Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 12, 2002, 12:37 AM   #1
vniow
macrumors 603

Intel loses Itanium patent ruling

Quote:
A federal court ruled Thursday that Intel's Itanium processor violates patents owned by Intergraph and ordered Intel to pay $150 million in damages.

The ruling is the culmination of the trial phase of a bitter, multi-issue dispute, dating back to 1997. Huntsville, Ala.-based Intergraph, once a close ally of Intel's in the workstation market, alleged that Itanium, an Intel chip for servers, infringed on designs embodied in two Intergraph patents and in its Clipper processor, a microchip formerly used in Intergraph's workstations.

Years ago, a court threw out antitrust complaints filed by Intergraph, and this past April, Intel agreed to pay $300 million to settle claims that its Pentium lines of chips infringed on Intergraph patents.
Notice that they infringed Intergraph's patents on the Pentium as well, interesting.

150 mil isn't anything they can't handle, but it doesn't make them look good.

And you're complaining why?

Enjoy.
vniow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 03:45 AM   #2
davidc2182
macrumors regular

hahahaha

sheesh microsloth steals from apple and intel steals from another processor company, jeez isnt it just typical? they cannot do anything original

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."
davidc2182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 06:52 AM   #3
mac15
macrumors 68040

haha, suck it intel
mac15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:16 AM   #4
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Nice to see that Intergraph has come out a winner again. They're amazing! I'm not sure that the money will help a lot, other than to pay the attorneys' fees, though.

If only it were so easy to prove software issues.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:45 AM   #5
davidc2182
macrumors regular

my only question is

why did they get so little money? i mean if intel hadn't stolen like they did, its possible other chip fabs could have been more successful than intel.

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."
davidc2182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events