Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:16 AM   #1
khuk
macrumors newbie

Skip to next track via headset

I have a 4S and recently purchased a set of Sennheiser i300 earphones and found that the skip to next track button is somewhat erratic. It seems to start okay but after a few skipped tracks it becomes very hit and miss in registering the double click. I was planning to take them back for exchange but just realised that the standard Apple earbuds also have a switch which do the same skip to next track function. After trying those out, I found that they too start well but after a few clicks they are just as erratic as the Sennheiser. My question is, do people think the fault is with my iPhone or is this type of function unreliable in general? I have never used this function on any other device so I am not sure how reliable you are meant to be able to skip tracks. With both headphones I can skip up to 5 tracks before the skip function becomes unreliable.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
khuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:24 AM   #2
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

I use the standard earbuds and never had problems with my device, I have an iPhone 4.

Why don't you ask an Apple employee at an Apple Store?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Ksizzle9
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think timing it right is more or less the issue here. I have several pairs of headphones ranging from bout $10-$200 and they have all done this, even with my ip4, it must b a qwik double click, but not too fast. You will get the hang. Wouldn't return anything yet
Ksizzle9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:13 PM   #4
khuk
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. I understand what you mean by the timing of the click, this where I think that it may be do with the 4S phone or iOS. When I first start skipping tracks using the double click I can do it consistently. However after the first few have been done the reliability of the double click seems to diminish to 50% and if i persist at trying slow click, medium clicking or fast clicking I will eventually get to 90% + not being recognised. If I pull the earphones out the pattern will repeat by starting off fine to become more and more unreliable to the point that it hardly works at all. During all of this the single click to pause or play works fine.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
khuk
macrumors newbie

Hmmm, very bizarre! I have been fiddling with every setting I could find to do with music so I have no idea what I have may have influenced but I just tried to replicate the problem and managed to skip 50 tracks with out a problem. Before I could only manage 5 before it would go wrong. Now I can't make it go wrong!

Thanks for you comments anyway, I guess I'll just have to hope it was one of those things and not some intermittent fault that will return.

A 4S with Sennheiser i300 earphones is a wonderful sound as well as a mic for anyone who is looking for something better than Apple earbuds.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone