Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 18, 2005, 08:40 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Mac mini v.1 sales curve slows

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Mac mini v.1 sales curve slows

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 09:25 AM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Okay. The Mac mini and biggest iPod models are niche products, why would anyone have expected runaway sales on those? They fill gaps, but they were never destined to be bread and butter products.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 09:39 AM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G4

Well, "price including monitor is no bargain" if they compare a 20" Apple display with the the low-end 15-17" displays you'd REALLY get for a Mini (and which Apple ought to sell).

Meanwhile, of course Mac Mini sales are less now--we have great new iMacs and eMacs which overlap the same market somewhat. That doesn't mean the Mac Mini sales are poor. ALL products have such cycles.

(I would call high-end music players niche products--but not low-end computers! The Mac Mini is a machine with huge mainstream appeal--but that won't be realized overnight since it reaches into a price bracket that's not familiar with the Mac option traditionally. But now with Tiger.... time for some ads?)

Last edited by nagromme; May 18, 2005 at 09:41 AM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

The Mac Mini is NOT in any way a niche product. No one wants to spend at minimum a grand and a half on a new computer. How many Mac users are still out there on a G3 Mac? How many are on something older? This is Apple's low end solution. The problem is its too low end. Apple gutted this device for all its worth. At minimum it should be shipping with 512MB/5400 RPM HD/and a 64MB VRAM GPU. Even if it was 1" higher to accommodate all of this its an acceptable tradeoff.
I personally think the people who are most interested in the mini on the Windows side are the geeks and they are holding off for an upgrade. Here’s hoping something happens at WWDC.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 10:28 AM   #5
bentley
macrumors 6502

Mac Minis are not a niche product at all as rightly described.

They're the cheapest way to get on the Mac platform and that appeals to lots of people including my Joe Average family who I encouraged to get one.

It's a great computer and it doesn't break when I'm 40 miles away and can't fix it.

Not niche at all. It's an average familys computer for whom an iMac would be overkill.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:42 AM   #6
1macker1
Banned

I think it's for current Mac users who want a 2nd cheapo Mac.
1macker1 is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

Well duh! Of course Mac mini sales are slower now that the initial rush to buy one is over. Nobody expected for Apple to maintain the kind of booming sales they surely had for the first couple of months that they were available. Most of the people that were wanting one right away obviously bought one during that time. I'm sure that once sales fall below the level Apple wants/needs them to be at, that an updated mini will be released shortly afterwards. And that will ignite the buying cycle all over again...
Lancetx is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 11:22 AM   #8
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Quote:
The Mac Mini is a machine with huge mainstream appeal--but that won't be realized overnight since it reaches into a price bracket that's not familiar with the Mac option traditionally.
I think that is a fair point.

It also remains to be seen whether those buying up mini's are the target / switcher market or simply mac enthusiasts. I don't think that the target market really follows mac rumours and is less likely to be influenced by Apple's product cycles. After the initial excitement of the new product, hopefully we will see sustained sales albeit at a lower level.
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Stella
macrumors 603

if people think they need to get a 20" apple display then they haven't done any research ( only old assumptions such as Apple Computers are only compatible with Apple hardware).

The Mac Mini is still a bargain without a monitor - compare iMac G5 to Mac Mini - complete bargain. I'm conveniently leaving eMac out of it ;-)

Monitors are dirt cheap these days, so the extra cost of a monitor is little. Since Mac Mini is aimed at PC switchers, these will have a spare monitor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
Well, "price including monitor is no bargain" if they compare a 20" Apple display with the the low-end 15-17" displays you'd REALLY get for a Mini (and which Apple ought to sell).

Meanwhile, of course Mac Mini sales are less now--we have great new iMacs and eMacs which overlap the same market somewhat. That doesn't mean the Mac Mini sales are poor. ALL products have such cycles.

(I would call high-end music players niche products--but not low-end computers! The Mac Mini is a machine with huge mainstream appeal--but that won't be realized overnight since it reaches into a price bracket that's not familiar with the Mac option traditionally. But now with Tiger.... time for some ads?)
Old May 18, 2005, 11:40 AM   #10
wowoah
macrumors regular

I agree with the poster above who said that Apple should offer smaller monitor sizes for Mac Mini purchasers. Even if they themselves don't want to produce these smaller monitors, they should carry low-end monitors from other companies, such as Samsung or Viewsonic, that way a sales rep talking to someone who wants a Mac Mini doesn't have to send them to Fry's or something to shop for a monitor.

Then again, isn't a Mac Mini + low-end monitor essentially identical to an eMac? Hmmm...did I just kill my own point?
wowoah is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 11:44 AM   #11
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
If Apple wants to keep the mini competative they should really upgrade its specks, the eMac makes it look a lot less desirable. Apple should be shipping 512 and a faster HD standard, maybe introduce a cheap monitor to go along with it.
Old May 18, 2005, 12:01 PM   #12
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
if people think they need to get a 20" apple display then they haven't done any research ( only old assumptions such as Apple Computers are only compatible with Apple hardware).
Yeah, I remember being shocked the very first time I configured a PowerMac on the Apple store and thought I had to add an Apple display (I was so used to the HP or Dell websites). Luckily I like the OS so much, and heard about macrumors on The Screen Savers, so it didn't scare me away permanently.
plinden is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 01:16 PM   #13
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley
Mac Minis are not a niche product at all as rightly described.
It is very much a niche product in the way Apple offers it. The value is very good if one has a spare monitor that outlived its host (which happens depressingly often), but once one needs to buy a decent monitor and USB keyboard and mouse (something the owner of a less-than-brand-new PC is unlikely to have) it's wandering squarely into eMac territory.

The mini is a nice solution for fence sitters who already have (or had) a PC, and people who have decided on a Mac and like that form factor, but it isn't really competing at the PC low end, where monitors are included at the $500 point. The people who need to spend as little as possible will continue to buy that stuff.

It did come to light in the recent poll that this site is vastly over-represented by IT workers, so the odd views around here of what normal people might want is at least more understandable now
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 08:00 PM   #14
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
I think it's too small, it doesn't look like computer. Walking thru Best Buy it's easy to mistake it for for one of them light buttons.
macnulty is offline   0
Old May 18, 2005, 08:23 PM   #15
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Maybe Apple should advertise they sell a computer you would think they are only a "Pod Maker".
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:47 AM   #16
Machead III
macrumors 6502

Well let's be honest, the mac desktop range is a bit of a mess right now. I'm not saying it's attrocious, but what with the Intel switch, the overlapping of the iMac and eMac and the slightly under-realised Mac mini it's far from healthy. However I'm sure Apple knows this, we know this and it's simply a matter of time before it's tided up. We'll just have to wait.
- Noam Chomsky

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man!"
- Che Guevara (moments before assassination)
Machead III is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:41 AM   #17
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
Maybe Apple should advertise they sell a computer you would think they are only a "Pod Maker".
Apple doesn't sell computers. They just sell cute pieces of plastic that are so grossly incompatible that they're capable neither of accessing the internet nor of opening Office documents.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:05 PM   #18
ClarkeB
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
compare iMac G5 to Mac Mini - complete bargain. I'm conveniently leaving eMac out of it ;-)
The iMac G5 and the Mac mini run different processors. One is a 1.8 or 2.0 Ghz PPC G5 and the other is a 1.25Ghz or 1.42 Ghz PPC G4 (not to mention hard drives, etc.)

Leaving eMac out is ludicrous. It is the only desktop machine that even resembles the Mac mini...1.42 Ghz G4, anyone?

Of course an iMac G5 is going to cost a lot more....more processor power, more standard RAM, duallayer Superdrive, widescreen Apple display (the best displays on the market), better graphics card, AE and BT2 standard, 160GB HD standard (v. the 40 or 80 on the mini).

So, basically, your statement was in reverse...compare Mac mini to iMac G5...complete bargain (for the iMac)
iPod 4G/20GB
iPod shuffle 1G/512MB
ClarkeB is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion