Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1
tootall
macrumors regular

changed apple ID everywhere but app store still asks for old one

Hi,

I have read the sticky thread "AppleIDS, MobileMe, iCloud and Sharing: A Guide" but I guess I don't quite understand apple's ID.

I have changed all my references to my old ID (which was my work email address) to my mobile.me address. I have changed it on both my computers and iOS devices (iTunes and App stores)

When I update my apps, my old ID appears although my new address clearly appears at the bottom of the page in the selection tab.

I have even "rebooted" all my devices and synched with iTunes but I always get my old address. I am not trying to merge my accounts, I would like a fresh start...
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Because your apps where bought with your old ID, they are linked to your old ID. To change them to your new ID, you'll have to download them again with your new ID.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:26 PM   #3
EricNau

I think, but could be wrong, that this is happening because the apps you are trying to update were purchased under your old email address, so that's the Apple ID your phone automatically inputs in the text field. If you erase the Apple ID it auto-filled and enter your new one, does it work?

This happened to me when I changed my iTunes Apple ID. When I would go to authorize a new computer, it would see the old Apple ID that was encoded into the song (this is of course before iTunes+) I was trying to play. I would have to erase the Apple ID it auto-filled, enter the new one and password, then it would work.

EDIT: Looks like I was a little too slow.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:30 PM   #4
tootall
macrumors regular

Slow? wow both you guys answered very quickly. The answer makes a lot of sense.

So I guess I should delete everything if I want to start from scratch? The quickest way would be do delete everything in iTunes and synchronize so everything is deleted on all my iOS devices?? (what a drag...)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

That would work, but be careful. You may have to purchase the paid apps again.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:37 PM   #6
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
That would work, but be careful. You may have to purchase the paid apps again.
I think, but could be wrong, <--- I should start all my posts like this.

...That iTunes will warn you before purchasing an app. If you've already purchased the app it will ask if you'd like to re-download it for free.

It's still the same account; the purchase history is still there (or should be). The only thing that changed is the name of the account (or email address really, gah, Apple IDs are a pain).

Of course, with iCloud now, maybe this is much easier. In the iTunes Store, all of the apps you have purchased should say "Downloaded" instead of "Buy."
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:12 AM   #7
tootall
macrumors regular

OK guys, I have clean slate, I feel like a virgin, started everything from scratch. Everything that I bought on my old ID is not available anymore and cannot be downloaded from the cloud (no big deal in my case, I did not care much for what I bought in the past).

Thanks for your help

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier