Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:58 PM   #1
kenz0
macrumors newbie

iCloud to Google

Is there a way to transfer iCloud contacts to an android device or to google?
kenz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:08 PM   #2
vitzr
macrumors 68030

Apple is proprietary, plus they're at war with Google. Steve Jobs threatened to destroy Googles Android, there's no way Apple cares.

Yet I'm sure there is some sort of workaround. Someone with iCloud experience is bound to comment on your post.

I have had my cloud strategy In place for some time now, working fast, smooth & stable. There's no reason to risk the problems I had with MobileMe, not to mention the price premium associated with anything Apple. They always get the most money. Based on the Freemium model, iCloud will surely make tons of money for Apple.
vitzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:08 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

Transfer them manually.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:53 AM   #4
kenz0
macrumors newbie

Yeah I guess I'm going to have to enter them manually. Thanks for the responses.
kenz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

On OS X just export your Address Book (synced with iCloud) contacts to a VCF file then import that VCF to GMail.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 05:17 AM   #6
spiritflare
macrumors newbie

Yes: carddav compatible devices can sync via app

http://www.landofdaniel.com/node/blog/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz0 View Post
Is there a way to transfer iCloud contacts to an android device or to google?
spiritflare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
iCloud Control Panel for Windows syncs contacts, and probably Google can import them from there.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #8
ubercool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ubercool
Yes you can with a product called Syncmate. I'm using it only to synch iCal right now with my Google account, but it does support Android devices. Here's their user manual.
ubercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:59 PM   #9
adamking
macrumors newbie

Export from iCloud to Gmail

Three things:
-My Gmail account has and will persist through many generations of different devices that I own
-Gmail will most likely be more compatible with a wider range of devices, both presently and in the future
-I use many different OS's concurrently, so iCloud is too proprietary of a system to provide unified functionality to all of my devices in a manner as efficient as Gmail

So now, my method of getting contacts from iCloud into Gmail:

*This requires at least some contacts synced to iCloud

1. Log into iCloud dashboard: https://www.icloud.com/
2. Click "Contacts" button
3. Select All Contacts (click one contact then "Ctrl+A" on Windows)
4. Click the "Actions Menu" (Gear in the bottom lefthand corner) and select "Export vCard"
5. Download the attachment and save it somewhere you'll be able to find later (file is called "Acontact and ### others.vcf")
6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
8. Click "More" (the button directly to the right of the "Add New Contact" button)
9. Click "Import"
10. Click "Choose File" and choose the .vcf file you just downloaded
11. Click "Import"

Done.

*The "Find & merge duplicates..." option under the same "More" menu in Gmail is incredibly valuable.

If you're looking to sync with an iPhone again (but not using iCloud):
1. Do all of the above steps
2. Set up Gmail as an Exchange account: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin...&answer=138740
3. Disable iCloud once Gmail Exchange is set up

Hope this helps.
adamking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:08 PM   #10
melinasomas
macrumors newbie

Export from iCloud to Gmail

Thanks so much to Adam. This was a huge help - I followed you beautifully clear instructions to the letter & now am back to having my gmail contacts intact & have unsynced from icloud!

Can I ask is there a way to do the same thing with calendars? I want to get google calendar to sync with iphone. I still have the calendar turned 'ON' in icloud and in exchange/gmail, but again (like contacts) it seems it only wants to sync with one (currently icloud).

I am curious about those who have managed to get icloud, google and iphone to all sync (without duplicates or stuff missing)...but I think I will just go down the path of choosing one or the other so I am looking to do as follows:

-mail, contacts & calendar with google
-notes with icloud or gmail depending on which account I chose

I look forward to your advice re the calendars export/import into google.

Cheers muchly
Melina

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamking View Post
Three things:
-My Gmail account has and will persist through many generations of different devices that I own
-Gmail will most likely be more compatible with a wider range of devices, both presently and in the future
-I use many different OS's concurrently, so iCloud is too proprietary of a system to provide unified functionality to all of my devices in a manner as efficient as Gmail

4. Click the "Actions Menu" (Gear in the bottom lefthand corner) and select "Export vCard"
5. Download the attachment and save it somewhere you'll be able to find later (file is called "Acontact and ### others.vcf")
6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
8. Click "More" (the button directly to the right of the "Add New Contact" button)
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

*The "Find & merge duplicates..." option under the same "More" menu in Gmail is incredibly valuable.

2. Set up Gmail as an Exchange account: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin...&answer=138740

Hope this helps.
melinasomas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:59 AM   #11
MedicalDoctorNY
macrumors newbie

Adamking you're a legend!
Best instructions ever. thanks much

Quote:
Three things:

6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

Hope this helps.
MedicalDoctorNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:46 PM   #12
donrsd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Three things:

6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

Hope this helps.
Thanks man.
I only use iCloud, but I like to have my contacts in gmail so i dont have to remember what email goes to what contact.

I guess once every 6 months or so ill just delete my gmail contacts and import a fresh iCloud contact list.

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:31 PM   #13
marc11
macrumors 68000

There are two apps called Smooth sync for contacts and smooth sync for cal on Google Play. Once instaled they sync your contacts and events between your Android devices and iCloud, near real time. Now, no matter which device or OS I use to edit or add events or contacts those changes are synced across all devices seemlessly. Easiest way I have found.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:23 PM   #14
ieatcalcium
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
On OS X just export your Address Book (synced with iCloud) contacts to a VCF file then import that VCF to GMail.
Oh my gosh, this worked! Thank you so much! I have more than 200 contacts so importing each one myself would have been such a pain. I don't even think I could thank you enough!! (:
ieatcalcium is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services