Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1
bob616
macrumors regular

iTunes Match and Getting Music Back on my Phone

So I enabled iTunes Match on my computer last night and this morning when I enabled in on my phone it deleted all my songs that were stored locally and is listing all of them in the music app with little clouds next to them. I was wondering how can I get all my music back on my phone on the local storage? When I plug it into iTunes it says my music is being managed by iTunes match and I can download the music directly from the internet; however I really don't want to click on the little cloud symbol for over three thousand songs. So is there any quick way to get all my music back on my iPhone?

Thank You!
bob616 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob616 View Post
So I enabled iTunes Match on my computer last night and this morning when I enabled in on my phone it deleted all my songs that were stored locally and is listing all of them in the music app with little clouds next to them. I was wondering how can I get all my music back on my phone on the local storage? When I plug it into iTunes it says my music is being managed by iTunes match and I can download the music directly from the internet; however I really don't want to click on the little cloud symbol for over three thousand songs. So is there any quick way to get all my music back on my iPhone?

Thank You!
Make sure you are on wifi then go to a playlist you want on iPhone. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Tap Download All.

Repeat for any other playlists you want on iPhone.

The songs will be downloaded and stored locally.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3
bob616
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Make sure you are on wifi then go to a playlist you want on iPhone. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Tap Download All.

Repeat for any other playlists you want on iPhone.

The songs will be downloaded and stored locally.

Michael
So Apple intends for me to download all of my music over wifi (over 4000 songs now that I look at it) from now on. No more syncing with my computer? What about meta-data? Lyrics, album artwork
bob616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:10 AM   #4
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
So Apple intends for me to download all of my music over wifi (over 4000 songs now that I look at it) from now on. No more syncing with my computer? What about meta-data? Lyrics, album artwork
Music that was synched to your iPhone and is physically there is obviously there and doesn't need to be downloaded. It just shows your entire library, and songs that are in the cloud that first need to be downloaded first (not stream) will have a cloud icon. If you want it to be on your phone, you can download it. Songs in the cloud rely on data connection. No Data connection, no iCloud music.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:13 AM   #5
bob616
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy82 View Post
Music that was synched to your iPhone and is physically there is obviously there and doesn't need to be downloaded. It just shows your entire library, and songs that are in the cloud that first need to be downloaded first (not stream) will have a cloud icon. If you want it to be on your phone, you can download it. Songs in the cloud rely on data connection. No Data connection, no iCloud music.
I understand that. I just thought it was inconvenient how signing into iTunes Match on my phone deleted all my music and there is no way to get it all back on with one click. From what I am seeing I have to make a playlist and add them all in that way or I have to go song by song and click the cloud logo to download them directly to my phone.
bob616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:21 AM   #6
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I understand that. I just thought it was inconvenient how signing into iTunes Match on my phone deleted all my music and there is no way to get it all back on with one click. From what I am seeing I have to make a playlist and add them all in that way or I have to go song by song and click the cloud logo to download them directly to my phone.
At the bottom of the artists and albums pages is a download all option, it'll save you a little time, anyway.
verwon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:01 AM   #7
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
At the bottom of the artists and albums pages is a download all option, it'll save you a little time, anyway.
I suppose, if you plan on listening to it again in the near future or you have the remaining space to do so.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It's not actually deleted. You can even sync all the playlists you want via iTunes using USB to preload your iPhone before turning on iTunes Match.

I have been saying this since September but people seem to believe the warning message more than what is actually happening.

Finally someone gets it (other than it DID work during the beta too):
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._local_syncing

So if you don't want to load up via WiFi you don't have to.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:39 AM   #9
JCCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It didn't delte all the songs on mine, what was there stayed there. You can change on the music app setting to show only the songs that are downloaded on the device.
JCCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone