in the program?

I have tried switching to Outlook for Mac, but Acrobat Reader won´t let me attach PDF-files directly from the program.

Get the error here: "An error occurred while trying to create a mail document. Acrobat is unable to complete your request."

I understand this is a common error with Acrobat on Mac to Outlook, so I am trying to switch back to Apple mail.

Any way to get this fixed properly ??

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Why do you use Acrobat reader? Macs have a built in PDF reader (well everything reader) with Preview.app. If Acrobat Reader is the culprit (which it sounds like) try uninstalling that as well.

When you say "inline" do you mean the attached PDF shows up as Open?

If you just mean the PDF file is inline with the text, that is just how mail displays it...I don't think it's actually in the body. At lease when I send my self emails it never shows up in the body on Outlook when I receive it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Is it possible to configure Apple Mail to attach the files as real attachements, and not just inline files in the program?

There is no such thing as an inline file. All attachments are "real attachments." The reason that some files are displayed inline is that the email client recognizes the attachment as a MIME-type that it can display. This is controlled by the individual email client and not by the sender.

Having said that, there are various schemes to encode attachments. Within Mail, select the Edit/Attachments>Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments menu selection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.