Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
potterbee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
How to install Cydia on iPhone 3G (later model 45)? Jailbreaking keeps failing.

I'm trying to install Cydia with no luck, as I desperately need an app from Cydia. I've trying to install it through such jailbreakers as blackra1n and redsn0w but i'll i've succeeded in doing is getting my phone stuck in recovery mode and having to restore it (lost two months of important texts during the restoring process, if anyone knows how to regain them that would be so great). Is there an easy way to install Cydia without all this hassle? Or a guaranteed to work jailbreak? I'm very new to this as I'm sure you can tell! Thanks for your help with this.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterbee View Post
I'm trying to install Cydia with no luck, as I desperately need an app from Cydia. I've trying to install it through such jailbreakers as blackra1n and redsn0w but i'll i've succeeded in doing is getting my phone stuck in recovery mode and having to restore it (lost two months of important texts during the restoring process, if anyone knows how to regain them that would be so great). Is there an easy way to install Cydia without all this hassle? Or a guaranteed to work jailbreak? I'm very new to this as I'm sure you can tell! Thanks for your help with this.
What is the firmware version on your phone?
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000
 
Kyotoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carnegie and Ontario
You should be able to just go to jailbreakme.com and select 'Install Cydia'.
__________________
Black 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Nano, Black 30GB 5th Gen 'Video' iPod Classic, White 16 GB iPhone 3GS, White 16GB iPhone 4(GSM AT&T), Black 16GB iPhone 5(A1429), 32GB 1st Gen iPad WiFi, 16GB 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Kyotoma is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
You should be able to just go to jailbreakme.com and select 'Install Cydia'.
Jailbreakme.com only works on certain firmwares i.e 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1. You can't just give him this instruction without knowing what firmware is on his phone.
Crystal-RX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The firmware is version 5.0.1, thanks for the responses so far.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post
Jailbreakme.com only works on certain firmwares i.e 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1. You can't just give him this instruction without knowing what firmware is on his phone.
Damn it, its not one size fits all?
I thought I could use jailbreakme on my PS3, didnt know it matters what device or firmware you have installed
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
You have a 3GS Iphone instead of 3G. The latest firmware on 3G was 4.2.1.

You need to read and understand more about jailbreaking, you can't just use any tool to jailbreak your phone, it will not work. Also, please note that jailbreaking 5.0.1 will be a tethered jailbreak for 3GS/Iphone 4 unless you have an old bootrom 3GS.

here is the link with tutorial on how to jailbreak your phone;

http://ihowto.com/1353/jailbreak-iph...ad-ipod-touch/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Damn it, its not one size fits all?
I thought I could use jailbreakme on my PS3, didnt know it matters what device or firmware you have installed
Yeah...OP used blackra1n to jailbreak a 3GS with 5.0.1 fw
Crystal-RX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Thank you so much for your help, you've been amazing! Before I go ahead with the jailbreak you wouldn't happen to know how to regain the last two months worth of text messages I lost during a restore yesterday, would you? I restored my phone a few times yesterday and lost nothing but my apps until the last restore wiped two months of information.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterbee View Post
Thank you so much for your help, you've been amazing! Before I go ahead with the jailbreak you wouldn't happen to know how to regain the last two months worth of text messages I lost during a restore yesterday, would you? I restored my phone a few times yesterday and lost nothing but my apps until the last restore wiped two months of information.
Was your phone regularly sync/back up with Itunes? if so, you can recover these messages.

http://iphone.jomra.com/2009/06/23/r...age-on-iphone/
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:23 PM   #10
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
It was regularly synced, but I have an awful feeling that I may have restored it again after losing the messages - is there a way to select the back up date I want? I know it was synced yesterday before restoring, but I was forced to restore about four times.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
I don't believe there is option in Itunes to select date to sync back to your phone.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:49 PM   #12
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Guess I'll just have to try it see. Thank you crystal rx, you've been so helpful!
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
No problem. So, what are you going to do with your 3GS, put on the latest firmware or go down to 4.1?

If you go down to 4.1, there are few additional steps you need to go through to get it restore, i can guide you through it.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:55 AM   #14
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I've done it using the tutorial you posted. Worked fisrt go, I can't believe how much time I wasted using the wrong information before. Didn't need to lose my messages . But it all seems good now, so I really can't say thanks enough.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:01 AM   #15
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Glad that everything works out for you. Enjoy your phone!
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:09 AM   #16
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Oh no, the cydia app I installed won't load - it says •Support iOS 4.x (still support 3.x) - does this mean it's not compatible with 5.0.1? It installed but closes immeadiately after I open it. In that case I maybe need to downgrade my firmware after all
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Because 5.0.1 is so new, i don't think apps in Cydia have been update so they are compatible with this new firmware. You might have to wait for awhile for them to do update.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:41 AM   #18
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Could I possibly get you to give me the tutorial on how to downgrade and install cydia from there? I need this app pretty quickly.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:47 AM   #19
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterbee View Post
Could I possibly get you to give me the tutorial on how to downgrade and install cydia from there? I need this app pretty quickly.
1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
2. Download Tiny umbrella to your compluter
3. Put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore and point it to 4.1 firmware.
4. Itunes will restore your phone. At the end of the process Itunes will give you a 1015 error.
5. click ok, close Itunes.
6. Open Tiny umbrella. Look at the upper left hand in tiny umbrella, you will see it detect your phone. click on that, then click on "exit recovery".
7. Your phone will boot up normally to activation screen.
8. Jailbreak it with redsn0w or limera1n.

You can download fw from www.iclarified.com and tiny umbrella directly its website.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:52 AM   #20
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post
1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
2. Download Tiny umbrella to your compluter
3. Put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore and point it to 4.1 firmware.
4. Itunes will restore your phone. At the end of the process Itunes will give you a 1015 error.
5. click ok, close Itunes.
6. Open Tiny umbrella. Look at the upper left hand in tiny umbrella, you will see it detect your phone. click on that, then click on "exit recovery".
7. Your phone will boot up normally to activation screen.
8. Jailbreak it with redsn0w or limera1n.

You can download fw from www.iclarified.com and tiny umbrella directly its website.
Tiny umbrella is 5.0.1 version, is that okay? Or do I need to find an older version?
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:54 AM   #21
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
tiny umbrella 5.0.1 version is okay.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:04 AM   #22
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Am I also able to use the same version of redsn0w I used to jailbreak the 5.0.1, just this time select the 4.1 ipsw?
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:06 AM   #23
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterbee View Post
Am I also able to use the same version of redsn0w I used to jailbreak the 5.0.1, just this time select the 4.1 ipsw?
You can try that. i think it might be too new and it might not recognize the firmware. Use limera1n is much more simpler.

Here is the link for tutorial on limera1n;

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...o-video-guide/

Last edited by Crystal-RX; Nov 17, 2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: add tutorial link.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:39 AM   #24
potterbee
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I'm in tiny umbrella and selecting exit recovery but it won't boot back to my regular screen.
potterbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:47 AM   #25
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Weird. It works every time for me.

you can jailbreak with Redsn0w from here. Try that and see what happen.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: iPhone 5S Jailbreak - can't install anything on Cydia AlvinNguyen Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Dec 27, 2013 09:24 PM
ML install on new disk keeps failing TheOriginalKi OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Apr 12, 2013 04:56 PM
iPhone: Problem With Possible BiteSMS in Cydia? Can't Remove or Install Any Cydia Apps... hlbenning Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Oct 19, 2012 02:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC