Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 18, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
seppukukisses
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down BRAND NEW Powerbook doesn't work

I'm pissed. I got my new 15" powerbook today via fed-ex (apple direct order) and it DOESN'T WORK . The thing won't boot up, it just beeps three times and the harddrive spins, which means there's no good RAM banks (whatever that is). I found that out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442

My question being - is Apple going to dick me around on this? This is my first mac and i don't know what the score is. What I want is a new replacement powerbook - I don't want this busted one repaired. Is that something they're going to be willing to do - and if so are we talking about a quick turn around?
seppukukisses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

If you JUST got it, you can bring it to the Apple store (with proof you got it that day) WITHIN 10 days (to be safe) of recieving.
dotdotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Chrispy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Chrispy
If the laptop was a custom config from Apple then they will probably give you a hard time and expect you to just send it in for repair. If it was a stock unit then they will be more likely to do a replacement for you. Apple's customer service is hit and miss. If you hassle them enough you will get what you want. I'm sorry to hear about the powerbook and I wish you the best of luck.
Chrispy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 09:35 PM   #4
seppukukisses
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot
If you JUST got it, you can bring it to the Apple store (with proof you got it that day) WITHIN 10 days (to be safe) of recieving.
Can I take it to a store that sells Apples like Comp USA? I live in Albuquerque - we're too backwater to get an *actual* store.
seppukukisses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Call immediately after reading Apple's DOA policy...

https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/I...eturn%20Policy

Edit: Once you let them attempt to fix it, you cannot get a replacement.

Last edited by Sun Baked; May 18, 2005 at 09:40 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 09:38 PM   #6
cgratti
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to cgratti
Quote:
Originally Posted by seppukukisses
Can I take it to a store that sells Apples like Comp USA? I live in Albuquerque - we're too backwater to get an *actual* store.
First I would call Apple and talk with them. They will give you the nearest Apple certified repair center. It may be close enough to you that you could drive it there and have them look at it.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:48 PM   #7
JzzTrump22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JzzTrump22
Call Apple immediatley and tell them the problem. If they give you a hard time, just keep bitching to them. If it doesn't work, tell them you want to speak with someone higher up the chain, eventually you will get what you want.
JzzTrump22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Flyinace2000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzzTrump22
Call Apple immediatley and tell them the problem. If they give you a hard time, just keep bitching to them. If it doesn't work, tell them you want to speak with someone higher up the chain, eventually you will get what you want.

Just call them and explain your situation politely and clearly. If you got a DOA machine i do not see any reason they would not replace the unit. Just be nice to the person on the other end of the line, they will hold the power to fix your situation. I have found over the years the killing them with kindness gets far better results then just bitching at them.

-Will
Old May 19, 2005, 08:41 AM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I have found over the years the killing them with kindness gets far better results then just bitching at them.

Great advice that!
Old May 19, 2005, 09:03 AM   #10
capone2
macrumors regular

I agree with the kindness, sound.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppukukisses
I'm pissed. I got my new 15" powerbook today via fed-ex (apple direct order) and it DOESN'T WORK . The thing won't boot up, it just beeps three times and the harddrive spins, which means there's no good RAM banks (whatever that is). I found that out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442

My question being - is Apple going to dick me around on this? This is my first mac and i don't know what the score is. What I want is a new replacement powerbook - I don't want this busted one repaired. Is that something they're going to be willing to do - and if so are we talking about a quick turn around?

totally helpless on the phone and they will give you whatever you want, trust!
BT MMOUSE
capone2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:02 AM   #11
petej
macrumors regular

If it was my new PB I would get my screwdriver out and check the ram out before calling anyone. I'd probably take out the installed ram and put it back in again, making sure that I was careful and grounded. It's not unkown for RAM to becom unseated during transit though it is less common now than it used to be.

And I agree with the other posters, pretend to be clueless and you get much further with any customer service than the agressive smart arse know it all. It's hard at first but you soon get the hang of it.
petej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:32 AM   #12
witness
macrumors 6502

I've returned 2 PowerBooks in the last 2 weeks and Apple have always replaced them very easily, but I did do it at an Apple store.

Their quality control isn't great at the moment, but their customer service is generally unbeatable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs