Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfranz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Phoenix
Ok, so I have a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 PCI-X that won't boot while using any Apple AGP Pro Cards such as the Radeon 9600 that came in it or other 9600's from other G5's that I have laying around that work in other G5's.

But, an AGP Rage 128 Pro from a Power Mac G4 that I have works and boots.

So with the 9600's, the machine will start to boot and end up at a dull blue screen and occasionally artifact, but never boots. Machine chimes at boot and has no red or white lights. I have reset pram/nvram, reseated memory, swapped memory, etc. Problem only exists with AGP Pro cards.

Any ideas? Are there any "good enough" AGP 2x/4x cards for this machine? I don't care if it has ADC, DVI, or VGA outputs, all are options that I can use.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
There was no AGP Pro 9600/9650 for Mac. Only AGP Pro cards were GF5200, GF6800, R9800 and RX800XT.

Regarding you problem: are these 9600s ADC+DVI or DVI only?
Try cleaning contacts in AGP slot and ADC-powering slot. Use compressed air then isopropanol (or similar). Did you try to boot from OS Install DVD to eliminate corrupted graphics driver on HDD possibility?

I've had many AGP G5s in my hands but problem like yours never occured to me. AGP slot failure happens extremely rare.

bfranz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Phoenix
There was no AGP Pro 9600/9650 for Mac. Only AGP Pro cards were GF5200, GF6800, R9800 and RX800XT.

Regarding you problem: are these 9600s ADC+DVI or DVI only?
Try cleaning contacts in AGP slot and ADC-powering slot. Use compressed air then isopropanol (or similar). Did you try to boot from OS Install DVD to eliminate corrupted graphics driver on HDD possibility?

I've had many AGP G5s in my hands but problem like yours never occured to me. AGP slot failure happens extremely rare.

Thanks, I'll clean up the contacts and then try the drivers.

The card is DVI only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.