Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcfroines

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Has anyone found out a way to stop the iPhone from playing alert sounds/ alarms during phone calls? I thought this would be a common setting, but I am unable to find it. I am constantly having loud alerts/alarms popping up in the middle of important conversations, and its driving me crazy.

Maybe I just overlooked a setting?

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I have the exact same problem. I don't think they can be shut off just during phone calls, at least not yet. I am hoping for a software update or some app to enable this. It seems like an issue many people (at least the ones I know) complain about.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Agreed - this is the most frustrating thing about my iPhone so far. Just noticed it yesterday when on a business call and 4 message came through - it totally distracted my chain of thought.

I checked other websites and this seems to be a problem from iOS4. I'm disappointed this hasn't been sorted out. I was deciding between Android and iPhone, and had I known of this bug, it would have been a deal-breaker in favour of Android. Great apps are one thing, but I need to be able to concentrate on my phone calls first!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Only way to do it, at least it works for me, is putting the phone on silent with the switch on the side. It won't vibrate or sound with a text or a call, but it will light up.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Only way to do it, at least it works for me, is putting the phone on silent with the switch on the side. It won't vibrate or sound with a text or a call, but it will light up.

Even if it works, one has to remember to switch back afterwards or risk missing calls because the phone remained on silent.

Apple clearly haven't given thought to this issue, and I can see it putting off many users, especially business users.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Good. This is how we get results...not whining about it on MR.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Good. This is how we get results...not whining about it on MR.

I partially agree. Although I'm new to this forum (new to Apple in general) I think the advantages of raising it here are two-fold:

1. This raises public awareness, and shows Apple that others are encountering problems - not necessarily just those who complain directly (I am sure that there are Apple employees who read this forum); and,
2. Mass awareness may encourage others to report the problem as well, particularly when those such as yourself encourage them to do so!

SomeonePlzHelp

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
California
I agree this is extremely annoying. I had a 30 minute job interview over the phone (this was the 4th interview for the job and the last interview) and the entire time, every time I got a text it would make a loud *ding*
It was very annoying and initially I was worried it would make a bad impression on the manager.
I really want to see a fix for this in a later update.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I partially agree. Although I'm new to this forum (new to Apple in general) I think the advantages of raising it here are two-fold:

1. This raises public awareness, and shows Apple that others are encountering problems - not necessarily just those who complain directly (I am sure that there are Apple employees who read this forum); and,
2. Mass awareness may encourage others to report the problem as well, particularly when those such as yourself encourage them to do so!

I see your point..I stand behind it.

digital2go

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
I agree with this and send a request to Apple. Hopefully they put this feature into the io6 release this fall.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
Take your iphone to skinny dip whenever it starts ringing. Believe me you are never going to hear any sound from it again..:p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.