Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just bought a 32GB iPhone 4S for my cousin who I've said I'll setup for her, and I've read the mega thread about charging advice, this one here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/525741/

It say's on the initial charge, charge it for 3 hours and do not use the phone, however I am sure when you plug an iPhone into charge it switches on?

If so then would that cause an issue in saying "Do not use phone"?

Also, is 3 hours enough or leave it plugged in longer than that?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
It doesn't matter as said above, but you should fully drain then recharge to 100% once a month to calibrate the battery meter.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Poor advice.

Lithium ION batteries should not be allowed to fully discharge.

OP, just plug it in and don't worry about it.

Well frequent full discharge to your battery is a bad idea as it can damage battery and shorten the battery life.

It is recommended at least once a month that you fully discharge your battery till the phone shut itself off and no longer able to power back on. All this does is calibrates the readings of the battery meter. Just one full discharge isn't going to hurt it.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Poor advice.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Apparently Apple gives "poor advice".

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Citation required.

Who recommends?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

On the bottom it says, "Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

Darn some got there before I did. :(

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Poor advice.

lithium batteries have a built-in circuit to prevent them from fully discharging! Also, the iphone never fully discharges or the empty battery icon wouldn't show when you try to turn it on with a flat battery.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Anyone else?

You are looking for someone to give you some magic information to make the battery last way longer but the REAL truth is that is does not matter. Charge it when you can and use it. Charge at night while sleeping.

That is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.