Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonecrafter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I've noticed that from time to time I'll get apps that just randomly close out and back to main screen. Doesn't seem to be tied to any apps in particular that I can tell. Last time was just about an hour ago and it was the "settings" menu.

Anyone else ever gotten anything similar?

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Umm I'm gonna assume the guy above me posted to the wrong thread.

Anyways a lot of apps don't save the last place they were at so when they get closed in the background when the memory is needed for another running app the next time you open the app it will be like re opening it again as is the settings app which doesn't save where you were when it gets closed

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Umm I'm gonna assume the guy above me posted to the wrong thread.

Anyways a lot of apps don't save the last place they were at so when they get closed in the background when the memory is needed for another running app the next time you open the app it will be like re opening it again as is the settings app which doesn't save where you were when it gets closed

I think you need to read the first post again.
Nothing to do with apps saving the last place they were.
He is talking about apps just closing/crashing down to the home screen randomly.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I think you need to read the first post again.
Nothing to do with apps saving the last place they were.
He is talking about apps just closing/crashing down to the home screen randomly.

What does that have to do with water damage?

Its a memory problem, I have apps that do that from time to time. usually facebook, gutterball golden pin bowling and flick homerun mostly...using the app, and then crash to homescreen, restart app and its all good again.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What does that have to do with water damage?

Its a memory problem, I have apps that do that from time to time. usually facebook, gutterball golden pin bowling and flick homerun mostly...using the app, and then crash to homescreen, restart app and its all good again.

Same thing happens to water damaged iphones too. Saw it many times.
If its not a software issue and it constantly does it after a restore and setup as new its hardware fault.
But if its a once in a great while thing where apps crash to home then its just running low on memory like you said.

Tonecrafter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
You guys are probably right. It's just a memory problem more than likely. I had MyTown 2 running for a while in the background if I recall and it probably hogged the memory.

As I stated before... it only happens once in a while. This phone is NEW and definitely doesn't have any water damage. Heck, it's never even left my office yet. lol

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
My old 4s did it and my new 4s has done it a couple times. It happened on Facebook, settings & AppStore. As soon as they open they close/crash. You should have a report of it under settings/general/about then scroll down and click on Diagnostics & Usage and choose Diagnostics & Usage Data. If you're are running ios5... Mho it's a memory problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.