Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:02 PM   #1
markw10
macrumors 6502

Can I block websites on iPhone-iOS 5?

I am hoping to give my son an iPhone and it would be useful for a lot of his educational uses so I want him to have the internet to use but there's a few websites I'd like to block such as YouTube and Facebook.
Do the Parental controls allow me to block specific websites? From what I've read up on it appears you can't block specific websites?
I have never been a believer in jailbreaking a phone but it comes up for this. If Apple's iOS5 does not allow blocking of websites, can I jailbreak the iPhone with a jailbroken version of iOS5 that maybe allows features such as blocking websites? Or would a jailbroken iphone have these features?
Thanks for your help.
markw10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:30 PM   #2
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I am hoping to give my son an iPhone and it would be useful for a lot of his educational uses so I want him to have the internet to use but there's a few websites I'd like to block such as YouTube and Facebook.
Do the Parental controls allow me to block specific websites? From what I've read up on it appears you can't block specific websites?
I have never been a believer in jailbreaking a phone but it comes up for this. If Apple's iOS5 does not allow blocking of websites, can I jailbreak the iPhone with a jailbroken version of iOS5 that maybe allows features such as blocking websites? Or would a jailbroken iphone have these features?
Thanks for your help.
You can't block specific sites with Safari, but you can disable it - along with the ability to download apps, run YouTube etc. There are browsers in the app store that claim to offer safe filtering for youngsters. Kill Safari, YouTube etc, get a kid friendly browser, then block app downloads moving forward and you should be all set. Bottom line, you should be able to accomplish your mission without needing a jailbreak.

If you're buying new, think about a really good shock-resistant case and some insurance/AppleCare etc.
dotme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone