Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Sorry but this is my first post in this part of the form so sorry if this is in the wrong area etc.
Ok so anyways some iPad users complain about the lack of storage and there has been little success. I wanted to see what people were using to expand there iPad storage. These are the two options I have come across.

1) This was has obvious limitations: It requires a battery charge, it requires network connectivity and is quite heavy. On the bright side it is a lot more storage and pretty cheap for what you get.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/500gb-seagate-wi-fi-hard-drive-streams-to-ipad/
Cost: $200 for 500gb

Pros:
-adds a lot of storage
-low dollar per GB

Cons:
-needs battery to work
-heavy
-large
-requires network

2) This is the first thing I have ever seen like this. It is actually a usb drive for the iPad. It is said to work well. The only gripes are that it is sort of large (but smaller then the first) and has smaller storage because it is, well a usb stick. And also it is very expensive.
http://modmyi.com/content/4550-i-flashdrive-eases-ios-memory-expansion-woes.html
Pros:
-Does not require battery
-light and small
Cons
-expensive
-largeish
-cost

Cost: 8 GB ($95) to 32 GB ($180).

Note neither options require a jailbreak
Perhaps we could add to this list. If any of you have used anything let us know! :) And if anyone has had luck with the camera connection kit and storage do tell!

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Hmm...yeah those two options do seem tough to choose from. I've read about the Camera Connector + Storage options but from what I recall, they require JB.

Have you thought about going remote for your storage? If it's media that you're concerned with, I wonder if Air Video might help. I haven't tried the Internet Streaming option but within my WiFi network at home, Air Video works brilliantly. It does all the conversion on the fly and streams to my iPad with no problems.

As far as files go, I use a combination of DropBox and GoodReader.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hmm...yeah those two options do seem tough to choose from. I've read about the Camera Connector + Storage options but from what I recall, they require JB.

Have you thought about going remote for your storage? If it's media that you're concerned with, I wonder if Air Video might help. I haven't tried the Internet Streaming option but within my WiFi network at home, Air Video works brilliantly. It does all the conversion on the fly and streams to my iPad with no problems.

As far as files go, I use a combination of DropBox and GoodReader.

Elpmas, glad you enjoyed it.
I actually don't even have an iPad. I just saw an add for the flash drive (which works with the iPod touch and iPhone also "D )and though somebody would find it useful. Then I remembered reading about the other storage system also. I doubt I will go remote. I was going to do that (I own a macbook air) But it was more trouble than it as worth so I just got the larger SSD. I have tried air video for my lame home theatre system (you will love it: 32" tube to, apple composite av cable, knockoff universal dock, and an old iPod touch with a broken home bottom to stream my content) The problem is that I download all my music from iTunes which has a drm and can not be streamed (Were do you get your tv shows and moved from?)

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
(you will love it: 32" tube to, apple composite av cable, knockoff universal dock, and an old iPod touch with a broken home bottom to stream my content)

Hah that's awesome! :)

The problem is that I download all my music from iTunes which has a drm and can not be streamed (Were do you get your tv shows and moved from?)

Ah, okay. I figured you might've tried Air Video and other alternate solutions before looking for the rather clunky(?) external storage options for the iPad. :)
I just did a quick search and found that Air PlayIt supports streaming of DRM media from your iTunes playlist. I haven't read too much into details but it seems to be able to handle DRM stuff as opposed to AirVideo and StreamToMe that can't.
Air Playit Upgraded to Support Streaming DRM Video to iPhone iPad
But check this out. It looks like the DRM videos can't be converted on the fly and could only be streamed within Safari.
Issues with DRM iTunes movies
Also seems that some people are experiencing that the conversion is slower with Air Playit compared to Air Video
Air Playit vs Air Video Review

I suppose you just may want an external storage after all...hmm.. :)

As with where I get my media from, I have a subscription plan with another company that allows me to stream music live and download 40 songs per month. As far as my video goes, I do a lot of Netflix streaming (*gasp, yes I'm subscribed to Netflix lol) and I rip the DVDs from my Netflix DVDs (not for distribution) so I could ship my DVDs back to Netflix the next day and watch my movies/TV shows when I can. One thing that I really download are the F1 races. Most of my Air Video usage comes from these F1 races and DVDs that I rented from Netflix. Occasionally when the DVD files are too big and the live conversion with Air Video gets clunky, I go with Splashtop Remote to my computer to stream the entire computer to my iPad.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for the apps. I will definatley check them out. Jealous of my setup ??? :rolleyes: Has anyone tried any of the external storage systems I found?

yashrg

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Sorry but this is my first post in this part of the form so sorry if this is in the wrong area etc.
Ok so anyways some iPad users complain about the lack of storage and there has been little success. I wanted to see what people were using to expand there iPad storage. These are the two options I have come across.

1) This was has obvious limitations: It requires a battery charge, it requires network connectivity and is quite heavy. On the bright side it is a lot more storage and pretty cheap for what you get.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/500gb-seagate-wi-fi-hard-drive-streams-to-ipad/
Cost: $200 for 500gb

Pros:
-adds a lot of storage
-low dollar per GB

Cons:
-needs battery to work
-heavy
-large
-requires network

2) This is the first thing I have ever seen like this. It is actually a usb drive for the iPad. It is said to work well. The only gripes are that it is sort of large (but smaller then the first) and has smaller storage because it is, well a usb stick. And also it is very expensive.
http://modmyi.com/content/4550-i-flashdrive-eases-ios-memory-expansion-woes.html
Pros:
-Does not require battery
-light and small
Cons
-expensive
-largeish
-cost

Cost: 8 GB ($95) to 32 GB ($180).

Note neither options require a jailbreak
Perhaps we could add to this list. If any of you have used anything let us know! :) And if anyone has had luck with the camera connection kit and storage do tell!

What is the name of that second product because the link won't work.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Streaming

Have a look at western digital network drives
I have a western digital my book live which is 2Tb and it is very good i have
lots of videos,music on there and i also use the drive as a time machine back up to so it can be used in a lot of ways just not for streaming

If i'am not in a wifi spot i use a hyperdrive (600gb) and just drop my files on my iPad great when you are on holiday and you want to watch something and you not in wifi zone
i hope these helps

Happy padding :):)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Hypermac only Supports

Import 720p high definition videos from HyperDrive to iPad Import high

resolution JPEG and RAW photos from HyperDrive to iPad

Squashsparky

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Expanding Storage for iPad... Inc Streaming.

You can expand the iPad's storage, if you have reached capacity.

I have a 64GB one, and have filled it up with 40GB music, and 24 GB movies, but have 500GB of movies on my NAS drive...

There are at least 3 solutions, 2 are main stream from reputable solution providers.

Try the Kingston Wi-Drive.
It is a 16GB SDD drive, with built in Wi-Fi Hot spot, and its own Ipad add, that allows you to stream Music and Movies direct from the drive.
You simply connect it to your PC / Mac to copy your files on to it.

The alternative is:
The Seagate GoFlex Satellite drive
See a review here>
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/network-storage/1288390/seagate-goflex-satellite

This is a 500GB external drive, which also works as a mini WiFi Hot spot, that streams direct to your Ipad, again using its own iPad app.

Both allow, more than one Ipad to stream simultaneously, i.e. you can be sat in a car, and three people can stream different movies off the same drive.

Hope this helps.

aceweil

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
You can expand the iPad's storage, if you have reached capacity.

I have a 64GB one, and have filled it up with 40GB music, and 24 GB movies, but have 500GB of movies on my NAS drive...

There are at least 3 solutions, 2 are main stream from reputable solution providers.

Try the Kingston Wi-Drive.
It is a 16GB SDD drive, with built in Wi-Fi Hot spot, and its own Ipad add, that allows you to stream Music and Movies direct from the drive.
You simply connect it to your PC / Mac to copy your files on to it.

The alternative is:
The Seagate GoFlex Satellite drive
See a review here>
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/network-storage/1288390/seagate-goflex-satellite

This is a 500GB external drive, which also works as a mini WiFi Hot spot, that streams direct to your Ipad, again using its own iPad app.

Both allow, more than one Ipad to stream simultaneously, i.e. you can be sat in a car, and three people can stream different movies off the same drive.

Hope this helps.

I've been wondering about these options and it seems like the hyperdrive is the only large storage device that doesn't require wifi? I'm going to be living in Africa with my iPad and access to Internet will be minimal at best. I have about 500gb of media on an external and wondered what kind of devices could be linked with the iPad to access them if wireless were not accessible. Is the hyperdrive the only one people know of? Pretty pricey for an hd!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.