Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
sap12690
macrumors regular

Found an iPhone 4.... safe to reuse?

I found an iPhone 4 in the park the other day and wanted to give it to my sister to use, since i already have one. Is it safe to use? how would i do it? she has an iphone 3Gs right now. I already reset it to factory settings, what steps should i take now? any suggestions?
sap12690 is offline   -23
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap12690 View Post
I found an iPhone 4 in the park the other day and wanted to give it to my sister to use, since i already have one. Is it safe to use? how would i do it? she has an iphone 3Gs right now. I already reset it to factory settings, what steps should i take now? any suggestions?
My recommendation would be to turn it in to the police.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
DryEyez
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have wiped it, I would have at least looked to see if there was any info on the phone that could be used in order to send it back to the owner who paid for it.

If it was your iPhone I'm sure you'd want a stranger to do the same thing...
DryEyez is offline   5
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:48 PM   #4
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

yup just set it up and restore from her 3GS backup...will work fine
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
sap12690
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEyez View Post
I wouldn't have wiped it, I would have at least looked to see if there was any info on the phone that could be used in order to send it back to the owner who paid for it.

If it was your iPhone I'm sure you'd want a stranger to do the same thing...
yeah, i checked into it and everything. but it was locked and the service was cut off of it. No way to figure out who's it is, since i found it at the park

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyjustice View Post
yup just set it up and restore from her 3GS backup...will work fine
do i have to swap sim cards with her 3gs?
sap12690 is offline   -8
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
yeah, i checked into it and everything. but it was locked and the service was cut off of it. No way to figure out who's it is, since i found it at the park

----------

do i have to swap sim cards with her 3gs?

Sure there is, call the service provider. They have the IMEID number and can find the person.
Rocko1 is offline   1
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

People always give the "Turn it in" response. Yeah, that would be nice, but any of you on here found $100 cash on the ground....you'd spend it w/out hesitation.

OP, the person has probably already reported it, so a carrier will not activate it. Only good as an iPod now or give it back.
Gix1k is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:12 PM   #8
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
People always give the "Turn it in" response. Yeah, that would be nice, but any of you on here found $100 cash on the ground....you'd spend it w/out hesitation.

OP, the person has probably already reported it, so a carrier will not activate it. Only good as an iPod now or give it back.
Finding cash is different, because there is no way to prove who that cash belongs to. Finding a phone is very easy to find the owner. Not only are you taking someone’s phone, they then have to get a replacement which would be full price.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:12 PM   #9
sap12690
macrumors regular

Quote:

it needs to be activated? Im just going from 3Gs to 4, i cant just switch Sim cards?
sap12690 is offline   -7
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Your analogy is flawed. $100 bill is near impossible to track down the owner, a cell phone, very easy. Sounds like you like to justify your immoral decisions?
Rocko1 is offline   3
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

Quote:
it needs to be activated? Im just going from 3Gs to 4, i cant just switch Sim cards?
Any other GSM phone you could switch the sim card and it would work. I am not sure if the iPhone works that way. You have both devices, so you can easily find the answer to that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Your analogy is flawed. $100 bill is near impossible to track down the owner, a cell phone, very easy. Sounds like you like to justify your immoral decisions?
Not here to argue, just saying what I said...Good day.!
Gix1k is offline   -3
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Breezygirl
macrumors member

No the sims are different sizes, you really should do the right thing and give it the police. Karma can be nasty.
Breezygirl is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:19 PM   #13
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
While you are doing that, let introduce you to Karma....
HitchHykr is offline   5
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Any other GSM phone you could switch the sim card and it would work. I am not sure if the iPhone works that way. You have both devices, so you can easily find the answer to that.

----------

Not here to argue, just saying what I said...Good day.!
And your reasoning is flawed as already pointed out by others. It's a poor analogy. There is no way to prove who the cash belongs to but it is possible to determine who the phone belongs to.

----------

Quote:
Do the honest thing and turn it into the police. If your phone got lost and someone found it you would want and expect them to do the same.

Or do the dishonest thing and keep it if your conscience allows you to.

Your choice.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:09 PM   #15
hexonxonx
Banned

Enjoy the phone plain and simple.

If I had lost my iPhone, I would expect the person who found it to do the same, no less.
hexonxonx is offline   -10
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:12 PM   #16
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Do you get that it's wrong?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:13 PM   #17
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Check with the carriers and see who the IMEI belongs to. It's not like she's in dire need of a cell phone considering she already has an iPhone so just do the right thing and turn it in.

For future reference, you are committing a crime called larceny by not turning in the property to the authorities. Have a nice day!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:14 PM   #18
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
Enjoy the phone plain and simple.

If I had lost my iPhone, I would expect the person who found it to do the same, no less.
And this is exactly what's wrong with the world today: folks doing the wrong thing and justifying it by saying they'd expect others to do the wrong thing to them.

The golden rule has become the feces rule?

Do the right thing.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Bootleg2go
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Turn it in to the police!
The owner will be be very grateful and it'll make you feel good for doing so.
Anything less no matter how you justify it is theft, and it will come back as bad luck/karma for you or your family in the future.
Bootleg2go is offline   1
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:16 PM   #20
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

Turn it in fool, damn!
moldy lunchbox is offline   1
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:17 PM   #21
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

If you're sloppy with your 600$ gadget then you shouldn't have one in the first place. Finders keepers, as far as I'm concerned.

The police would also not make it a priority so it would just sit there weeks or months on end before the owner is tracked.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:20 PM   #22
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
If you're sloppy with your 600$ gadget then you shouldn't have one in the first place. Finders keepers, as far as I'm concerned.
Another ridiculous rationalization.

The police would also not make it a priority so it would just sit there weeks or months on end before the owner is tracked.[/QUOTE]Another ridiculous rationalization. [/quote]
And ANOTHER.

You can rationalize it any way you want. It's WRONG. And it's crappy. And it's bad karma. And it's stupid.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
Another ridiculous rationalization.

The police would also not make it a priority so it would just sit there weeks or months on end before the owner is tracked.
Another ridiculous rationalization. [/quote]
And ANOTHER.

You can rationalize it any way you want. It's WRONG. And it's crappy. And it's bad karma. And it's stupid.[/QUOTE]

Well there is no arguing that it's illegal. But so is speeding, and everyone does that one way or another. I bet you try to justify that when you are pulled over by a police officer. Same goes for smoking weed, at least in the States.

Bad karma for keeping a found phone? I hardly think so. Deliberately taking a phone from someone else and claiming it as yours? Yeah, bad karma right there.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
SDColorado
macrumors 6502

If the phone was flagged as stolen and deactivated by the carrier, you may find that not only can you not activate it, but you may be opening up a can of worms with your sisters account, ranging from her account being cancelled to legal issues.

The finding a $100 analogy sucks, it is more akin to finding somebody's wallet. There is a way to find out who it belongs to and there is a way to give it back. Do the right thing and return it. If the owner is someone like me, you would get a decent reward for the return and not end up doing something that may cost you more in the long run.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:27 PM   #25
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
Bad karma for keeping a found phone? I hardly think so. Deliberately taking a phone from someone else and claiming it as yours? Yeah, bad karma right there.
So it's different because you never have to face the person you're stealing from? Sounds cowardly to me!

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland