Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fingernagel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
This has been probably asked before. But I can't find any good answers (anywhere) in the Internet.

To be completely safe for all platforms you need mp4, ogv and webm (with a fallback to flash). You can achieve that with the video for everybody code. Very nice and just implemented in my page. The problem: I can't find one program that does the conversions. Anyone knows the best out there?

Right now I do the mp4 with Visualhub, webm with Squeeze and the ogv with Miro Video Converter. The first two give nice results, but the Miro Converter is not adjustable manually. This gives me for the ogv a too big sized archive and that sucks.

Please provide me your experience. Thank you.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Try iFFmpeg, it allows you to export in those three formats and gives you tons of options too.

fingernagel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Tried iFFmpeg a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. Its like a fisher-price toy in the conversion tools and doesn't work most of the time. And if I remember well, it doesn't recognize the Apple Prores Format.

I found now two more options for the ogv video:

1. ffmpegtotheora with a terminal solution (http://theora.org/) --> worked actually pretty good.
2. ffmpegtotheora directly in the browser with http://firefogg.org --> worked also very nice.
(somehow they didn't work with Apple Prores either)

Still, it would be nice to have a program that can do all three formats... any other thoughts?

Edit: I just did a new encode with firefogg and now it did work with Apple Prores. :D

Last edited:

fingernagel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I just did new conversions, since I am concluding my new webdesign. I do now the mp4 conversion with ElGato 264 HD, which gives me better darks and better details without pixelation than VisualHub and it does not change the white to a light grey or yellow as others do.

The only one I'm struggling now is WEBM. Firefogg does a great conversion, but the whites are a little darker and got this yellow tint. Any suggestions?

Abby21

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Well, you could get some tools that support the WebM Video Format, such as iFunia.

fingernagel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Checked iFunia today, but it had the same problem. I realized that the problem is actually by down-sizing from 1080p to 360p. Once I convert from a 360p mp4 to the webm the colors are shown correctly. Weird. Firefox and Chrome now show webm as their first option and it is the badest conversion of all three. Sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.