Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 5.0.2 Coming Soon to Address Battery Issues? iOS 5.1 to Bring New Siri Integration?

German site Macerkopf reports [Google translation] that Apple is working on two separate software updates for iOS 5, looking at both near-term battery fixes and longer-term improvements to Siri. Macerkopf tells us:
Quote:
iOS 5.0.2 coming very soon, solving the battery bugs. Should arrive before the end of next week. Apple is working hard on the update. In addition Apple ist working on the first big iOS 5 Update (iOS 5.1), bringing some siri-extensions. Also the Siri hardware-control is in work "take a picture", "make a video", "switch on/off WiFi", "switch on/off BT" and more.
According to the report, a new update presumably coming as iOS 5.0.2 is set to be released "no later than next week" to address continued battery life issues even after last week's release of iOS 5.0.1 intended to target those problems. A release next week would be a fast turnaround given that there has not yet been any sign of developer testing for an iOS 5.0.2, although iOS 5.0.1 spent only about a week in testing as Apple rushed to release the update to the public.

Beyond the near-term battery fixes, the source also suggests that Apple is working hard on enhancements to the Siri functionality of the iPhone 4S, with the update apparently set to come early next year in a more significant software update probably dubbed iOS 5.1. The report points to Apple's Siri FAQ to note that additional language support and expansion of maps and local search to new countries will be included in the update. In addition, Apple is said to be looking at a significant expansion of Siri's capabilities for controlling iOS devices, implementing commands for such tasks as taking photos and videos, and turning connectivity such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on and off.

Macerkopf has not been a frequent source of rumors regarding Apple's plans, and thus the report should be taken with some skepticism, but the claims do seem to line up with Apple's priorities of addressing continuing battery issues and increasing the functionality of the flagship feature of the new iPhone 4S.

Article Link: iOS 5.0.2 Coming Soon to Address Battery Issues? iOS 5.1 to Bring New Siri Integration?
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
vista.john
macrumors regular

Nice to see that!
vista.john is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:25 PM   #3
stridemat

Bluetooth on/off is something I have wanted on the multi-tasking bar for an age. Siri makes sense for doing this instead.

Just need a 4S now...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
powers74
macrumors 68000

Battery life

5.0.1 fixed my battery problems. Been using my phone since 8 this morning - at 68%. Not too bad. hope 5.0.2 doesn't bring the drainage back!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
mms13
macrumors 6502

Hope this is true. 5.0.1 definitely made my battery worse...I would love to see an improvement.

Also, Siri to toggle wifi and bluetooth would be fantastic.
mms13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6
oiuh151
macrumors 6502

Hopefully "lower/raise my brightness/volume" is added as well.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Hardtimes
macrumors regular

Its just as easy to take a photo as it is to hold down the home button. Am I missing something here?
Hardtimes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #8
ibuyufo
macrumors regular

They said the same thing about 5.0.1. I won't be holding my breath.
ibuyufo is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
crossifixio
macrumors regular

Finally

A toggle for wifi/bluetooth! Would also be nice to have it in notifications something already available for JB phones!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Hinza
macrumors newbie

I so hope that this rumor is true, we will have to wait and see if 5.0.2 comes next week
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Wickedgardengtp
macrumors member

"Siri, can you send a message to Steve Jobs in the iCloud?"
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:30 PM   #12
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossifixio View Post
A toggle for wifi/bluetooth! Would also be nice to have it in notifications something already available for JB phones!
This.

Who wants to tell their phone to turn Wifi/Bluetooth/Airplane Mode/etc. to turn on/off???

Just please give me some buttons down in the multi-tasking tray or the Notifications shade.

Sincerely,
T
T-Will is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:31 PM   #13
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Bluetooth on/off is something I have wanted on the multi-tasking bar for an age. Siri makes sense for doing this instead.

Just need a 4S now...
Couldn't agree more. Siri could make switching simple settings like these much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
Its just as easy to take a photo as it is to hold down the home button. Am I missing something here?
Slightly. You can also talk to Siri when your iPhone 4S is on just by bringing it to your ear. I still don't know if that would be faster though.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Hinza
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiuh151 View Post
Hopefully "lower/raise my brightness/volume" is added as well.
Why would you need lower/raise volume? You have buttons on your Iphone to do that...
I so hope that when you ask siri to do that that she will answer that you are being lazy.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:32 PM   #15
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

I always thought it was weird when overseas news site would report on a new rumour, because that rumour needed to be translated back into English. Somewhere up the rumour chain said rumour was originally in English, only to be given back to English speaking readers after the site makes it news and somebody translates it!

So weird!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Make sense - 5.0.1 was probably rushed out early to fix the security hole allowing apps to run unsigned code. 5.0.2 will probably contain all of the battery fixes Apple had intended for 5.0.1 had there not been a immediate need to release it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #17
echo2011
macrumors regular

Well I sure hope this "fix" actually "fixes" the battery problem...while you're at it Apple, how about tossing in the ability to downgrade to a previous iOS that actually does work.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Menopause
macrumors 6502

Oh yes I want to be able to operate all the toggles that useful apps like SBSettings brought with Siri !
Menopause is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Jeaz
macrumors regular

Tbh, I'd say this is pretty much stating the obvious.

The battery issue seems to still be there, so ofc Apple with address it.
And obviously Apple isn't done with all that Siri can do, and 5.x patches will surely add more functionality as they come.
Jeaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:34 PM   #20
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
This.

Who wants to tell their phone to turn Wifi/Bluetooth/Airplane Mode/etc. to turn on/off???

Just please give me some buttons down in the multi-tasking tray or the Notifications shade.

Sincerely,
T
Thank you for not being a designer at Apple.
Although it does beg the question of how (if Siri is dependent on network connection) one would turn wifi back ON once its off.
Seems that that indicates that they might be putting a bit more local logic into Siri?
GQB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:35 PM   #21
phreebsd
macrumors regular

Can't wait for siri hardware control!!
phreebsd is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:35 PM   #22
Hinza
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
This.

Sincerely,
T
Yh indeed that would be much handier.
Plus you can never ask siri to turn off airplane mode as siri needs a internet connection to work
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:35 PM   #23
SomeRandomUser
macrumors newbie

The "Take a picture" would be useful for self portraits. But I guess it depends on how much time Siri gives you to answer.
SomeRandomUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 PM   #24
sal74
macrumors member

Siri to control hardware features would be nice...finally!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 PM   #25
Feltzem
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I hope that's not all in 5.1. It wouldn't give non-4S users any reason to update.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion