Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 19, 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Konfabulator 2.0 Released

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Konfabulator 2.0 Released

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
running it now - other than some newly refreshed widget faces, I can't tell much difference from 1.8
Old May 19, 2005, 09:08 AM   #3
SpaceMagic
macrumors 68000

Argh help all... I went to site.. you cant do anything BUT download it.. and then it auto runs, u press next and its installed on your comp! How do I delete all this! How do I uninstall!
SpaceMagic is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 09:11 AM   #4
iGary

No, gracias.
iGary is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 10:05 AM   #5
bwintx
macrumors regular

Viewing site OTHER THAN download

http://www.konfabulator.com/info/ is one safe place to go to visit the site without getting the "download now" page.
bwintx is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMagic
Argh help all... I went to site.. you cant do anything BUT download it.. and then it auto runs, u press next and its installed on your comp! How do I delete all this! How do I uninstall!
First off, it Autoruns? For me, I had to tells stupid Safari that I knew it was an application, then I had to drag the App to my harddrive and run it.

Uninstall is as you'd expect. Quit Konfabulator and put it in the trash. (and the widgets folder that's in your Documents)
Old May 19, 2005, 12:44 PM   #7
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark
First off, it Autoruns? For me, I had to tells stupid Safari that I knew it was an application, then I had to drag the App to my harddrive and run it.

Uninstall is as you'd expect. Quit Konfabulator and put it in the trash. (and the widgets folder that's in your Documents)

It doesnt auto run, once it has downloaded it will un-compress and a window will open with a Konfabulator App icon in it and text saying to drag into your applications folder to install. It is the same as any other app on OSX.

uninstall? why would you want to uninstall Konfabulator, it has many more widgets and better supported than Widgets on OSX 10.4, but like the post above stated it uninstalls just like every other app in OSX, drag and drop in the trash.

So far all i have noticed is the addition of the info button to widgets, similar to widgets on tiger, looks like a lot of changes have happend behind the scenes to improve how the widgets are put together
ariza910 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 12:49 PM   #8
birdherder
macrumors newbie

I forgot Konfabulator was available for Windows which I am stuck using at the office. I've really started to like Dashboard on my Macs and so this is a great little add-on when I'm stuck in Windows-land.

As far as the Mac version goes, I'll have to try it at home.
birdherder is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 01:32 PM   #9
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGary
No, gracias.

yea i'll second that, whats the point in it.... I love dashboard (I just upgraded to tiger )
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Lacero
macrumors 601

My respect for Konfabulator was lost when they started whining like little children.
Lacero is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 01:59 PM   #11
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
yea i'll second that, whats the point in it.... I love dashboard (I just upgraded to tiger )

Konfab widgets can be displayed on the desk top – that’s why.
Actually they can be displayed anywhere you want, on the desk top, above all other windows, under the windows or in a separate screen you can pull up by pressing F8.

I love having a calander widget, a surf report widget and the weather widget permanetly on the desktop for quick refrence.

There are also many more widgets on Konfab than Tiger since it has been around for almost two years now.

I actually use both Tiger widgets and Konfab, they both have their benefits and unique widgets.

So far I cant stand how Tiger widgets take so long to load every firkin time I want to look at them, whats the point of having them if they take up to a min to load?
ariza910 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 01:59 PM   #12
narco
macrumors 65816

I used to love Konfab because I like the idea of widgets, but Dashboard is great because they are hidden. I hate having a cluttered desktop, so it's nice to just roll over my hot-corner and display my widgets.

Plus, isn't Konfab a total memory hog?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 02:33 PM   #13
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariza910
Actually they can be displayed anywhere you want, on the desk top, above all other windows, under the windows or in a separate screen you can pull up by pressing F8.

I love having a calander widget, a surf report widget and the weather widget permanetly on the desktop for quick refrence.
Ah well, chock it up to different work flows. I never have more than a few pixels of my desktop visible, so having something running on my desktop does nothing but distract.

Quote:
So far I cant stand how Tiger widgets take so long to load every firkin time I want to look at them, whats the point of having them if they take up to a min to load?
Yeah, it's a pain. Right now, when I reboot Tiger (which is hardly ever, but anyway), the first thing I do is hit F12 twice (bring Dashboard up and start everything loading in the background).

Seems like there should at least be an option to load all widgets at startup.

But you say "every firkin time" ... does it take more than a half second to display all your widgets when you F12 the second time? They're available instantly for me on all my machines after they've loaded at startup ...
jettredmont is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 02:51 PM   #14
SoundGuyDave
macrumors newbie

konfab

Dashboard is a bigger hog than konfabulator, processor and memory wise. And the fact that you can't choose to leave them on your desktop is beyond me, guess it would be ripping off konfab too much. How apple justs craps on its sharware developers is terrible. I repurchased konfab 2 just to show my support.
SoundGuyDave is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 02:56 PM   #15
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a

I've got a relatively high-end machine : RevC 12" pBook, and it takes at least 30seconds after hitting F12 before the widgets are functional. almost every time i've used dashboard, the widgets are displayed, but show old information, and take up to a minute to refresh, depending on how many widgets you have open. i found that more than 4 or 5 will basically render dashboard useless.
x86isslow is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 03:02 PM   #16
CubaTBird
macrumors 68020

ahh!

ahh! attack of the widgets! ahh! soo..many..of them...

CubaTBird is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 03:12 PM   #17
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by x86isslow
I've got a relatively high-end machine : RevC 12" pBook, and it takes at least 30seconds after hitting F12 before the widgets are functional. almost every time i've used dashboard, the widgets are displayed, but show old information, and take up to a minute to refresh, depending on how many widgets you have open. i found that more than 4 or 5 will basically render dashboard useless.
Works fine for me on my 12" Rev B PB. But if it is slow for you, just refresh (command-R), you even get a little swanky effect to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariza910
You can add the same functionality to Dashboard as well. There's been a few threads about it but I'll add it here as well. Open up terminal.app (applications/utilities) and type in 'defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES' - without the quotations.

Now press F12 to activate Dashboard, click on a widget, DO NOT let go and press F12 again. Now just place the widget wherever you want on your desktop. To move the widget back to the Dashboard area repeat the hold/release of widget again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Dashboard is a bigger hog than konfabulator, processor and memory wise.
Really? I found Konfab to be a huge resource hog when I tested it just before the release of Tiger. Dashboard, whilst memory hungry, doesn't use any CPU when not active.

Quote:
And the fact that you can't choose to leave them on your desktop is beyond me, guess it would be ripping off konfab too much.
Read above.

Quote:
How apple justs craps on its sharware developers is terrible.
Debatable. Read this for further insight.
munkle is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 03:44 PM   #18
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkle
You can add the same functionality to Dashboard as well. There's been a few threads about it but I'll add it here as well. Open up terminal.app (applications/utilities) and type in 'defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES' - without the quotations.

Now press F12 to activate Dashboard, click on a widget, DO NOT let go and press F12 again. Now just place the widget wherever you want on your desktop. To move the widget back to the Dashboard area repeat the hold/release of widget again.

Yeah I know about that hack for Dashboard, it's just way to much work and the widgets remain above all other windows, which would be really annoying.

Anyway, I really love both Dashboard and Knofab, they both have their own unique widgets and I think they complement each other very well. Any widget I want on my desktop I run through Konfab and anything I would want on a separate screen I use Dashboard.

I think we should be grateful to have two great programs such as these on the Mac rather than argue over which one is better.
ariza910 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 04:03 PM   #19
Stella
macrumors 603

No thanks.

I do not want Widgets on my desktop. Personally, I prefer them on another desktop like Dashboard does it.

I really don't need widgets distracting me. When I want to see them, I'll press F12 ( or something).

Each to their own - some prefer widgets splashed over their desktops, whilst, others, do not.

Additionally, it appears that Dashboard widgets are easier to develop that Konf.

Its good they are still developing Konf for the Mac rather than just dropping it. Konf has still a large following, it seems.
Old May 19, 2005, 04:18 PM   #20
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
No thanks.

I do not want Widgets on my desktop. Personally, I prefer them on another desktop like Dashboard does it.

I really don't need widgets distracting me. When I want to see them, I'll press F12 ( or something).

Each to their own - some prefer widgets splashed over their desktops, whilst, others, do not.

Additionally, it appears that Dashboard widgets are easier to develop that Konf.

Its good they are still developing Konf for the Mac rather than just dropping it. Konf has still a large following, it seems.

Konfab can work just like Dashboard, press F8 and all your Konfab widgets appear on a new screen, you odnt have to keep them on the desktop if you dont want to.

The main reason Konfab still has such a large following is its huge library of widgets already available.

I'm not sure where you heard that Dashboard widgets are easier to develop than Konfab, last time I checked they were both fairly easy to develop.
ariza910 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 04:36 PM   #21
James Philp

PB G3 500 384 MB RAM - Have 3 Konfab widgets open - major slowdown and memory hog they kill CPUs.
Now in tiger I can have 9-10 widgets open, and they only use up a tiny bit of RAM and no CPU.
Konfab is a major resource hog compared to Dashboard for the exact reason that the widgets stay active all the time.

Personally I'm not going to have 2 apps on my computer when i only need one.
There are now 204 widgets available for Dashboard - soon enough there's going to be much better widgets for us all to use than any Konfab.

Why develop a widget that SOME Mac users can use, when it's easier to develop for an App ALL Mac users have (and as far as I'm aware, no-one has managed to stop DB starting up)

To those who use both - if you don't believe that Konfab is a system HOG, you should try using it on a machine like mine! At least DB works well (better in 10.4.1) and doesn't hound my machine for resources unless I'm actually using it! In a month, every beloved Konfab widget will most likely be superseded by a DB one. It's been all of 20 days since Tiger - and 204 widgets in that time is really quite astonishing!

I had Konfab in the menubar for about 3 days before my mac was grinding down.
James Philp is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 04:47 PM   #22
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Philp
...Why develop a widget that SOME Mac users can use, when it's easier to develop for an App ALL Mac users have (and as far as I'm aware, no-one has managed to stop DB starting up)...
All Mac users running Tiger that is Don't forget that Konfab widgets can run on both Windows and Mac.

Anybody know how popular Konfab is in the Windows world?
munkle is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 04:58 PM   #23
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Philp
PB G3 500 384 MB RAM - Have 3 Konfab widgets open - major slowdown and memory hog they kill CPUs.
Now in tiger I can have 9-10 widgets open, and they only use up a tiny bit of RAM and no CPU.
Konfab is a major resource hog compared to Dashboard for the exact reason that the widgets stay active all the time.

I had Konfab in the menubar for about 3 days before my mac was grinding down.
I am surprised any new app runs on your Mac, maybe you should consider a slightly used iBook.

Konfab really doesnt effect CPU or memory on a G4 or G5 machine.

I still think that the whole point of a widget is quick access to information, if its not active all the time you have to wait for info to load and that just defeats the purpose.

from apple.com

"Check the time, watch the weather, track flights, view stock prices and find a local restaurant. Instantly. With a single click, the Dashboard zooms across your Desktop, giving you fast access to nifty widgets designed for fun as well as function."
ariza910 is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 06:22 PM   #24
GaelDesign
macrumors member

I really hate the Konfabulator UI. I don't want widgets stuck on my desktop. I don't like the fact that you can only have one version of a widget. I don't want to have browse my hard drive just to load a widget. I don't like most of their widget's graphics. Dashboard is far superior to Konfabulator IMHO. I never really liked Konfabulator, ever -- just the concept. Dashboard took the concept and made it work right.

Jared
Old May 19, 2005, 06:51 PM   #25
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelDesign
I really hate the Konfabulator UI. I don't want widgets stuck on my desktop. I don't like the fact that you can only have one version of a widget. I don't want to have browse my hard drive just to load a widget. I don't like most of their widget's graphics. Dashboard is far superior to Konfabulator IMHO. I never really liked Konfabulator, ever -- just the concept. Dashboard took the concept and made it work right.

Jared
so much negativity and misinformation. sad really.
ariza910 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion