Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:44 AM   #1
TimWilliam
macrumors newbie

Match: how to delete songs downloaded to my iphone?

So here I am all excited about itunes match and even more excited when I downloaded my first cloud-stored match song onto my iphone...but then I started thinking, how do I delete it? Uhhh...

I haven't seen any threads or mention of this anywhere except some guy said that it can be deleted by swiping, which I tried but doesn't work.

Anybody know anything about this? I'm thinking ahead to after I've downloaded a crapload of songs and need to clean out some to make way for the new.
TimWilliam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:05 AM   #2
paulisme
macrumors 6502

Swipe left or right on a song, album or artist and a delete button will appear.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisme View Post
Swipe left or right on a song, album or artist and a delete button will appear.
What if you need to free a few gigs on your phone to download a new app? Gonna take a while deleting one song at a time. Would also be stupid to delete an entire playlist...
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:54 AM   #4
sturdenator
macrumors newbie

to delete songs/albums/artists from your iPhone (or iOS device) after downloading them from iCloud, you need to uncheck the "Show All Music" option in the Music Settings on your device. Without doing this, the swipe to delete won't work. once unchecked you can go back to the music app and delete as normal.

i wish that there would be an option to delete songs from your device via a playlist since i rely on playlists to listen to my music. it's cumbersome to delete via an artist or album for me.

Hope this helps!
sturdenator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Maverickster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdenator View Post
to delete songs/albums/artists from your iPhone (or iOS device) after downloading them from iCloud, you need to uncheck the "Show All Music" option in the Music Settings on your device. Without doing this, the swipe to delete won't work. once unchecked you can go back to the music app and delete as normal.
This is not true for me. They delete just fine with "Show All Music" selected. Since they're still in iCloud, they don't disappear; rather, once swipe/deleted, the iCloud icon appears next to the song indicating that it is not stored locally, but is available from iCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdenator View Post
i wish that there would be an option to delete songs from your device via a playlist since i rely on playlists to listen to my music. it's cumbersome to delete via an artist or album for me.
You can delete from within a playlist on the device or you can delete an entire playlist directly on the device -- both using the swipe/delete method. As with the above, so deleting does not make the deleted songs or playlist actually disappear, rather it just puts the iCloud symbol next to the song where there was nothing before (again, indicating that the songs are no longer stored locally, but are available via iCloud)
Maverickster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
hokiepokie07
macrumors 6502a

What if I go on a 2 hour trip and have about 60 songs that download? Is there an easier way than just swipe/delete for each of the 60 songs?
hokiepokie07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepokie07 View Post
What if I go on a 2 hour trip and have about 60 songs that download? Is there an easier way than just swipe/delete for each of the 60 songs?
You can turn off iTunes match and then sync a very small number of tracks via iTunes, which should replace the downloaded tracks with the synced tracks. Then turn Match back on. It's a pain but that is the only way I have found to mass delete. And even then there are some tracks left on the device.

We really need a true edit mode for music. Swipe-to-delete does not cut it for anything but a random track here and there. I would also like a select all.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:05 PM   #8
hokiepokie07
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
You can turn off iTunes match and then sync a very small number of tracks via iTunes, which should replace the downloaded tracks with the synced tracks. Then turn Match back on. It's a pain but that is the only way I have found to mass delete. And even then there are some tracks left on the device.

We really need a true edit mode for music. Swipe-to-delete does not cut it for anything but a random track here and there. I would also like a select all.

Michael
Yeah, right now, I don't even feel like using iTunes Match in my car because I'm not searching for random songs that played.
hokiepokie07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Maverickster
macrumors regular

Quote:

Michael
Agreed. They have to give us a better set of space management tools. Batch delete and/or the ability to set some sort of criteria for what songs should be deleted when space needs to be made available -- e.g when space is needed delete: [oldest downloaded song] + [lowest playcount] (or some other user-controlled criteria; although, frankly, this is what I would set it at).

--Matt
Maverickster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:08 PM   #10
gr8-1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If you are trying to batch delete all music on an iOS device, it can be done.

1) Settings > General > Usage
2) Let the Storage settings load.
3) Click on Music...on next screen, swipe and delete.

Note though that all music will be deleted without warning so make sure you have all backups completed first. I was having trouble with iCloud and when I did this, all my music showed up from iCloud as I wanted it to.

Hope this helps.
gr8-1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:21 PM   #11
chrisuab
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8-1 View Post
If you are trying to batch delete all music on an iOS device, it can be done.

1) Settings > General > Usage
2) Let the Storage settings load.
3) Click on Music...on next screen, swipe and delete.
Thank you Gr8-1 for providing the only viable solution to this problem with iTunes Match. My 16GB iPhone 4 has never had "low storage" warnings until I started using iTunes Match. I wish it would stream instead of download songs. Apple really needs to revamp the way iTunes Match works or else everybody's phone is going to have storage issues.
chrisuab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:48 AM   #12
bej432
macrumors newbie

Not working me.

I just tried the method below to delete an entire playlist of songs from my phone and it completely deleted the playlist with no iCloud icon to re-download. Any way I can get it back or did I permanently delete that playlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
This is not true for me. They delete just fine with "Show All Music" selected. Since they're still in iCloud, they don't disappear; rather, once swipe/deleted, the iCloud icon appears next to the song indicating that it is not stored locally, but is available from iCloud.

You can delete from within a playlist on the device or you can delete an entire playlist directly on the device -- both using the swipe/delete method. As with the above, so deleting does not make the deleted songs or playlist actually disappear, rather it just puts the iCloud symbol next to the song where there was nothing before (again, indicating that the songs are no longer stored locally, but are available via iCloud)
bej432 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Grandbrother
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bej432 View Post
I just tried the method below to delete an entire playlist of songs from my phone and it completely deleted the playlist with no iCloud icon to re-download. Any way I can get it back or did I permanently delete that playlist?
I'm having basically all the same issues listed in this thread and it's really ticking me off. How could the folks at Apple not anticipate the fundamental need to simply and intuitively manage the music downloaded to an iPhone through iTunes Match? This has gone from seeming great at first to being a huge time-suck just to figure out how to correctly free up the gigs of downloaded music that have pushed my phone's memory beyond capacity.

I'm currently having to run a restore on my phone thanks to it all. Why is something that should be so simple actually so difficult?!? Would absolutely love just to know the "official safe way" to do this.

Last edited by Grandbrother; Jan 1, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Anger
Grandbrother is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
juliocoutinho
macrumors newbie

You can delete from within a playlist on the device or you can delete an entire playlist directly on the device -- both using the swipe/delete method. As with the above, so deleting does not make the deleted songs or playlist actually disappear, rather it just puts the iCloud symbol next to the song where there was nothing before (again, indicating that the songs are no longer stored locally, but are available via iCloud)[/QUOTE]

It did not work for me to delete a song within a list. The delete button never shows up!

Any ideas?
juliocoutinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Moviemaker27
macrumors newbie

Delete playlists from WITHIN the playlist, don't swipe

Just to clarify, it looks like you can't swipe delete a playlist. Instead, click inside the playlist, and then scroll to the very top where there will be three buttons just below the search field, marked "edity" "clear" and "delete." If you click the delete button, it delete's the playlist, thus deleting the local songs from your device (but not iCloud) and clearing up space. I totally agree Apple needs to come up with a better way to manage storage as my iPhone is always full above capacity.
Moviemaker27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:05 AM   #16
juliocoutinho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemaker27 View Post
Just to clarify, it looks like you can't swipe delete a playlist. Instead, click inside the playlist, and then scroll to the very top where there will be three buttons just below the search field, marked "edity" "clear" and "delete." If you click the delete button, it delete's the playlist, thus deleting the local songs from your device (but not iCloud) and clearing up space. I totally agree Apple needs to come up with a better way to manage storage as my iPhone is always full above capacity.
Thanks for your answer. However these buttin do not show up fie Smart Lists, only normal ones.
juliocoutinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:31 AM   #17
Michel Goldberg
macrumors newbie

I read in several threads that since iOS 6 it is not possible to remove downloaded music from an iDevice when iTunes Match is on !
Aberrant !!!
It is writenned in iOS 6 user guide : When iTunes Match is turned on, you canít delete music. If space is needed, iTunes Match removes music for you, starting with the oldest and least played songs
Perhaps Mac Rumors could relay and amplify the information ? Don't you think ?
Michel Goldberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #18
pake
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Goldberg View Post
I read in several threads that since iOS 6 it is not possible to remove downloaded music from an iDevice when iTunes Match is on !
Aberrant !!!
It is writenned in iOS 6 user guide : When iTunes Match is turned on, you canít delete music. If space is needed, iTunes Match removes music for you, starting with the oldest and least played songs
Perhaps Mac Rumors could relay and amplify the information ? Don't you think ?
If it's supposed to work that way, then it's not working for me. I tried to take a picture just now and it said something like "cannot take picture because you have not enough space". According to this it should have deleted a song or two and have let me taken my picture.
Without space management, I'm disappointed with iTunes match. I've just turned it off so I can manage my music with my mac.
pake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:50 AM   #19
Debsy44
macrumors newbie

Delete songs off iphone

Hi Matt

If you read lower down under your post you'll see that you need to turn off iTunes match before you are able to swipe songs off.

I turned off Match and "Show all songs" and then went into songs as instructed and was able to swipe and delete
Debsy44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:25 AM   #20
derekS1073
macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm not sure if iOS 7 changes anything but even turning off Match, I can't swipe delete tracks. Anyone tried these steps after updating?
derekS1073 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:54 PM   #21
yasmanious
macrumors newbie

Hello, I have the same problem.

After upgrade by default it looks like I have some songs on the song list in my iPhone that say they are downloadable.

so I went into music and turned the option off "show all music"

most of them went away, except for a couple.

I would like to get rid of them, but they aren't deletable.

I can swipe to delete for most songs except for those ones.... the delete option won't show up for them so I don't know how to get rid of them! haven't tried using a computer with itunes yet.
yasmanious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:16 PM   #22
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmanious View Post
Hello, I have the same problem.

After upgrade by default it looks like I have some songs on the song list in my iPhone that say they are downloadable.

so I went into music and turned the option off "show all music"

most of them went away, except for a couple.

I would like to get rid of them, but they aren't deletable.

I can swipe to delete for most songs except for those ones.... the delete option won't show up for them so I don't know how to get rid of them! haven't tried using a computer with itunes yet.
I have this issue also and have yet to find a fix. One time I deleted all music from the settings and started over that way.
Primejimbo is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services