Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I am finally getting an iPhone for the first time ever, been using an ancient flip phone for years. I'm not under contract so I'm going to upgrade. On AT&T

I was perfectly fine with getting the 4 for 100, but the 4S is only a 100 more... I'm just not fully sold on the camera/Siri for another 100 bucks.

About how long until refurb units start showing up? A month or two? more? And do you think there will be Thanksgiving sales for the 4s?

I have no idea how these things went for the 4 since I didn't follow the iphone scene until just now.

Thanks in advance

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
I've told this to everyone, and take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but if you don't want to pay the premium for the 4s, get the 3gs for free. I have had both the 3gs and the 4 and I ended up selling the 4 because my 3gs was just as good. There are very few operational differences between the two, and I have seen absolutely no performance difference. But... I am getting the 4s in a few weeks.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks greg, I'm actually a developer for iOS and I do need the hardware improvements in the 4 over the 3gs... plus I like the 5mp camera.

but if I can get the 4s soon for 50 bucks cheaper or something, I certainly will.

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

greganpace said:
I've told this to everyone, and take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but if you don't want to pay the premium for the 4s, get the 3gs for free. I have had both the 3gs and the 4 and I ended up selling the 4 because my 3gs was just as good. There are very few operational differences between the two, and I have seen absolutely no performance difference. But... I am getting the 4s in a few weeks.

I completely disagree, and I think most people would too. Don't buy a 3GS over the 4. There are a LOT of advantages to the 4 vs the 3GS.

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Gaming, multitasking and battery life, not to mention the retina display and vastly improved camera plus flash.

Seriously, I could understand if you were comparing an iPhone 4 to a 4S, but a 3GS to a 4 is not even a contest. :rolleyes:

My gaming, multitasking, and battery life are great. Use my phone almost all day, still have 60%+. Infinity blade plays better on my 3gs better than my friend's 4, and I don't know why multitasking is even an issue. That is just software, isn't it? and my 3gs runs iOS 5 without a problem. But the retina display and camera are about the only differences I have been able to see without getting technical. But I will admit I don't know a lot about the technical aspects, which is why I am asking.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Hi guys, please only reply if you're answering my question about refurb/sale prices...

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Thanks greg, I'm actually a developer for iOS and I do need the hardware improvements in the 4 over the 3gs... plus I like the 5mp camera.

but if I can get the 4s soon for 50 bucks cheaper or something, I certainly will.

you can not buy a refurbished iPhone

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm sure in few month time, AT&T will have Refurbish iphone 4S in stock. Not sure exactly when.
I do remember seeing refurbish iphones on AT&T shop list tho. Not sure if they still do but probably.

I don't think Apple store sells refurbish iphones tho. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

Most of the refurbish items that I usually see are the ones on the link provided.

k.i.t.t.o.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
Well, I'm not a developer but if I was, I'd definitely go for the 4S if only to explore the A5 duo core chip. And I think an 8 megapixel camera with 1080p video capabilities is definitely a good upgrade no matter how you slice it.

As for sales, I don't think I've ever seen a iPhone sale, and if there is, it's probably very rare. But then again, Black Friday is only a few weeks away so if you can afford the wait to see what might happen, then why not?

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I doubt there will be any sales for the 4s anytime soon with demand this high plus it only came out under a month ago. But I would get the 4s because in 2 years time the resell will be higher if you decide to upgrade then

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
get iphone 4 for $100
sell on CL or eBay after 2 years $200 (max)

end up paying $100

_________
get iphone 4s for $200
sell on CL or eBay after 2 years for $300

end up paying -$100

---------------------
u save MORE buying iphone 4s at this point ..... dont think go for it !

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi guys, please only reply if you're answering my question about refurb/sale prices...

You will not find a 4S on sale untill the new iphone comes out next year.
About refurbs they do come on sale but that usually happens many months after the initial release once there's plenty of refurbs put away for warranty replacements and plenty of stock to go around.
And those are about $50 or so cheaper but up to you if you want to wait.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago

Your a developer for iOS but this is your first iPhone ever? extremely weird...

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I doubt you will find any discounts on the 4s as they are having a hard time keeping them in stock already at their price. They will be discounted about a month before the next iPhone comes out. Don't get the 3GS. At least, get the 4 and if you can the 4s. The 4 is a huge upgrade over the 3GS and the 4s even more. Good luck.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Your a developer for iOS but this is your first iPhone ever? extremely weird...

Don't even start, I get enough crap at the office about it =P

I'm one of those minimalist types that enjoys technology but doesn't NEED it. I keep work and private life separate, you know? But it's gotten to a point where I can't argue against the features they have in the latest OS versions, and I'd love to have a decent camera and GPS all in my pocket.

Also thanks for the replies everyone... it sounds like there PROBABLY won't be a 4s available for less than 200 anytime soon..

But if I were to buy the 4s right now, and *hypothetically* a refurb, discounted model shows up on the ATT site on black friday or something, will I be able to return the one I got and get the cheaper one? Do they let you trade in like that within a certain time frame?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But if I were to buy the 4s right now, and *hypothetically* a refurb, discounted model shows up on the ATT site on black friday or something, will I be able to return the one I got and get the cheaper one? Do they let you trade in like that within a certain time frame?

No, you cant trade in or return wheneven you want.
You have 30 days to return it for any reason, if cheaper refurbs come out within that time then you can return and buy the refurb. If those 30 days are over you cannot return it or do any type of trade in. Its not a car:D

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've told this to everyone, and take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but if you don't want to pay the premium for the 4s, get the 3gs for free... There are very few operational differences between the two

Retina display, front-facing camera, 5MP + 720p main camera are all significant improvements on the 4.

----------

About how long until refurb units start showing up? A month or two? more? And do you think there will be Thanksgiving sales for the 4s?

Not sure when the refurb 4 became available at AT&T. I bought one last November but that was, what, 6 months after introduction? Something close to that. They had probably been around a while at that point.

It's quite possible that you'll see them as a Black Friday special. AT&T "Refurbished" phones are not actually refurbished in the normal use of the term, they are simply inspected/tested returned phones. They don't go back to Apple and aren't repaired or reconditioned in any way, just checked out & reboxed. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but my point is that there is no reason that AT&T couldn't have a good supply of them within just a month or two of release.

AT&T refurbs are typically $50 cheaper than normal, e.g. I paid $249 for my 32GB iPhone 4 when they were selling for $299 new. The refurbs will have a 90-day warranty through AT&T, but the Apple warranty will be 1 year from the date that AT&T originally sold the phone - so assuming it was a launch-day phone that was returned and resold to you, figure on your Apple warranty expiring 10/14/2012. AppleCare+ is not available on refurbs.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
As others above have said, the 4S will not go on sale until the iPhone 5 is released.

Yet another reason why I prefer Android...within 1-2 months of release, third party retailers like Amazon Wireless and Wirefly start offering the phones for 50%+ off.

Hell, the Droid RAZR - which pre-orderers paid $300 for last week - is on sale for $111 tomorrow on Amazon Wireless.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
As others above have said, the 4S will not go on sale until the iPhone 5 is released.

Yet another reason why I prefer Android...within 1-2 months of release, third party retailers like Amazon Wireless and Wirefly start offering the phones for 50%+ off.

Hell, the Droid RAZR - which pre-orderers paid $300 for last week - is on sale for $111 tomorrow on Amazon Wireless.

That is because no one is buying those phones anymore, so they have to be reduced in price in order to move them off the shelves.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Also don't forget that when you buy a refurbished iPhone, it comes with a 90 day warranty and the remainder of the 1 year warranty on when the phone was first purchased by the original owner. So if you buy an iPhone in 6 months it comes with 90 days warranty and 6 months left of the original 1 year warranty. If you buy it after the 1 year warranty expires you get 90 days. You have to ask yourself is it worth losing a substantial amount of the warranty to save 50$?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.