Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 19, 2005, 09:01 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Safari RSS

Category: Reviews
Link: Safari RSS

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 09:43 AM   #2
tangerineyum
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tangerineyum
the article is wrong about the dictionary function. It's ctrl+open apple+D, unless its different in New Zealand?
Old May 19, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerineyum
the article is wrong about the dictionary function. It's ctrl+open apple+D, unless its different in New Zealand?
You're right cmd-option-D (aka apple-alt-D) shows/hides the Dock (if you've enabled the Dock option in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts), while cmd-ctrl-D shows the Dictionary entry for whatever word you're hovering over...

Other than that the article is positive although a bit shallow.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4
GodBless
macrumors 65816

Boy 7.7 out of 10 is a pretty harsh rating. Especially for the two cons that they gave it.

I would rate it as 9.0 rating and that is just because it has crashed on me about 5 times since I've had Tiger. No other negative things to say about Safari.

In response to the cons that they gave it -- don't get me wrong but we don't want extensibility (do we?), instead we want something to work well without having to modify it much. The only thing that is missing from Safari that would help it is a google images search option on top of the standard google search. Besides that, Safari has everything else it needs so it should score high since it isn't extensible because being extensible is a negative thing in my book. Extensibility is asking for inconsistency, bugs, compatibility issues and other problems. Their other complaint is that it doesn't run Explorer only pages. If this is their complaint then why don't they put that as a con in their Firefox review?

Also they ignored spell check as a feature that Firefox still doesn't have yet. What is up with their rating system?
GodBless is offline   0
Old May 19, 2005, 11:15 AM   #5
hob
macrumors 68020

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but could someone please explain this RSS "clipping-service"?
Old May 19, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but could someone please explain this RSS "clipping-service"?
Not sure what they mean by it, but I think it's when you go to a folders worth of feeds (from Bookmarks) and then put in a search term which searches through all the RSS feeds in that folder for it. You can then bookmark that search. This avoids having to subscribe to lots of feeds that you don't really care about.

So you might go to the Bookmark Sports folder, type in the name of a favourite player, bookmark that and then only if that player's name comes up in a feed will it appear.
Old May 19, 2005, 05:24 PM   #7
hob
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applespider
Not sure what they mean by it, but I think it's when you go to a folders worth of feeds (from Bookmarks) and then put in a search term which searches through all the RSS feeds in that folder for it. You can then bookmark that search. This avoids having to subscribe to lots of feeds that you don't really care about.

So you might go to the Bookmark Sports folder, type in the name of a favourite player, bookmark that and then only if that player's name comes up in a feed will it appear.
That's what i was afraid of... I hate organising bookmarks I don't mind doing iTunes now n then, I actually almost enjoy it... but Bookmarks *shudders*...

I'd really like it if in the sidebar on each rss feed you could click on "Add to Hob's Page" or whatever then have a "home" RSS page with the top story from all your sources... and then more info buttons etc etc... you get the idea

I just thought the Safari RSS implementation was a little... meh...
Old May 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #8
buryyourbrideau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to buryyourbrideau
i searched an i am feeling dumb but i am kinda out of it.

how do i add pages to my rss including MR

buryyourbrideau is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion