Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iluvifone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I wanna buy a Macbook Air in the next few weeks, but don't really have the extra few hundred for applecare. I'm just checking to make sure that I'll still be able to add the additional 2 years of applecare (after the standard 1 year warranty thats included) within 1 year of the purchase, correct? So basically, I have exactly 1 year from the date of purchasing my macbook, to buy and register the extended applecare?

the apple store sells it for $250, but i've found some that are 50$ cheaper on ebay, so I think i'll just buy one of those next summer.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Be very very very careful about buying Applecare on eBay. There are numerous threads about people who have been burned. Amazon usually has Applecare at a decent discount.

You have one year from date of purchase, but don't wait till the last minute.

iluvifone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Be very very very careful about buying Applecare on eBay. There are numerous threads about people who have been burned. Amazon usually has Applecare at a decent discount.

Thanks for the advice :) I was planning to do more research regarding ebay anyway, I'm very careful on there.

And I won't wait till the last minute. Just 7 or 8 months, till i have more cash flow :)

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY

That's interesting. I was actually planning on picking one up from eBay. Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll just get one from Amazon after all :)

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Interestingly enough, I got my Macbook Air with the education discount, as a high school student, having only taken one day's worth of community college classes.

It all depends on the sales clerk that you get, I'd say.

Anyways, it seems as OP wants to buy it online ... I think. I'd definitely go with Amazon or B&H for this approach.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Interestingly enough, I got my Macbook Air with the education discount, as a high school student, having only taken one day's worth of community college classes.

It all depends on the sales clerk that you get, I'd say.

Anyways, it seems as OP wants to buy it online ... I think. I'd definitely go with Amazon or B&H for this approach.

In my personal experience the sales clerks are very happy to give out discounts. My brother bought an iMac using my student discount (after I'd just bought mine), and it was the sales clerk who actually suggested it (knowing I had used my discount before), not the other way around.

Swain

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
In my personal experience the sales clerks are very happy to give out discounts. My brother bought an iMac using my student discount (after I'd just bought mine), and it was the sales clerk who actually suggested it (knowing I had used my discount before), not the other way around.

Looks like he was in the need of getting his monthly quota.
Guess that was your brother's luck :)

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Actually from what I've heard, some people actually had to proof that they were a student.
So you might want to be careful with that.

The link I gave was for the online Apple Store. There's no place to provide proof online, even if you have it.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
My family just ordered a refurb for me from the Apple Store, it comes with a 1 yr warranty, can I add the extra Applecare Warranty later?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.