Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wellington2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Hello. I want play video files on an iphone, but it would make the app's file size huge. So the only thing left is to play it from a server. I have a Dropbox account, but I don't know were to start. Any help? Can you lead me to a tutorial or give me one here?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I doubt DropBox would be 'cool' with an App playing back video from its servers for a number of users. Its original intention was to allow a few people to share larger files that wouldn't transmit over normal channels (e-mail).

Plus, if it does have a slow download, as the previous poster suggests, doesn't this also suggest that playback in a streaming situation would be poor?

I also agree the server rental (or running your own?) is the way to go. Dropbox isn't designed to work the way you are requesting

Last edited:

nickculbertson

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

YouTube. You can set your video to private where only those with the link can view it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.