Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Note to admin:
Feel free to relocate this post if it's in the wrong place.

I SWEAR something is fishy with this "top 5%" of users hooey.
I have an iPhone 4, grandfathered Unlimited data, and I tether with MyWi.

In September, I got that AT&T text message warning me that I was using "too much" unlimited data, and that I would be getting reduced speed in October if I used that much again. When I got this message, I had used roughly 18gb of data, according to the AT&T account management app, which I found unbelievable for only ONE WEEK OF USE. The maximum I could possibly imagine was about 4gb since I'd downloaded a few TV shows.

In October, I got the AT&T text message warning me that I was using "too much" unlimited data again, and I was about to get my speed reduced. At that time, the AT&T app said I was nearing 9gb of data in UNDER 2 weeks. However, the ONLY large file I downloaded was 300mb. No massive files, no torrents, no streaming TV shows, no streaming radio, JUST web and emails. How could I have possibly used so much???

At that rate, in under 2 months, every "Unlimited Data" will allow LESS data [at full speed] than the MAXIMUM tiered plan (4gb). Also, exactly how can they determine the average "excessive use" during the same month that they are reducing your speed? Shouldn't they use the previous month as a baseline?

1. Can some other "using too much unlimited" people please post your alleged data use when you were cut off [the high speed]? Including how many days you were into your billing cycle? Thanks.

I'm asking for "5%" users to share information, NOT for your opinion of "AT&T vs. ____", MyWi, tethering, high data use, "iOS vs. ____", your religious beliefs, your political beliefs, etc.. I am sure there are other threads on here for that.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have an iPhone 4, grandfathered Unlimited data, and I tether with MyWi.

Wait, you're actually surprised your ridiculous data usage?
Seriously, we don't need to explain to you. You know how the system works.

If you don't want your speeds to be cut, stop tethering. They know that you are tethering, even if you send a few MB worth of data. That could be enough reason for them to throttle your speeds.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
it is possible that some of your data use from last month was used right at the end of you billing cycle and rolled over into the new cycle b4 being billed creating the high data usage into october

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Wait, you're actually surprised your ridiculous data usage?
Seriously, we don't need to explain to you. You know how the system works.

If you don't want your speeds to be cut, stop tethering. They know that you are tethering, even if you send a few MB worth of data. That could be enough reason for them to throttle your speeds.

Exactly OP. stop using , mywi. Check back with us next month and tell us how much data you are using.

I am surprised AT&T hasn't sent you a warning about the mywi usage.

AT&T is being nice. Wait till they start throttling your data. If you are not happy AT&T will gladly cancel your etf and let you go free (because of your data usage if you have a single individual plan). To date I don't know AT&T canceling entire family plans.

----------

10GB is the currently "top 5%" of data users.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Exactly OP. stop using , mywi. Check back with us next month and tell us how much data you are using.

I am surprised AT&T hasn't sent you a warning about the mywi usage.

AT&T is being nice. Wait till they start throttling your data. If you are not happy AT&T will gladly cancel your etf and let you go free (because of your data usage if you have a single individual plan). To date I don't know AT&T canceling entire family plans.

----------

10GB is the currently "top 5%" of data users.

Im averaging 30GB a month no tether they will not slow me down till around 20-25GB on a family plan.

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
no I have not noticed slow downs. I have gone over 2gb but never over 5gb. but I've been close to 5GB before and never did it slow down my 3g internet on my iPhone 4s.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
no I have not noticed slow downs. I have gone over 2gb but never over 5gb. but I've been close to 5GB before and never did it slow down my 3g internet on my iPhone 4s.

Good to know, maybe they havent been enforcing it much?
When you went over 2GB your speed was still pretty good?
I havent been going over 2GB so I couldnt tell either way:)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
But they sell a 2GB and 4GB plans....so are they now saying that if you use your allotment, you abusing their system?

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Abusing "unlimited" is when you use a high amount of data, they "know" (thats up for debate) when your tethering or when your using your phone so they can deal with it accordingly. :)

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I'm consistently over 3 GB every month, and a few months i've approached 5. I have not noticed any throttling nor have I gotten a letter/txt/email from AT&T.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It just occurred to me that I really have no way of knowing if I'm ever being throttled or not.

My AT&T speeds have always ranged from 0.25 - 3.5 Mbps. So how will I know the difference between throttling and just plain old poor-service?

I honestly don't think I would know.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
9 days to go and I'm at 3.1GB, no slowdown.

I can see if they throttle the person in this thread that used 15GB+, but I don't see 5GB as a lot.

^ I thought they would send some type of message that you were going to be throttled. If your speeds suck I guess performance wise you wouldn't know. As far as being informed though I was under the impression you would be?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well according to this link below when AT&T mentions the top 5% they mean 2GB's.
So did anyone out there notice any slow downs after they reach that 2GB mark with an unlimited data plan?
http://www.att.com/esupport/article...ent+of+smartphone+customers?#fbid=cRIn1FPM0aK
I would not interpret that to mean the top 5% are being throttled.

But knowing how much some people use each month, and I mean FAR more than 2GB, then the top 1% is skewing that average. A lot.

Those are the ones likely to get throttled.

Also, that figure includes people on unlimited and metered plans. No way they are going to throttle at 2GB if they are either paying for 4GB or going to be hit with another $10 for an extra GB (if they are on 2GB plan).

I would venture they are, or soon will be, throttling unlimited users using somewhere around 7-12GB per month. No way will they throttle at 2GB.

Michael

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
But how do you tell?

I dont think it is fair for them to throttle my unlimited plan when they can not guarntee me a base level of speed.

I mean if they can always get me 7Mbs down, and then they throttle me to 2.5 down after 7 gigs, thats fair. maybe, a little, no, its still not fair. Unlimited is Unlimited!!ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.