Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I want to rip my DVD collection to a hard drive and share it over my entire network to watch movies on my MacBooks, Google TV, and Apple TV. Would buying a 2TB time capsule and using it as a networked hard drive work for this, or should I buy an Airport base station and attach an external drive, or should I get a dedicated networked hard drive. I really want to stay away from having to set up a media server like Plex, because it is much more expensive.

Thanks!

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I want to rip my DVD collection to a hard drive and share it over my entire network to watch movies on my MacBooks, Google TV, and Apple TV. Would buying a 2TB time capsule and using it as a networked hard drive work for this, or should I buy an Airport base station and attach an external drive, or should I get a dedicated networked hard drive. I really want to stay away from having to set up a media server like Plex, because it is much more expensive.

Thanks!

Before you even worry about hardware choices, your first stumbling block is the ATV. It wont stream from anything other than iTunes with a jail break.

Beyond that any cheap router/attached hard drive combo will do what you need, unless you're also hoping to use the drive as a Time Machine target for the MacBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.