Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
[SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Will the latest version of Snow Leopard work for the Macbook Pros?

Here is the official specs:

2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MPB 15" Glossy WS Display
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Thank you for your time Mac lovers!

EDIT: Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!

Last edited by DayOfChaos; Dec 21, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
No. Snow Leopard will crash upon boot or be very unstable.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
MagicBoy
macrumors 68000
 
MagicBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
There have been at least three threads running for this question within the last week. Have a quick search.
__________________
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro with retina display 2.3GHz; Mac mini (2009) 2GHz ;
iPhone 6 64GB ; PowerBook Titanium G4 667Mhz

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:37 PM   #4
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Thank you for your responses.
DayOfChaos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Steve's Barber
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard.
Got your tit caught in the proverbial wringer, eh?
Steve's Barber is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:12 AM   #6
thundersteele
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
hmm, funny thread

better cancel that order quickly
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Ramasjang
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
It will work. I installed 10.6.6 on my late 2011 15".
Ramasjang is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:00 AM   #8
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020
 
AppleFanatic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles but missing San Diego </3
Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Will the latest version of Snow Leopard work for the Macbook Pros?

Here is the official specs:

2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MPB 15" Glossy WS Display
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Thank you for your time Mac lovers!
I've read on this forum that it's possible to install Snow Leopard on a new MB Pro, search around the forum and hopefully you'll find the thread that tells you how to do this .

----------

Was searching on google on how to install Leopard on a Snow Leopard based Mac and ended up finding this on How to Install OS X Snow Leopard on a Lion Based Mac. Hope this helps.
__________________
White Unibody MacBook, 2.4GHz, 1TB HD, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.9.4
iPad Mini 1Gen 16GB
iP6 SG 16GB 9/30/2014
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:47 AM   #9
CountBrass
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
No. Snow Leopard will crash upon boot or be very unstable.
You couldn't be more wrong.

I took an SSD with SL installed from my first gen Mac Pro and installed it in my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.
CountBrass is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:18 AM   #10
punkromance
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountBrass View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.

I took an SSD with SL installed from my first gen Mac Pro and installed it in my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.
He was being sarcastic.
punkromance is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:27 PM   #11
MagicBoy
macrumors 68000
 
MagicBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkromance View Post
He was being sarcastic.
No indications to suggest that it was.
__________________
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro with retina display 2.3GHz; Mac mini (2009) 2GHz ;
iPhone 6 64GB ; PowerBook Titanium G4 667Mhz

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:34 PM   #12
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Well, a few of them arrived today. I'm thinking of try SL on 10.6.8, but I wonder if it will 100% use all the hardware, lacking drivers and such.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:41 PM   #13
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!
DayOfChaos is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:06 PM   #14
Benguitar
macrumors 65816
 
Benguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I would have imagined that when placing an order as large as that one, the purchaser might have done a little research before hand or at least asked Apple (via the Apple store chat or AppleCare) if such a setup would work before placing the order.

I don't believe you should have any problems with Snow Leopard running on machines that ship with Lion.
__________________
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy." -M.R.
Benguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:27 PM   #15
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benguitar View Post
I don't believe you should have any problems with Snow Leopard running on machines that ship with Lion.
Until the machines ship with hardware that Snow Leopard does not support.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:49 PM   #16
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benguitar View Post
I would have imagined that when placing an order as large as that one, the purchaser might have done a little research before hand or at least asked Apple (via the Apple store chat or AppleCare) if such a setup would work before placing the order.

I don't believe you should have any problems with Snow Leopard running on machines that ship with Lion.
We did. If anything we were going to run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine. But being able to have it officially run is awesome.

Thank you to MacRumors and of course Apple for including the drivers for the late 2011 models in 10.6.8
DayOfChaos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:42 PM   #17
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816
 
JamesGorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Mind me asking if they gave you a discount on the order?

----------

Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Mind me asking if they gave you a discount on the order?
JamesGorman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:47 PM   #18
David085
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Wow 200 MBP on order I only dream of having that many
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:51 PM   #19
thundersteele
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
so, when will that game of yours appear?

good to hear that SL works
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:09 AM   #20
Ccrew
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!
I would have thought that a company that was into software development would be sensitive to downloading bootleg ISO's off the web but I guess not.
Ccrew is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:35 AM   #21
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGorman View Post
Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Mind me asking if they gave you a discount on the order?

----------

Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Mind me asking if they gave you a discount on the order?
Hi, yes we do get a discount on the computer ranging from ~200-300. Its not much, but hey, if it works, it works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by David085 View Post
Wow 200 MBP on order I only dream of having that many
They arn't all for me, lol, they are all for the staff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersteele View Post
so, when will that game of yours appear?

good to hear that SL works
I dont want people thinking my purpose was to advertise, but you can PM me, and I will be glad to give you the link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
I would have thought that a company that was into software development would be sensitive to downloading bootleg ISO's off the web but I guess not.
Sorry for the confusion. The actual ISO we downloaded was from a development server. I dont believe they are any legit 10.6.7 copies floating on the web. (Were they even on the retail disk?)
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:43 AM   #22
Ccrew
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Sorry for the confusion. The actual ISO we downloaded was from a development server. I dont believe they are any legit 10.6.7 copies floating on the web. (Were they even on the retail disk?)
Highest retail disc was 10.6.3 to answer your question. That's what causes issues with the newer MBP's, as the 10.6.6 build they came with was special due to the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt hardware. The 10.6.7 update forked the code (different patch based on hardware), then they merged again for 10.6.8
Ccrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:36 AM   #23
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Highest retail disc was 10.6.3 to answer your question. That's what causes issues with the newer MBP's, as the 10.6.6 build they came with was special due to the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt hardware. The 10.6.7 update forked the code (different patch based on hardware), then they merged again for 10.6.8
That explains why the drivers and everything then worked once 10.6.8 was installed. So that means Apple did put drivers for the late 2011 MBP in 10.6.8 correct? Otherwise, the update I'm sure would not have fixed anything.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:44 AM   #24
Ccrew
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
That explains why the drivers and everything then worked once 10.6.8 was installed. So that means Apple did put drivers for the late 2011 MBP in 10.6.8 correct? Otherwise, the update I'm sure would not have fixed anything.
More than likely, and you probably had a non-2011 10.6.7 build.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

You can see there where they forked the 10.6.7 patch..

Just as a FYI though, if you have problems with one of those computers Apple's "official" line will be that they're not OS supported since they're running an earlier version of the OS they shipped with. May not take grief carrying them into a genius, and I can imagine with 200 of them you have internal tech support, but just saying as I'm sure there's going to be one miscreant out of those 200 that won't want to play.
Ccrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:21 PM   #25
DayOfChaos
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
More than likely, and you probably had a non-2011 10.6.7 build.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

You can see there where they forked the 10.6.7 patch..

Just as a FYI though, if you have problems with one of those computers Apple's "official" line will be that they're not OS supported since they're running an earlier version of the OS they shipped with. May not take grief carrying them into a genius, and I can imagine with 200 of them you have internal tech support, but just saying as I'm sure there's going to be one miscreant out of those 200 that won't want to play.
Yes, I work in the tech department and we service and repair our own machines. Thank you for that, they are under AppleCare and we will keep that in mind. Thank you!
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scrambled Screen on Late 2008 Macbook Pro After Updating Snow Leopard jnd3344 MacBook Pro 0 Jul 31, 2013 01:46 PM
2011 MacBook Pro with iOS Snow Leopard WhiteIphone5 Community Discussion 0 May 14, 2013 03:22 PM
Restoring Snow Leopard on my MacBook (Late 2009) raghav2511 MacBook 4 Apr 28, 2013 08:21 AM
Install Snow Leopard on a Late 2011 MBP WhackyNinja OS X 1 Mar 6, 2013 02:09 PM
Late 2011 snow leopard rheb1026 MacBook Pro 4 Aug 19, 2012 05:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC