Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
gax279
macrumors newbie

Late 2006 MacBook Pro (MA611LL)-should I buy it?

Hello everyone-
Looking to join the Mac camp as my PC is dying (thankfully ).

For reference, the PC is a Windows XP machine, AMD Atholon XP 2400+, 2.00 GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM. The C drive totals 69.2 GB, with 47.4 GB used. It sits upstairs in the spare bedroom and is basically used for iTunes management and occasional MS Word or Excel use. I get a "your system is running low on virtual memory" message every now and then. My father-in-law gave me the machine a few years ago, so it technically hasn't cost me anything.

I do have an HP laptop that sits in the kitchen (2 years old) that is the "main PC" for the house. The wife and 11 year old use it both for school work (MS Word) and internet.

The wife has an iPhone4 and iPad2. I have an ATV2 in the basement to stream iTunes music to the H/T system. Also have 2 AirPort Express units to stream iTunes to the kitchen and to the outside deck in the backyard.

Daughter is getting an iPhone4S for Christmas.

So we're really becoming an Apple household.

A co-worker has a MacBook Pro, late 2006, MA611LL/A that is for sale. He is the original owner and does a lot of photo editing, so he bought a new MBP.

The outer case is spotless, it really looks brand new. The display and inner case also are spotless. He took it to the Apple store and had everything transferred to his new MBP. There are no problems with it per the Apple store. It has Snow Leopard on it.

Here are the specs:
MacBook Pro (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

He is asking $700. Would this be a good deal to replace the PC in the bedroom?

Or would I be better served looking at a 21.5" iMac (new for $1985 {8GB upgraded memory, 1TB hard drive, and 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor, AppleCare plan), or even a Refurb'd 21.5" iMac for $1530 (3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB memory, 1TB hard drive, AppleCare plan).

For now, main use of any of these would be MS Office (documents, excel), iTunes, and some photo management. It'd be great to have the machine allow us to do more in the future.

Thanks.
gax279 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
AAPLaday

Thats overpriced IMO. Any of the new Minis would be far far better.
AAPLaday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
SDColorado
macrumors 6502

Personally, unless you have a need for mobility or space is an issue where you plan to put the new computer, I would go with one of the iMac computers you list. First you gain several inches for viewing between the 21.5" and the 17", I think if you find you don't need the portability, you will enjoy it more. You also get a much faster processor, significantly more hard drive space, more memory capacity, a faster GPU. In other words, a far more future-proof machine. Not to mention I have seen similar model machines selling for about $500, so I don't think that price is necessarily a bargain. If he would come down to $450-500-ish, it might be more tempting.

Between the two you mention in your post. the quad-core is a great processor, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished model either. They have generally either been returned for a swap or whatever, or have already been somebody else's headache and repaired. Since they do come with AppleCare, you do have some assurance in case something else goes wrong.

With the MBP, there is no warranty available and it is an aging machine. That isn't to say that you couldn't get some more years out of it, but if it has been well used and travelled, often it is a matter of time before something fails.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:15 PM   #4
gax279
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDColorado View Post
Personally, unless you have a need for mobility or space is an issue where you plan to put the new computer, I would go with one of the iMac computers you list. First you gain several inches for viewing between the 21.5" and the 17", I think if you find you don't need the portability, you will enjoy it more. You also get a much faster processor, significantly more hard drive space, more memory capacity, a faster GPU. In other words, a far more future-proof machine.
Since I already have a laptop it's not necessary, but it would be nice. I agree that the iMac would be the best value for my money.

What I foresee is the wife and daughter really get into using the Mac OS so the laptop would be good since they could use it in the kitchen, family room, etc.

Quote:
Not to mention I have seen similar model machines selling for about $500, so I don't think that price is necessarily a bargain. If he would come down to $450-500-ish, it might be more tempting.

With the MBP, there is no warranty available and it is an aging machine. That isn't to say that you couldn't get some more years out of it, but if it has been well used and travelled, often it is a matter of time before something fails.
I can see if there is any wiggle room, he may be open for it. I think if I could get it for $500-$550 range, that would be a great way to introduce the family to a Mac.

Quote:
Between the two you mention in your post. the quad-core is a great processor, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished model either. They have generally either been returned for a swap or whatever, or have already been somebody else's headache and repaired. Since they do come with AppleCare, you do have some assurance in case something else goes wrong.
Thank you, all good points. I have no problem buying a refurb, I actually bought the 2 Airport Express Base Stations from the Apple refurb store.

Perhaps a MacMini would be a good compromise. Although factor in a decent monitor, keyboard, optical drive, etc., it's not too far off from an iMac.

Thanks again for your input.
gax279 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
ibuyufo
macrumors regular

You can easily get a mid 2010 macbook pro for an extra $100 more.
ibuyufo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think that's kind of high.
It is less than what most retailers want for that system, but I'd consider other options.

For $599 you can get a brand new mac mini.

You can re-use the keyboard, mouse, and monitor from the XP machine upstairs.

If you want a laptop, you could consider a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro.
Still a very good laptop and they sell for less than the Pro.

I'd suggest looking online to see what kind of prices you can find.
You may decide that this is the best deal.

Ultimately, it is your money. You must do what you feel is best.
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:23 AM   #7
DryEyez
macrumors 6502

Personally I would go with the mac mini, out of all the computers apple make at the moment, I think the with those you get the most bang for your buck by far in my opinion
DryEyez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8
laptoplover2
macrumors member

Doesn't sound like a TERRIBLE deal now, but maybe you should look at some other things first.
laptoplover2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook