Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathiasLa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Is this possible? To use my old external hard drive without formatting it, on my new mac? I once heard there was an app for this. Some one knows?

Thanks

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
It has to be formatted. A blank hard drive is completely useless.

Or are you asking if you can use it without *re*formatting? That depends on the format. You might need a third-party driver for certain file systems.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
If it's NTFS, then you have to format it if you want to write to it natively. If it's FAT, then you're okay. If it's Journaled, no issue as well.

MathiasLa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
It has to be formatted. A blank hard drive is completely useless.

Or are you asking if you can use it without *re*formatting? That depends on the format. You might need a third-party driver for certain file systems.

I just dont wanna delete everything I have on my harddrive from my windows. I saw someone with an app that made him able to read and write from the same EHDD that he used on his windows.

If it's NTFS, then you have to format it if you want to write to it natively. If it's FAT, then you're okay. If it's Journaled, no issue as well.

How do I check that?

Never mind, I found out. Its NFTS.

What im looking for as an app so that I can write and read ON my nfts harddrive. Im SURE there is an app out there.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.