Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Kendo
macrumors 6502a

How to only keep iTunes music on external hard drive?

Since the MacBook Air has limited space as it is, I want to keep my music on an external hard drive. But when I drag my music from the external hard drive into my iTunes library, it seems to copy over onto the hard drive which isn't ideal.

This doesn't happen on my Windows machine. Is there a setting in OS X that I'm not seeing?
Kendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

you have to tell iTunes which location you want your library in. (external hdd in your case)

Plug your external HDD in

open iTunes, click iTunes at the top, go to preferences.

Click on the Advanced tab

next to iTunes Media Folder Location click change, navigate to your external HDD

Make sure both boxes (Keep iTunes Folder Organized, and Copy Files to iTunes Folder) are checked

Click OK
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Kendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx View Post
you have to tell iTunes which location you want your library in. (external hdd in your case)

next to iTunes Media Folder Location click change, navigate to your external HDD

Make sure both boxes (Keep iTunes Folder Organized, and Copy Files to iTunes Folder) are checked

Click OK
What does Copy Files to iTunes Folder do?
Kendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:42 AM   #4
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
What does Copy Files to iTunes Folder do?
exactly what it says, copies the music to your iTunes Media Folder so that when you import your music to iTunes it will always be there. You can delete it from the original location after you have imported the music if this box is checked.
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
deepakvrao
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx View Post

Click OK
Works great for me. I have a network HDD [Seagate GoFlex Home]. 2TB and works great on my home wifi.
deepakvrao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:42 PM   #6
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Works great for me. I have a network HDD [Seagate GoFlex Home]. 2TB and works great on my home wifi.
How beautiful, you can serve all PCs with music this way.

my music library is 5GB so I have no problem keeping it in my local volume
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
glen e
macrumors 68030

where are the tunes located on my MBA that I can eliminate once I've done the above?

also I watched it copy for a few min, but not long... - how do I verify the tunes moved to my HDD? all I can see on my HDD is a foldr called "auto add to itunes"...only 90K - I have about 16gig in tunes...

am I missing that all this above is AFTER I copy my itunes folder to the hard drive?

Last edited by glen e; Nov 13, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air