Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeyman905

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Hi,

Had an Iphone 4 since launch day and all has been fine with my phone till the other day when people began to not be able to hear me.
Just looking for some help with this if anyone else has had this issue. i have notied a few things that i hope could narrow down the issue.

1. The issue is not always there, sometimes i can have a 20min covo and all is fine. Sometimes i can ring someone and they dont hear me from the start and some time half way through they cant hear me.
2. i can always hear the person on the other line.
3. skype, voice memo and other apps are not effected (i heard they are 2 mics in the iphone... is this true?)
4. I always have signal + 3G or WIFI
5. Can i buy a replacement part for the mic and fit it??

**Also on iOS 5.0.1

Thanks
Phil

Todthebod

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
Just to make sure, next time look and see if your face is activating the mute button. My prox. sensor doesn't work most of the time and it does that.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just to make sure, next time look and see if your face is activating the mute button. My prox. sensor doesn't work most of the time and it does that.
I had that problem a lot with my iPhone 4. The prox. sensor wouldn't detect that the phone was next to my face, which would cause the screen to turn on, and I'd hit the "Mute" button with my cheek.

monkeyman905

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I wish it was as simple as that, was one of the first things i checked as i tried the phone on load speaker as well and it wont work that way eith when its playing up so i can see the mute is not on

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Hi I have just had exactly the same problem with my 15 month old iPhone 4. Everything worked fine except my voice kept dropping in and out to the other person at the other end. Sometimes when my voice dropped out I could shake the phone and then they would be able to hear me again for a while.

The bad news is that I took into a store which just sells Apple products here in Norway and I have been told that they are going to replace it which they are obliged to do under the Norwegian consumer law. I must admit I am surprised that they could not fix the problem since it seems so minor. I have read a lot of messages on the web about this very same problem and they all come to the same conclusion, replacement. If I were you I would take it to the local Apple Store and ask them how they can help. Good luck.

monkeyman905

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Hi I have just had exactly the same problem with my 15 month old iPhone 4. Everything worked fine except my voice kept dropping in and out to the other person at the other end. Sometimes when my voice dropped out I could shake the phone and then they would be able to hear me again for a while.

The bad news is that I took into a store which just sells Apple products here in Norway and I have been told that they are going to replace it which they are obliged to do under the Norwegian consumer law. I must admit I am surprised that they could not fix the problem since it seems so minor. I have read a lot of messages on the web about this very same problem and they all come to the same conclusion, replacement. If I were you I would take it to the local Apple Store and ask them how they can help. Good luck.

Hi thanks for the input. Ur issue sounds just like mine shake the phone everyone can hear me again!! Mine is 18 months and well out of warenty. After reading a few other website fourms sound like its a chip on the logic board that goes bad. Sadly UK dont have the same laws as Norway but my uncle lives in Norway so if apple give me a stupid quote to fix it i might ship it to him and see if he can my swap it in a shop there..... cheeky i know but fingers crossed!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.