Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hello there

I have a very awkward situation here.

Previously, I used to run 2 HDDs for data in slots 3&4, 1 HDD for windows in slot 2 and one OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB SSD in slot 1 for MacOS

Now I decided to pop in 4HDDs for data as a RAID1+0, and wanted to use the SSD in the optical bay slot. But it won't recognize it at all. No chance. However, if I plug in an HDD, it works just fine, high performance, etc. Why does the SSD not work?

Others do it and it works. :(

MacPro4,1 (2009) Quad-Core W3520 XEON 2.66GHz, 12GB RAM, 2x HD5770 graphics

ORTOX

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Are you just using Mac OS X? Or are you trying to run Windows with a Bootcamp install?

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Nope. the SSD has lion installed, but is neither recognized by EFI, by Mac (booted from another HDD with snow leo) nor by windows.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Are you saying that your SSD doesn't work anywhere with Lion on it? Or is it working normally (boots up) if you slide it in a regular HD bay?

Loa

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Or is it working normally (boots up) if you slide it in a regular HD bay?

It works flawlessly. Worked that way for months xD

But that's in the HDD slide in bay...

But it just wont work in the optical bay. ssd doesnt work, hdd does work in the optical bay - thats the weird thing

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I have the same exact mac and I'm running a SSD in there no issues. Have you tried the other optical bay sata port? If it work, you could drop your optical drive down to the second "slot".

Also, form the point of view of your Mac, it doesn't matter if one of your RAID drives is in the optical bay and the others in the sleds. It's less neat from a human point of view, but it should work nonetheless.

Another thing: while Lion and RAIDs are on speaking terms right now (10.7.2), they're definitely not the best of friends. Disk Utility doesn't seem to know what a RAID really is, actually.

Loa

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I have the same exact mac and I'm running a SSD in there no issues. Have you tried the other optical bay sata port? If it work, you could drop your optical drive down to the second "slot".

Thanks for the feedback.
I have tried both optical ports, none of them work. I decided to sell the vertex2 ssd and get a corsair Force F115 ssd.... If that won't work, i'll return it, but it should :D

I set up the raid with a snow leo mac os... haven't really checked it out in lion yet^^

But works out great. 275MB both write and read sustained with 4x 7200RPM 3TB 64MB hitachi drives...

One thing I haven't tried: removing one graphics card and trying it. But I didn't feel like it :/

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Got my new Corsair F115 drive today ... and lucky me.. this one works in the optical bay slots!! =D

Vertex2 seems to have an issue, I don't know how, where and why, but this is an interesting matter of "incompatibility" xD

Cheers
Florian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.