Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Apple released iOS 5.0.1, the first update to the company's latest iOS 5.0 mobile operating system and one designed in large part to address complaints of battery life issues. But even with the update, a number of users are still reporting significant issues with battery life on their iOS devices.

ios5.jpg

Apple has now provided a statement to AllThingsD indicating that it is continuing to investigate the battery life complaints in an attempt to determine what is causing the problems.
The recent iOS software update addressed many of the battery issues that some customers experienced on their iOS 5 devices," the company said in a statement. "We continue to investigate a few remaining issues."
Apple has not committed yet to a near-term iOS update to address any additional issues, but is presumably already working on a follow-up update incorporating fixes for any other problems it discovers.

Article Link: Apple Continuing to Investigate iOS 5 Battery Issues

mbob

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Fix it!

My 4S is not better with 5.01. I loose 5-10% an hour in standby with no activity. I have deactivated everything but Location Services.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Fix it!

My 4S is not better with 5.01. Just not as bad as 5 with icloud on. I loose 5-10% an hour in standby.

That is what it's supposed to lose. At that rate, you'd get at least 10 hours of battery life when it's being used, and even more if it's on standby.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Mine is the exact same. possibly worse with the update. I have everything turned off except one thing in location services.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
My battery was fine on iOS 5
Then I got 5.0.1 beta 1 and it got worse.
Now I am on beta 2. I haven't received the OTA download.
iPhone 4S.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
That is what it's supposed to lose. At that rate, you'd get at least 10 hours of battery life when it's being used, and even more if it's on standby.

Not really any phone, especially pre iOS 5, would get a lot more life than 10hrs on standby (if you lost 10% an hour).

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Just to chime in with my experience...

Upgrading to iOS 5.0.0 was a mistake for me. I travel a lot, and don't have access to outlets too terribly often, so I had to get a juice pack for my iPhone 4 just to get through the day. If I set my phone on a table and didn't touch it, by the end of the work day I would be around 30%.

This morning I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1. I took it off the charger at 8am, and here it is, 2:30pm and my phone JUST NOW dropped to 99% battery. 1% in 6.5 hours, I at first thought my phone was just lying to me. Now I'm inclined to believe Apple somehow integrated "free energy" into the most recent update! :cool:

Swan83

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
This morning I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1. I took it off the charger at 8am, and here it is, 2:30pm and my phone JUST NOW dropped to 99% battery. 1% in 6.5 hours, I at first thought my phone was just lying to me. Now I'm inclined to believe Apple somehow integrated "free energy" into the most recent update! :cool:

I think you need to calibrate your battery meter...

kmccown

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Philadelphia
Return

Yeah, just talked to Apple on the phone... They told me to take my 4S to an Apple Store to swap it for a new one. I'll tell ya, I'm so close to returning it. Just wish I could have my 4 back with iOS 4. Notification Center, Siri and Faster CPU/GPU= not worth it.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
iPhone 4S.

Betas don't get OTA download where a final version is released, to make sure no beta code remains on the device. Same thing happened when iOS 5 was released and some of us where in the iOS 5 betas. You have to update or restore using iTunes,

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
I'm not sure what to think after the update. I was listening to music last night before bed, with headphones on and the battery was at 100%. 8 hours later, I woke up and the music was still playing and my battery was at 80%. Seems impressive. Now, 13 1/2 hours after a full charge, its at 60% with mixed use/standby since this morning. I like to think it worked. I'll see how long it takes to get to 0%.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
iPhone 4S.

Since you're on the beta, you can't OTA to final release. iTunes is your only solution.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
A step backwards

I miss my iPhone 4. Using jailbreak apps to manage automatically manage Location Services and Bluetooth, and using SBSettings to easily control brightness and Airplane Mode+Wifi vs. 3G, I could get 2 days of use. I've since realized I depended heavily on the iPhone 4's strong standby time.
Now, though obviously not an apples to apples comparison, the diminished standby time on my stock 4S coupled with huge drops in battery life even for web browsing, has me travelling with the power adapter.

BackInAction

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
I "did something" Wednesday evening or Thursday morning that triggered the battery issue on my 4S. I lost 90% in less than 4 hours with almost no use. Previously, I could go 2 days between charges.

After the 5.0.1 patch, my issue seems to be resolved. As I'm at 70% after being off the charger for 7 hours (several 10+ min calls, handful of txt, a touch of browsing and some email. All on wifi).

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
I still have issue with the battery if use with wifi, but now standby did get better.

I have bigger issue when making call with the echo issue. Echo only happens when I call my wife iPhone 4(4.3.3), not sure if this indicate anything...

gazter

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
This update has done zilch to deal with the problem of using a car charger. just get repeated disconnects. If anything it is worse following the update.

iVirusYx

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Network issues

What about the signal loss / network issues??? A lot of users are complaining about this, and so do I!!!

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I lost 6% for 2.5 hours of standby with no WiFi on. And strangely it registered 16 min of use, which is not true.

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
I think you need to calibrate your battery meter...

Uhh...I guess you didn't understand. I travel A LOT. That, combined with a phone that drains it's battery equates to an almost constant cycling of my battery. My battery was well calibrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.