Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
StevenMRoth
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme - VERY slow internet

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forums but so far it seems like a great resource for Mac products.

Recently (last 6 months) I had to replace an old Linksys router. I figured with the quality apple has I would purchase the Airport Extreme router. I have cable internet and the Airport Exteme is set up for wifi for my home.

Typically there are only 5 different devices things that ever use our internet. We have a MacBook Pro, a Macbook, 2 Iphones, PS3 and a Wii. I live with only two people that utilize the internet; myself and my wife. It affects all the devices not just computers.

My office is literally 10 feet from my router and my signal is always strong but the loading of webpages is painful and streaming youtube videos or netflix on the Wii is impossible.

I was in a hotel last night and ran a Speedtest.net on it to see what the internet speeds were.

In the hotel internet I had the following:

Download: 31.36 Mb/s
Upload: 3.20 Mb/s
Ping: 27ms

At home which should be a better connection I had the following:

Download: 0.36 Mb/s
Upload: 0.98 Mb/s
Ping: 144 ms

I have tried the 5Ghz channel, I have tried changing channels which seems to help sometimes but I think it is just wishful thinking.

I call apple they say it is interference and even sent me a new unit after I went through the standard hard reboots. Letting the modem and APE recycle and power through everything.

I'm pretty much at a loss. I had the old one and they sent me a new one and the exact same thing is happening so it has to be something with the set up. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steven
StevenMRoth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
gsahli
macrumors 6502a

Have you connected a Mac directly to the cable modem and run speedtest for comparison?
Get iStumbler and see if there are interfering stations nearby.
http://www.istumbler.net/
gsahli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

I just did a speedtest and got this number on my macbook air in the living room which uses an Airport Express wirelessly extending from the Airport Extreme in the office.
I get 30+ if I go into the office and pull straight from the base station.

Not sure what to tell ya.

Mine auto switched to the 5GHz channel once I went into the office but that first run was still on 2.4 which should easily be way higher than what you're getting. I have had times where my home internet for no reason would drop down to almost nill but it would not stay that way for long.
Have you tried unplugging your modem and router for a few seconds along with turning off your computer. then plug everything back in just to refresh all the connections?
Used to have to do this at my sisters house at least once a day with more than 2 computers on wireless, it would come to a screeching halt until you reset the modem. Then it would go back to normal for 3-4 hours.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV

Last edited by mmomega; Nov 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals